Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What size booster pump 150gpd ro?

ched999uk

My pressure gauge arrived today so tested mains water going into filters. 28psi!!!! No wonder my pure production is sloooooow.

I am only using a small 150gpd setup as a starting point to sort of test things out. 

Been looking for a booster pump but it seems everyone is out of stock of 150gpd booster pumps! I can get 200gpd ones no problem and only slightly more expensive.

So looking around there seem to be 2 basic types, just boosters and self regulating booster pumps. I realise that over pressurising ro membranes can damage them but if the pump is self regulating to 70psi then that should be OK shouldn't it?

A 150gpd seems to be 70psi and 1.1L/min and a self regulating 200gpd is 70psi and 1.6L/min. So if it tries to push 1.6L/min through the 150gpd membrane and the pressure rises a self regulating pump should bypass the over pressure back to the input thus maintaining the 70psi shouldn't it?

Do you think a 200gpd self regulating pump would be OK on a 150gpd membrane or do you have an alternative solution?

Cheers

My pressure gauge arrived today so tested mains water going into filters. 28psi!!!! No wonder my pure production is sloooooow.

I am only using a small 150gpd setup as a starting point to sort of test things out. 

Been looking for a booster pump but it seems everyone is out of stock of 150gpd booster pumps! I can get 200gpd ones no problem and only slightly more expensive.

So looking around there seem to be 2 basic types, just boosters and self regulating booster pumps. I realise that over pressurising ro membranes can damage them but if the pump is self regulating to 70psi then that should be OK shouldn't it?

A 150gpd seems to be 70psi and 1.1L/min and a self regulating 200gpd is 70psi and 1.6L/min. So if it tries to push 1.6L/min through the 150gpd membrane and the pressure rises a self regulating pump should bypass the over pressure back to the input thus maintaining the 70psi shouldn't it?

Do you think a 200gpd self regulating pump would be OK on a 150gpd membrane or do you have an alternative solution?

Cheers
Where are you getting the 1.1 l/m as not physical to achieve that. Is a supplier telling you that

First thanks for all the replies.

Just a bit of background. I am trying to have a small setup just as a test. This setup is only a short term thing as if I can gain enough customers I will build a van based system using decent components.

Currently with a 150 gpd membrane on out tap pressure of 28 psi I am getting about 1 liter per 6 minutes. So about 60 US gpd. I guess I wont achieve 150 gpd as that's more a lab theoretical figure I guess? 

The 1.6L/m and 1.1L/m figues are pump output figures from sellers. So looking again at sellers specs (company beginning with V) on their booster pumps (E-Chen 203 series) they give a L/min figure and a suggested gpd membrane size. OK so figures may again be a little over estimates but thinking they are relative to the membranes.

I have looked at manufacturers spec on pumps as it's too expensive for me to buy lots of pumps and build a test rig.

The 203 series of pumps have a self regulating system that bleeds excess pressure back to the pump input. So in my mind a 203 pump that is a little big flow rate at 1.6L/m 70 psi when connected to a 150 gpd membrane shouldn't over pressure it as anything above 70 psi would just be bled off?

To sum up, I only need a small test system for short term use, will I be OK using a E-Chen 203-200 gpd self regulating pump on a 150 gpd membrane? I am not expecting years of use or to have a cheap pump running 24/7. I probably only need about 150 L per day. 

Once again thanks for your help.

Ro-Man do upgrade kits for r/os
Thanks.

I had thought of that but after 28 psi I thought it best to get that more into the optimal operating pressure of the membrane.

Also Ro-man upgrade kits suggest to put the second membrane in series with the first (ie in waste water line) I wouldn't have though that would be a good idea on a few levels (low pressure, clogging membrane etc)?

Thanks.

I had thought of that but after 28 psi I thought it best to get that more into the optimal operating pressure of the membrane.

Also Ro-man upgrade kits suggest to put the second membrane in series with the first (ie in waste water line) I wouldn't have though that would be a good idea on a few levels (low pressure, clogging membrane etc)?
The booster pump will compensate for that extra membrane. You need to boost that 28psi which ever route you take.

Ro-Man suggest that to save water. I would always put them in parallel. Split the inlet into two after the prefilters, one for each membrane, link the pures together and the wastes together before the flush valve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you getting down with the kid's ? you should stick with your pc like me 
I'm afraid all this high tech electronic stuff is leaving me behind. The computer is easier for me as its more straight forward. But I have to get the old zimmer frame out to get to the computer. ?

Back