Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Start up help- Advice on purchases

WCF

Help Support WCF:

dazjw2311

Hi all

I am looking to start up a window cleaning round and looking at a back pack system. There is a big opportunity around my area as no one has heard or seen of a window cleaner in years so i want to take advantage of this. I am looking at a back pack system as alot of houses have limited back garden access so feel this is the best way forwrd. 

My question is, what is it that i need to get started. Its completely new to me so advice on everythng i need to purchase . I will be doing a huge leaflet drop and canvass a month before i intend to start .

Any other tips and advice would be most welcome.

Thank you in advance 

Hi all

I am looking to start up a window cleaning round and looking at a back pack system. There is a big opportunity around my area as no one has heard or seen of a window cleaner in years so i want to take advantage of this. I am looking at a back pack system as alot of houses have limited back garden access so feel this is the best way forwrd. 

My question is, what is it that i need to get started. Its completely new to me so advice on everythng i need to purchase . I will be doing a huge leaflet drop and canvass a month before i intend to start .

Thank you in advance 
This subject has been covered  dozens of times , try using the search bar at the top and you should get all the info you need , anything else specific just ask . 

Hi all

Thank you in advance 
Backpack is a good shout, though if you can afford it get a trolly that takes a barrel instead - https://purefreedom.co.uk/pure-freedom-25-litre-trolley-with-charger.html

If you do go backpack get yourself a transfer pump, don't do the lift and fill as you'll quickly get sick of it. Mate of mine just got a backpack and a tank is his van. He then transfers between tank in van and backpack. And if you do get a backpack, either stick it on a sacktruck or get one with wheels built in. Don't carry it! ?

Gardiner for your pole and will also do backpack (though it doesn't have wheels). And no, don't buy any other pole, just get a Gardiner CLX or, if you can afford it, SLX. 25 if you will do a lot of townhouses, otherwise 22 should do. 30 if you think you'll do a lot of third floor old design flats (high ceiling ones).

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk

Backpack is a good shout, though if you can afford it get a trolly that takes a barrel instead - https://purefreedom.co.uk/pure-freedom-25-litre-trolley-with-charger.html

If you do go backpack get yourself a transfer pump, don't do the lift and fill as you'll quickly get sick of it. Mate of mine just got a backpack and a tank is his van. He then transfers between tank in van and backpack. And if you do get a backpack, either stick it on a sacktruck or get one with wheels built in. Don't carry it! ?

Gardiner for your pole and will also do backpack (though it doesn't have wheels). And no, don't buy any other pole, just get a Gardiner CLX or, if you can afford it, SLX. 25 if you will do a lot of townhouses, otherwise 22 should do. 30 if you think you'll do a lot of third floor old design flats (high ceiling ones).

http://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk
Thank you so much for the reply all has been taken on board. In regards to pure water, do i just add a filter to my tap under the sink. Sorry for all the questions?

Thank you so much for the reply all has been taken on board. In regards to pure water, do i just add a filter to my tap under the sink. Sorry for all the questions?
Your fine mate. First you'll need to test your water, figure out what the PPM is. You'll need a TDS meter. Some companies do a testing kit but I canny find it, sorry. 

This map will help give you a ruff idea until you get a TDS meter. Then you'll know if you need to go RO route or just DI. Pretty much, 100ppm or lower you can do just DI. Over that you'll probably need RO. - http://www.ionicsystems.com/uk/water-hardness-maps/

TDS - https://www.daqua.co.uk/testmeters.htm

Don't be tempted to buy a cheap TDS off of Ebay, unless its from a proper company (like Window Cleaning Wearhouse - ) as it may end up being wrong. 

Once you know this, you can then go ahead and buy the appropriate equipment. Daqua are good as they'll help assist you buy the right stuff. You may also consider using someone like Spotless Water to start, who can sell you water until you have enough customers to justify building your own system. 

Your fine mate. First you'll need to test your water, figure out what the PPM is. You'll need a TDS meter. Some companies do a testing kit but I canny find it, sorry. 

This map will help give you a ruff idea until you get a TDS meter. Then you'll know if you need to go RO route or just DI. Pretty much, 100ppm or lower you can do just DI. Over that you'll probably need RO. - http://www.ionicsystems.com/uk/water-hardness-maps/

TDS - https://www.daqua.co.uk/testmeters.htm

Don't be tempted to buy a cheap TDS off of Ebay, unless its from a proper company (like Window Cleaning Wearhouse - ) as it may end up being wrong. 

Once you know this, you can then go ahead and buy the appropriate equipment. Daqua are good as they'll help assist you buy the right stuff. You may also consider using someone like Spotless Water to start, who can sell you water until you have enough customers to justify building your own system. 
I just bought two new tds testers from wintecs, £23 for the two inc vat and delivery was free. one showed our tap water at 498 and the other showed it as 505. Wonder if this matters much? (taps usually 530 but guess it can vary a bit) They both showed my pure was 0 as i'd expected as used new resin.

I just bought two new tds testers from wintecs, £23 for the two inc vat and delivery was free. one showed our tap water at 498 and the other showed it as 505. Wonder if this matters much? (taps usually 530 but guess it can vary a bit) They both showed my pure was 0 as i'd expected as used new resin.
I've never heard of Wintecs. I don't know if that small a difference is considered within tolerances but the worry is its giving you a wrong reading out the tap. Lets say they're both -20 lower than they should be. That means your pure will be 20ppm but still showing 0ppm on the readers! ?

But I'm not a expert. I'll tag mr @doug atkinson who should be able to help.

they're in Bodmin, cornwall. Quite reputable. Were the standard tds meters they all seem to stock. Was a bit concerning that one read 7 higher than the other, but I dont know if this is allowable tolerance like you say. They both read 0 after the di, and next production im thinking/hoping they will both come up at about 14 after the ro, before the di, which i usually get.

I've never heard of Wintecs. I don't know if that small a difference is considered within tolerances but the worry is its giving you a wrong reading out the tap. Lets say they're both -20 lower than they should be. That means your pure will be 20ppm but still showing 0ppm on the readers! ?

But I'm not a expert. I'll tag mr @doug atkinson who should be able to help.
Something I cannot answer as a genuine meter I cannot sell it at that price. You will have to speak to Wintecs

The spec sheets say they should be 'Accuracy: +/- 2%' which at 500tds is about +/-10 units. So they could be both within specs as they are only 7 units difference. I think there is a calibration fluid you can get but you would really need 3 different solutions as just testing a high value doesn't mean the low end is accurate as well. Ideally you should do a 3 point calibration using calibration fluid at 0 tds say 250 tds and say 500 tds and adjust the potentiometer to get all 3 readings as close as possible. 

For window cleaning I doubt extreme accuracy is needed.  

The spec sheets say they should be 'Accuracy: +/- 2%' which at 500tds is about +/-10 units. So they could be both within specs as they are only 7 units difference. I think there is a calibration fluid you can get but you would really need 3 different solutions as just testing a high value doesn't mean the low end is accurate as well. Ideally you should do a 3 point calibration using calibration fluid at 0 tds say 250 tds and say 500 tds and adjust the potentiometer to get all 3 readings as close as possible. 

For window cleaning I doubt extreme accuracy is needed.  
should be fine, I reckon after the ro at most there might only be difference of 1

Thanks for all your input guys, i feel i know exactly what i need now, DI system is all i need as my aera is only 39 tds. I will test it first before i by the vessel. 

One last question. How many litres should i carry per 20 house holds on average?, lets say 3 bed houses.

Thanks for all your input guys, i feel i know exactly what i need now, DI system is all i need as my aera is only 39 tds. I will test it first before i by the vessel.
Buy two vessels & use double DI. This will preserve the life of your resin:

One last question. How many litres should i carry per 20 house holds on average?, lets say 3 bed houses.
Roughly 20L to 25L per house on maintenance cleans. 50L per house on first cleans.

hard to know exact as so many factors, how dirty etc, conservatory etc, but  at least 300 litres id say.

Back