Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Window Cleaning Pole choice

Phill Ricketts

Thinking about changing my pole, currently using IONICS grafter 40ft ...

Had several issues with IOINCS over the past several months so severing all custom with them so won’t be purchasing IONICS poles again ...

So, I want a 40ft pole to use all day, been looking at the Ova 8 which looks pretty good but want some input from you guys ...

Over to you, thanks.

I’ve tried X-line carbon fibre and gardiners and they were both good. A gardiners SLX is my current pole. I did the same as you for years using a 39’ pole as my everyday pole, which in hindsight is harder work than it needs to be. IMO get an 18’ or 22’ for the majority of your work and keep the longer pole for higher up stuff, your shoulders will thank you for it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Had several issues with IOINCS over the past several months so severing all custom with them so won’t be purchasing IONICS poles again ...

So, I want a 40ft pole to use all day, been looking at the Ova 8 which looks pretty good but want some input from you guys ...

Over to you, thanks.
Can I ask why you want to work with a 40' pole all day? It makes your working day far harder then it needs to be. If I were you I'd buy a Super Max 27- 3k. Then buy the triple extension pack 7-9 which will take it up to a working height of 45' I believe. You can then put the extension pack on when you need the extra height. If the budget stretches far enough then the Extreme would be better.  

Over to you, thanks.
Gardiners poles are the best out there in my opinion I have about 28 of them ??? I have tried most over the years and always go back to them . 

40' Grafter! ?

Gardiners, SL-X is a really decent pole, but if you can afford more they have even better poles in their range.

Over to you, thanks.
Hi Phil I have a ova8 35 ft also the SLX 25 , The ova 8 is a lovely pole no spinning Lovely Grip , But over the day using it non stop you feel it, Especially Reaching over Conservatorys to the Top Windows it pulls on the old Muscles , it gives you a workout for sure  , The SLX is Heaven it feels like a Feather i went against the advise on this site and went to the Ova8 First , I Purchased the SLX Within a Couple of weeks as i knew I needed a Lighter pole for the Average Cleans . I would never get rid of the OVA8 as I said its a lovely Pole but I Use it for the Tough to Reach Jobs , Thats My Advise what its worth .

Over to you, thanks.
What issues you had with Ionics mate, if you don't mind me asking? 

Also, Gardiner. Always Gardiner.

We use extreme and slx poles a local windie recently bought the ova 22 feels nice in the hand but really heavy compared to extremes I personally use. 

Gardiners products and cus5omer service as always been outstanding in my experience. 

Since I started using Gardiner poles about 9-10 yrs back I've never felt the need to try anything else. Started with two CLX's an 18 and a 27. Tough poles and nice to handle but a little too whippy for my liking when fully extended, especially the 27. I found I was wasting too much energy trying to control the pole whilst cleaning at full reach.

Progressed to the SLX's, an 18 and a 25. Really tough poles and more rigid, which I preferred.

I snapped my SLX 18 so decided to try an Xtreme 22 so I wouldn't have to use the SLX 25 as much.  I'm not tough on poles and for me the Xtreme is great (if costly). Love the extra rigidity and light weight, especially when coupled to an Xtreme brush.

My daughter now uses the X22 and I bought myself an X25. My SLX 25 is now a standby pole in case we break one and have to wait for spares

I can't comment on the other poles mentioned as I've never used them.

Over to you, thanks.
I only need 2 poles for all my work....an xtreme 25 and an xtreme 47 for high windows.....

Using a 40ft pole for all your work is not a smart way to work......you ll be telling us next that you still use minibore hose and lift a manual  reel out of your van every time you move it.....?

I only need 2 poles for all my work....an xtreme 25 and an xtreme 47 for high windows.....

Using a 40ft pole for all your work is not a smart way to work......you ll be telling us next that you still use minibore hose and lift a manual  reel out of your van every time you move it.....?
That I will agree with. ?

The rest ?

I watched a window clean with a fixed hose reel in his van the other day. I was interested in how he made it work. His van was parked on the kerb and his hose ran up the driveway. When he had finished cleaning the house he pulled all the hose onto the road in a pile behind his van. He then processed to wind the hose in untangling it as he went.

I went over to him and said hi. I told him I was watching how he managed with a fixed hose reel. He said he found it easier than doing what we do as he also used to take his hose reel out. But I wasn't convinced TBH.

Now a few years ago I watch one of the local cowboy outfits with his fixed hose reel. He piled the hose up behind the van, closed the doors of the van to trap the hose and drove off to the next house clean in the next block pulling his hose behind him on the road. I wasn't impressed.

With cold water using minibore hose takes half the current using microbore does on the same flow rate. Microbore is easier to handle but creates more wear and tear on equipment. Daz uses hot water so microbore is better for that.

I would strongly advise against lifting hosereels in & out, even with good technique you are at risk of back damage and hernia.

The rest ?

I watched a window clean with a fixed hose reel in his van the other day. I was interested in how he made it work. His van was parked on the kerb and his hose ran up the driveway. When he had finished cleaning the house he pulled all the hose onto the road in a pile behind his van. He then processed to wind the hose in untangling it as he went.

I went over to him and said hi. I told him I was watching how he managed with a fixed hose reel. He said he found it easier than doing what we do as he also used to take his hose reel out. But I wasn't convinced TBH.

Now a few years ago I watch one of the local cowboy outfits with his fixed hose reel. He piled the hose up behind the van, closed the doors of the van to trap the hose and drove off to the next house clean in the next block pulling his hose behind him on the road. I wasn't impressed.

With cold water using minibore hose takes half the current using microbore does on the same flow rate. Microbore is easier to handle but creates more wear and tear on equipment. Daz uses hot water so microbore is better for that.

What issues you had with Ionics mate, if you don't mind me asking? 

Also, Gardiner. Always Gardiner.
Hello Mate,

How long do you have regards my issues with Ionics? ...

I've had a nightmare with them for the past year and a half as i purchased a brand new Thermopure system from them which didn't heat the water, in a nutshell i took around 5-6 trips to their swindon factory for repair work to be carried out only for the next day the system to go faulty again and again, they would fob me off with **** about what was wrong with the system but in all honesty they didn't have a scooby doo.

In the end (around 3-4 months ago) i found a local Erbaspacher dealer who done a diagnostic test, found the fault and rectified it within 1 hour! He was disgusted with the standard of workmanship Ionics had undertaken on the Thermopure unit and amazed they couldn't rectify the problem in a single visit? 

Since having the system fixed it has been working fine and heating the water as intended, i had another minor issue with part of the system but a plumber mate soon sorted that out.

All in all I couldn't recommend Ionics to anyone, i was drawn in by their sales pitch and the glossy brochures showing top of the range kit (supposedly) 

I'll have a look at the Gardiner Poles and thanks for the heads up.

Hope all is well and you're able to work still.

* PLEASE ANYONE - Don't go banging the Ionics have revolutionized the WFP industry drum or blow smoke up their ****, I've had these discussions several times, companies must take the rough with the smooth and take criticism as well as any compliments,  IONICS attitude towards me once I started complaining was totally unprofessional, the MD of the company came across as a complete tool and offered me no help what so ever as far as he was concerned the system was fixed on each visit! so the problem must be my end?

Phill 

The rest ?

To be honest I only wanted pole recommendations not judgements on standards & how to work or why i do things a certain way.

But now that you've raised the points you have ...

Yes i lift a hose reel in & out of my van which is also complete with 100m of microbore hose, i have no issues doing this as manual lifting has been part of my routine in the 25 + years I've been window cleaning, sometimes its better to line the hose reel up in the direction your going to avoid snagging as I've found out many times.

I may be a newbie to this forum but not to window cleaning, back in the day we'd climb ladders 100-150 times a day up to 2nd floor level to clean windows so using a 40ft pole housed down to the smaller height has never posed any issues but i will always listen to good advise, plus it's good phys!

I get the feeling that Gardiner Poles are the way forward so will take a look.

All the best.

Hello Mate,

How long do you have regards my issues with Ionics? ...

I've had a nightmare with them for the past year and a half as i purchased a brand new Thermopure system from them which didn't heat the water, in a nutshell i took around 5-6 trips to their swindon factory for repair work to be carried out only for the next day the system to go faulty again and again, they would fob me off with **** about what was wrong with the system but in all honesty they didn't have a scooby doo.

In the end (around 3-4 months ago) i found a local Erbaspacher dealer who done a diagnostic test, found the fault and rectified it within 1 hour! He was disgusted with the standard of workmanship Ionics had undertaken on the Thermopure unit and amazed they couldn't rectify the problem in a single visit? 

Since having the system fixed it has been working fine and heating the water as intended, i had another minor issue with part of the system but a plumber mate soon sorted that out.

All in all I couldn't recommend Ionics to anyone, i was drawn in by their sales pitch and the glossy brochures showing top of the range kit (supposedly) 

I'll have a look at the Gardiner Poles and thanks for the heads up.

Hope all is well and you're able to work still.

* PLEASE ANYONE - Don't go banging the Ionics have revolutionized the WFP industry drum or blow smoke up their ****, I've had these discussions several times, companies must take the rough with the smooth and take criticism as well as any compliments,  IONICS attitude towards me once I started complaining was totally unprofessional, the MD of the company came across as a complete tool and offered me no help what so ever as far as he was concerned the system was fixed on each visit! so the problem must be my end?

Phill 
So.......guess who put a deposit down on a Ionics system two weeks ago. ???

I'll keep all this in mind. I'm too late to change my mind, but my specification for a system was deliberately simple so as if I did have problems I could rectify them. It's a cold water, DI only, Pure2O system. The most complicated part is the electric reel but thats a Waterworks 3D (well probably the B2B, actually). I'm sorry you've had such a bad time with them. It is annoying when companies just don't wanna know, had that with another in the past. Thanks for passing all this on, though. I'll be sure to check the system over thoroughly before signing and driving off. 

And yeah mate, if its good customer service you're after you can't beat Gardiner, and their equipment is second to non in my humble opinion!

To be honest I only wanted pole recommendations not judgements on standards & how to work or why i do things a certain way.

But now that you've raised the points you have ...

Yes i lift a hose reel in & out of my van which is also complete with 100m of microbore hose, i have no issues doing this as manual lifting has been part of my routine in the 25 + years I've been window cleaning, sometimes its better to line the hose reel up in the direction your going to avoid snagging as I've found out many times.

I may be a newbie to this forum but not to window cleaning, back in the day we'd climb ladders 100-150 times a day up to 2nd floor level to clean windows so using a 40ft pole housed down to the smaller height has never posed any issues but i will always listen to good advise, plus it's good phys!

I get the feeling that Gardiner Poles are the way forward so will take a look.

All the best.
Hi Phil

i don’t think anybody is making judgements or assessing your standards. Just offering help. It’s a great forum I have had a lot of help from these kind guys. 
You must be strong to work with a 40ft pole everyday, may I ask how do you manage down the sides of conservatory’s with that pole? I sometimes struggle with the 22ft. You can’t beat Gardiners for quality, and customer service. So many brushes too, you will be spoilt for choice. Happy shopping. Welcome to the forum. 

its your work....go about it as you see fit.....however with 10 years wfp experience under my belt(17 years trad before that) AND used most systems on the market(backpacks,trolleys,cold water systems,etc,,**** poles,manual reels(both fixed and lifting them out)etc,etc.....you cant beat....

gardiner xtreme poles(25ft and 47ft)

fixed electric reel

microbore hose

hot water system

these 4 things will revolutionize your working day into a more,efficient,easier one than any other way of working....

The rest ?

I recently installed my first van mounted system. Well, I say me, I had A LOT of help ? I opted to van mount my reel. I’ve found it to be helpful, especially when winding the hose in. Having a solid reel that doesn’t move about makes for a quick retraction of the hose. What i’ve found is I have to think carefully before each job on where to position my van to avoid snagging. This is possible on most jobs, but there is the odd frustrating job where I do have to pile the hose and move it around. Pros and cons though eh? I’ve worked with non fixed reels too in the past, and personally prefer fixed. Pros and cons to both. Pole wise I always go Gardiner. Very good quality, lots of brushes to choose from. One very simple product i’ve been very impressed by is the EZ wrap for the pole hose (for those of us who haven’t gone hoseless). It’s a promotional product, but works seriously well for keeping hose tidy in the van. The little things eh? ?

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/gardiner-ez-wrap.html

Back