Who's taking the second SEISS grant?

Both me  and my wife have received an invite to apply for the second and final tranche of the grant.

My wife's a Dog Walker and has hardly worked since March so took the first payment and she's only got about 20% of her customers at the moment as they are either teachers or on furlough, things should start picking up for her next month. She's took quite a big hit so will be taking the second grant.

My own circumstances are I'm probably down about £100 per month on some commercial. I'm still debating on taking the grant as I think the commercial will be back in October when furlough ends.

My accountant says take the money as we don't know what the coming months will bring with mass redundancies etc.

I'm still in two minds so I think I'll hold back until October and decide before the scheme ends.

What will you guys be doing?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Part Timer

• Markyboy 50

• Dave B

• Iron Giant

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I need an apology...I did not post anything about electric garage doors!!!! was another members post as to what he was going to use the grant for I believe.

I've actually got 3 emails from my commercial customers stating that jobs have been delayed, put on hold or frequency changed, due to the current situation. I've  never been unemployed for 40 yea

I read an article online by Martin Lewis. An expert in law said the Gov left it wide open for interpretation by saying adversely affected with no specifics by how much. He said HMRC would find it nigh

Posted Images

I’m still in 2 minds. I’m prob down about £150 a month to what I was pre COVID. I guess I should claim. I’ve had an email from the government saying I should be eligible if my ive been adversely affected. What that mean? Is £150 an appropriate amount to be considered adverse?

4 minutes ago, Markyboy 50 said:

I’m still in 2 minds. I’m prob down about £150 a month to what I was pre COVID. I guess I should claim. I’ve had an email from the government saying I should be eligible if my ive been adversely affected. What that mean? Is £150 an appropriate amount to be considered adverse?

That works out at about £2k loss in a year, for some people thats over a months wages, I'd say thats adversely affected...

Both me and my son are, he's already got approval for his and I can apply on the 21st. I have 3 emails from customers that have said due to the current situation they are either cancelling, postponing or changing to 2 monthly, from monthly. I also have invoice proof that other regulars are not as regular. As far as I'm concerned that entitles me to claim.

• Like 2

I’m earning more than I did last year so wasn’t going to apply. However, I’m still losing customers who have lost their jobs.

My concern is if the **** really hits the van after the furlough scheme ends -as most people are expecting- I could lose a lot of customers. I was expecting something around 20%. However, we won’t know the outcome of that until after the deadline for applications passes.

Unfortunately, my powers of divination are non existent. 

10 hours ago, dmw said:

Both me  and my wife have received an invite to apply for the second and final tranche of the grant.

My wife's a Dog Walker and has hardly worked since March so took the first payment and she's only got about 20% of her customers at the moment as they are either teachers or on furlough, things should start picking up for her next month. She's took quite a big hit so will be taking the second grant.

My own circumstances are I'm probably down about £100 per month on some commercial. I'm still debating on taking the grant as I think the commercial will be back in October when furlough ends.

My accountant says take the money as we don't know what the coming months will bring with mass redundancies etc.

I'm still in two minds so I think I'll hold back until October and decide before the scheme ends.

What will you guys be doing?

I was thinking like that with the first one until @Part Timerand others pointed out I would be paying payingk through tax and ni increases anyway so stupid not to claim it.

5 hours ago, Markyboy 50 said:

basically if you were eligible for the first one and still suffering no matter how slightly you are still adversely affected and should claim.

I ain't down in income so haven't been effected by covid through the second period and that's what question is asked, I think @dmw's wife is the perfect example for been effected by covid as her business is down by 80%, 

Yes it may all go Pete Tong later this year but I have my money in the bank for January tax bill, so I'll ride out the storm come next year when you submit your tax return I reckon that's when they will start looking into businesses and start possible investigations, been down a £150 a month in earnings won't qualify as been adversely effected. 

20 minutes ago, Dave B said:

I was thinking like that with the first one until @Part Timerand others pointed out I would be paying payingk through tax and ni increases anyway so stupid not to claim it.

All I would say on this one is if you do claim don't spend it like @mike007 did his first  on a new electric garage door, and put it to one side as I believe a lot of people will be investigated and made to prove you were entitled to it.

15 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

All I would say on this one is if you do claim don't spend it like @mike007 did his first  on a new electric garage door, and put it to one side as I believe a lot of people will be investigated and made to prove you were entitled to it.

Ah that was me with the garage doors. It was tongue in cheek. I was gonna buy them anyway. It just happened to happen at the same time as the first payment was made. 

I just cant justify it to myself this 2nd one. Im only a couple of customers still down through it ( jobs where they are frail/ill and where I need to walk through the house to the back) But, have picked up plenty since this, so im not down. 

40 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

Adversely affected is all it says.

Whether a grand or a quid it's Adversely affected. 

It isn't stated you need to prove a certain amount or anything.

Just take it and carry on working.

We have all lost a few customers so all could do with a top up.

27 minutes ago, Markyboy 50 said:

Ah that was me with the garage doors. It was tongue in cheek. I was gonna buy them anyway. It just happened to happen at the same time as the first payment was made. 

I just remembered it was a strange "Mark" character, I stand corrected 😃

• Haha 2
14 minutes ago, Part Timer said:

I just remembered it was a strange "Mark" character, I stand corrected 😃

Still a strange Mark 😂

• Haha 1
  • Agree 2
11 hours ago, Part Timer said:

I need an apology...I did not post anything about electric garage doors!!!! was another members post as to what he was going to use the grant for I believe.

Window master

I am wondering if I can apply. It’s a bit unclear to what extent. I’ve lost about 6 customers and two today whom are ending. Did not say but it’s deffo covid related. I only clean outside on the factory I clean for, plus I was not walking through houses only fronts on some. I’ve not been able to build like hoped and planned either. I’m down money wise a bit but long ok. Everyone I speak to is applying for it but saying busy, something just not sitting right with me in regards am I eligible and feeling clear about it. 
I do fear if it gets worse when furlough stops and I’m starting to get customers saying they can not have the cleaning.  

3 minutes ago, Window master said:

I am wondering if I can apply. It’s a bit unclear to what extent. I’ve lost about 6 customers and two today whom are ending. Did not say but it’s deffo covid related. I only clean outside on the factory I clean for, plus I was not walking through houses only fronts on some. I’ve not been able to build like hoped and planned either. I’m down money wise a bit but long ok. Everyone I speak to is applying for it but saying busy, something just not sitting right with me in regards am I eligible and feeling clear about it. 
I do fear if it gets worse when furlough stops and I’m starting to get customers saying they can not have the cleaning.  

If anyone has messaged you mentioning canceling due to Covid then strictly speaking you're entitled. Just keep the message as proof, also if you do don't spend the money just incase they want it back.

If you start to apply it does explain, a little, the criteria for being eligible. I believe the bottom line is have you earned less due to Covid since 14th July. If you have (and you can prove it - my interpretation) then just try and apply and read what you are agreeing to if you honestly answer the questions then claim. It doesn't mention if the less earnings are £1 or £10000. Remember if they audit you can you prove your income reduced or your costs increased?

7 hours ago, Window master said:

If your takings are down with covid I suppose you can take the money, ( mine are) and things could get a lot worse next year.

I've got a pub in Oldham to clean today and it could be the last time if local lockdown comes in so that will add on to my £100 p.m. loss and is a direct result of covid.

I'll decide before the deadline but I'm erring on claiming it.

23 hours ago, mike007 said:

Bet you want one though 🤣😆😂