Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Booster pump experiment, have a look at the picture

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Baldmonkey

This is what happens when you have too much time on your hands and you start playing around in the workshop... What is it? Well the thought is that it's going to be a water cooled booster pump encased in foam to make it uber quiet.... Will it work, god only knows. 

What do you think so far?? 

20200819_170851.jpg

Must admit I was thinking the very same to keep a pump cooler just to reduce stress on motor. Bit of copper tube round it and let water flow through to cool pump. Looks like a good job there. I don't see why it wont work.

Do you have any way to measure the pump temp when you insulate it?

Please update the thread with your findings.

Must admit I was thinking the very same to keep a pump cooler just to reduce stress on motor. Bit of copper tube round it and let water flow through to cool pump. Looks like a good job there. I don't see why it wont work.

Do you have any way to measure the pump temp when you insulate it?

Please update the thread with your findings.
Yes its good on paper, the heat exchange will be beneficial to the RO as aswell due to the water being warmer and fluidity... Only way initially is to run it for a period and see what external temp is and then do the same with the cooling. Can eventually get a temp probe. Will do ?

Yes its good on paper, the heat exchange will be beneficial to the RO as aswell due to the water being warmer and fluidity... Only way initially is to run it for a period and see what external temp is and then do the same with the cooling. Can eventually get a temp probe. Will do ?
The water temperature won’t change the amount of heat will be minimal to the volume if water ,but it will help keep the pump cooler .

The water temperature won’t change the amount of heat will be minimal to the volume if water ,but it will help keep the pump cooler .
Yeah the main objective is to cool the pump rather than heat the water, was just saying that a lot of RO manufacturers use warmer water for thier benchmarks. 

So should there be any increase it won't be harmful or detrimental ?

Dont the booster pump need to be open to air fully? cant explain it properly, but I mean like where you have a fan on the harddrive of a pc to keep it cool when running.

Dont the booster pump need to be open to air fully? cant explain it properly, but I mean like where you have a fan on the harddrive of a pc to keep it cool when running.
The pump doesn't need airflow if the heat is being dissapated, airflow is only essential for removing heat, the cold water inside the Copper will remove the heat the same as the air flow... But I'll definitely take notice of someone who tells me to do something but doesn't know why ??????... Sorry couldn't resist that last bit... Don't know why just couldn't resist??

Last edited by a moderator:
They say that the above type booster pumps can be run continually which I don't believe as mine is warm to the touch after 30 minutes so I have a timer switch which you just have to suss out timings depending on speed of production so maybe 30 minutes on 15 minutes off for example. 

The pump doesn't need airflow if the heat is being dissapated, airflow is only essential for removing heat, the cold water inside the Copper will remove the heat the same as the air flow... But I'll definitely take notice of someone who tells me to do something but doesn't know why ??????... Sorry couldn't resist that last bit... Don't know why just couldn't resist??
ok no worries, wasn't really telling you to do anything though ?, just what I presumed.' I know nothing, I come from Barcalona!' (in spanish accent) ?

Back