Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Any advice or tips on quietening a booster pump?

Baldmonkey

Just installed a booster pump and tbh it's a wee bit noisy, has Anyon on here got any tips on sound deadening without it over heating? Ta

Try to mount it on thick, soft rubber matting on a solid surface with no void below which would act as a sounding box (like the body of a guitar). You could box it in and even insulate the box for sound and for frost prevention but definitely make sure to allow a cooling ventilation. If you mount it on a box, cupboard or tank the sound will probably be amplified and make matters worse. If it causes problems with your neighbours you may need to try and process during the day and evening. Or it might be possible to mount the booster pump a bit further away and run the pipe to the processing unit.

The above is for home processing. Could be a bit more awkward if you process in the van.

Good luck. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
First try loosening the bolts/screws that hold it to the board. Sometimes they can be too tight and stop the rubber grommets. If that doesn't work try tap washers between grommets and board. Are you using solid pipe to connect pump or flexi pipe? Solid can transfer vibrations. 

Make sure mdf is securely fixed to solid surface with no possible movement. 

If its still an issue you can get isolation damper mounts that might help. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Just installed a booster pump and tbh it's a wee bit noisy, has Anyon on here got any tips on sound deadening without it over heating? Ta
get yourself a tesco child's jigsaw puzzle floor matt and cut yourself a nice vibration absorbent base and bolt the pump onto it 

I think a lot of the problem is that they make a constant noise. It doesn't have to be very loud to be annoying.
If I shut my van doors it is literally a quiet hum. Even with the van doors open I need to check if it's still filling if I'm inside the house.

Van doors shut , on the drive, and inside the house I can't hear it.

I think a lot of the problem is that they make a constant noise. It doesn't have to be very loud to be annoying.
I can hear mine in the house, thankfully the neighbour is partially deaf so never hears it but if that wasn't the case it would be an issue. 

are they any louder than the  woosh or shoosh sound from the RO when its operating?
So many different systems, different pumps etc in so many different situations : vans, sheds, garages. For instance. They probably have a wide range of sounds. I don't get any woosh or shoosh sound from my processing equipment, only the sound of the booster pump but it's no problem as it's in a shed away from the neighbours and I can only hear it when I'm by the shed.

Mine is in what was the old outside loo. When its running under load I can only hear it in the kitchen and bathroom (both have a wall attached to the outside loo wall) but thankfully, the frequency and volume matches perfectly to the fridge when it is running, so you never really notice the sound?

So many different systems, different pumps etc in so many different situations : vans, sheds, garages. For instance. They probably have a wide range of sounds. I don't get any woosh or shoosh sound from my processing equipment, only the sound of the booster pump but it's no problem as it's in a shed away from the neighbours and I can only hear it when I'm by the shed.
Mine is in a wooden shed mounted on osb board with my R/O so is more likely to be more noisy with vibration and it will be the same as in @Baldmonkey who has a massive wooden built workshop

Latest Posts

Back