Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Done my back in..

cleaniac

Cant believe it, I have done my back in. Couldn't walk or even stand Monday night, had to go into hospital, morphine, gas and air by ambulance the pain was incredible, all round my back, along the front of my tummy, down the top of my legs (the front thigh). I had been a bit under the weather for the last couple of days; migraine, and feeling generally ****; no fever though. They don't know what it cold be, taken the week off, still in moderate pain, currently on diazepam.

Never had back pain before. I hope this isn't permanent. 

Oh no! I’m very sorry to hear this, and hope this is something that will pass quickly for you. Mine’s causing me a bit of gyp lately too, but am hoping it’s just because I’ve joined a gym and I’ve caused a minor twinge or something. 

all the very best with recovery 

I did some soft tissue damage to my lower back a few years ago and it took over a year to fully recover. It's the reason my hosereel is now fixed in the van.

Hope you recover quickly.

Hope the rest helps.

i had a pull two years ago and was off for the week yours sounds more serious if it takes a month of rest it is better to take the early financial hit rather than a long term hit in the pocket by going back too early.

i find sleeping on an electric heat Matt on a carpeted floor helpes me relax the muscles reduce pain and even fix it. The physio has said not to use back supports but I used a strong back support for for a short while to work, I don’t think they appreciate how much flexing our backs take in this game.

Good luck and hope you get better soon.

Thanks guys, it seems to be loosening up. I was in St Peters hospital Monday night practically unable to walk at all, it was like having a hot spear pushed through my lower back into my tummy. Been flat on my back since then, and now i'm starting to move about, I am able to walk now without massive pain and sit in a chair, but every now and then a spasm kicks. I have been given some rather difficult painful back exercises to do but they must be working because even this afternoon its considerably looser than it was this morning. 

I was told that its entirely possible that I had a cold virus go to the spine (i didn't know that could even happen), because they tested for infection levels and my kidneys, liver, pancreas are all normal, my resting heart rate 28. I'm just going to take the week off.

I did have a motorcycle accident last year and split my shoulder socket in half, its healed but it does give me pain when working and they also said that my body may be compensating due to the weakness on the socket putting strain on the back. I also picked up some rather heavy 30kg Kef 104/2 Raymond Cook hi-fi speakers the other day for my listening room, but i don't think that caused it as i had help to lift them into the car.

But they said they cant really tell whats caused it, could be any combination of those. I do have fixed reels in the van so no lifting for work.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW that is a seriously low resting heart rate - you must be as fit as an athlete!!!

Hope you back feels better soon. 
hahah yeah, the nurse was like whaaaat???

i'm no athlete, I am a bit chubby round the tummy but my resting heart rate has always been around 28-30

i'm no athlete, I am a bit chubby round the tummy but my resting heart rate has always been around 28-30
I did my back in a few times and couldn't work without painkillers and a clever yellow back strap (£23 from Amazon). I have three back supports now and wear them all the time when I'm working. Best thing I have ever bought was the back support and many folk see me wearing it and buy one and love it. ?

I did my back in a few times and couldn't work without painkillers and a clever yellow back strap (£23 from Amazon). I have three back supports know and wear them all the time when I'm working. Best thing I have ever bought was the back support and many folk see me wearing it and buy one and love it. ?
Yep that’s the back support I use this is the link 

Clever Yellow Back Support Belt, Lower Back Brace - the Only Certified Medical-Grade Belt for Pain Relief and Injury Prevention, AgileBak https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YSS53EI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_jIypFbVQH20NQ

Sorry to hear about your back situation, I’ve had trouble in the past with my back via old gym injuries and sciatic pain, it’s brutal - so I can understand how painful it must be for you ?

I’m a bit concerned you’ve said your resting heart rate is always around 28-30 beats per minute - even for world class athletes that’s rare and very much on the low end of what they would realistically achieve, with normal resting heart rates being between 60-100 bpm for a typical person. I’m surprised the staff at the hospital hadn’t mentioned anything about that but I’d encourage you to go to your GP regarding that in case it’s maybe bradycardia.

Wish you all the best in your recovery, and just take it slow and steady ✌??

I’m getting pain in my back too, mainly all around my shoulder blade, it’s not too bad when I’m working but when I get home it’s really painful. I’m booked in with a chiropractor next week to get it looked at.

Aye, well worth £23 but I have moved on to their XL size because the large was killing me but everyone remarked how much weight I lost. ?
Can I be cheeky and ask what waist size you are dude? I reckon prevention is better than cure, I get occasional twinges but might get one of these now before I have a major issue. Tryna work out if I need a large or an XL.

Can I be cheeky and ask what waist size you are dude? I reckon prevention is better than cure, I get occasional twinges but might get one of these now before I have a major issue. Tryna work out if I need a large or an XL.
If you are a 36" waist then XL will be better and below that Large will do. Well worth wearing one when doing strenuous work.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Marc.....I've had back niggles over the years but nothing as dramatic as yours....I bit the bullet and phoned a physiotherapist up just before lockdown...first time I've ever used one.....he knew what the problem was straight away,he gave me acupuncture and massage and  cured it just like that!amazing!

Morning Chaps.

Thanks for the note about Bradycardia, my resting rate has always been very low so I will book a GP appointment, you got me worried now. When I last went into hospital with my Gallbladder 7 years ago I had hepatitis, and orange pee, my resting heart rate was around the 30 mark back then, and i remember the surprised nurse, and she asked me if I worked in the forces. I consider myself quite fit I do like to play basketball; and the nurses and doctors on Monday also seem to think that I am a fairly fit individual for my age (40) after blood tests. My waist size is 32 at the moment, tends to go to 34 in the winter (mars bars), the most its even been is 36 back when I had my gallbladder issue, I am quite muscular and solid, i'm not skinny, chest size is is around 45 I have never been a slight build, always on the more muscular side.

This morning I have been able to get up, and walk fairly normally, I have been given these exercises to do in bed 3 times a day, you lay flat on your back, bring your knees up to your chest, and then rock your legs slowly to the left and right as far as you can before it becomes painful, it must be helping because the mobility is improving. I'm not able to bend my back over more than 30 degrees before the pain stops me, but yesterday i could hardly bend at all. 

So whatever it is, it seems to be getting better. The rest of the family have gone to the beach today, so I think I will jump into the hot tub and have a few beers..

Actually better not have the beers with the Diazepam..

Actually better not have the beers with the Diazepam.
Get yourself a Beerwulf Blade when you can have beer at 2 degrees from the tap. I had a hard day ripping a hedge out and fitting a fence for one of my windy customers. Just the thought of that beer waiting for me made me pack up quick just to get home. Couldn't have done it without my back support.

Latest Posts

Back