Jump to content

White Marks down the Glass


Recommended Posts

Hi Guys I need a bit of advice , I cleaned a Pub couple of days ago my First Commercial Clean  , It has old framed windows which were filthy , it had not been cleaned in nearly 2 years , They phoned me today and said there are white marks down the window , the windows and frames had just pure dirt dripping from them , i went over them twice , but it started to rain when I was nearly finished I assume this did not help , Its the first time this has happened to me so any help would be Grateful .

 

Screenshot_20200820-192043_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.f27f2e17e997bc12f0dc4d7dde6aab93.jpg 

Edited by Mark75
Link to post
14 minutes ago, Mark75 said:

Hi Guys I need a bit of advice , I cleaned a Pub couple of days ago my First Commercial Clean  , It has old framed windows which were filthy , it had not been cleaned in nearly 2 years , They phoned me today and said there are white marks down the window , the windows and frames had just pure dirt dripping from them , i went over them twice , but it started to rain when I was nearly finished I assume this did not help , Its the first time this has happened to me so any help would be Grateful .

 

Screenshot_20200820-192043_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.f27f2e17e997bc12f0dc4d7dde6aab93.jpg 

Hi Mark, the marks are vertical trails. Due to the colour and gravity the trails originate with oxidisation at the top frames. I'd scrub the life out of the frames to try to get rid of the oxidisation. You're unlikely to get rid of all of it in one go but you should make a big difference. Do all the frames first then go back and do just the glass. It will probably need a good scrub to get rid of the streaks. During this glass only stage stay just below the horizontal frames above the glass so as not to disturb any more oxidisation which will then contaminate the glass again. Rinse a few times, taking full width curtains of water down the glass. As I say, make sure to rinse like this a few times.

Give it a few minutes and see how it looks. If you need to, do the glass again. This method should sort it for you. Once it's been done thoroughly on a few visits it should improve a lot.

It's not your fault. It's what happens when they are left for a long time.

Good luck

Please let us know how you get on. 🙂

Link to post
10 minutes ago, Davy G said:

Hi Mark, the marks are vertical trails. Due to the colour and gravity the trails originate with oxidisation at the top frames. I'd scrub the life out of the frames to try to get rid of the oxidisation. You're unlikely to get rid of all of it in one go but you should make a big difference. Do all the frames first then go back and do just the glass. It will probably need a good scrub to get rid of the streaks. During this glass only stage stay just below the horizontal frames above the glass so as not to disturb any more oxidisation which will then contaminate the glass again. Rinse a few times, taking full width curtains of water down the glass. As I say, make sure to rinse like this a few times.

Give it a few minutes and see how it looks. If you need to, do the glass again. This method should sort it for you. Once it's been done thoroughly on a few visits it should improve a lot.

It's not your fault. It's what happens when they are left for a long time.

Good luck

Please let us know how you get on. 🙂

Thanks Davy I do that , appreciate it as I said its not happened before , i will go over the frames again couple of times and wait , Then as you say do the glass after its finished dripping a couple of times ñot disturbing the frames . Thanks Mate appreciate its my First Commercial Clean and I could not believe it when they sent the Pictures . I let you know how I get on the 2nd time on Saturday 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Mark75 said:

Thanks Davy I do that , appreciate it as I said its not happened before , i will go over the frames again couple of times and wait , Then as you say do the glass after its finished dripping a couple of times ñot disturbing the frames . Thanks Mate appreciate its my First Commercial Clean and I could not believe it when they sent the Pictures . I let you know how I get on the 2nd time on Saturday 

You're welcome, Mark. I had the same thing in the past. Worried the life out of me. I take it in my stride now and point it out to the customer if it gives me too much trouble. Left too long. That's the problem.,🙂

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Davy G said:

You're welcome, Mark. I had the same thing in the past. Worried the life out of me. I take it in my stride now and point it out to the customer if it gives me too much trouble. Left too long. That's the problem.,🙂

It was just dripping dirty black water for ages , i Have never seen it that bad before in my short time as a windie , he said he thinks last done back in summer 2018 and its right on main road as well . I let you know how it goes thanks again 

Link to post

Sometimes when doing a job like this especially if using cold water a spray with a virosol 10-1 mix will help loosen and remove the ingrained dirt loads of scrubbing then a double rinse and that should sort it out 

Link to post

Oxidation of either the paint or the UPVC, keep scrubbing till they start to run clean. Go back do glass only and make sure you clean the frames thoroughly next time.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
2 hours ago, Pjj said:

Sometimes when doing a job like this especially if using cold water a spray with a virosol 10-1 mix will help loosen and remove the ingrained dirt loads of scrubbing then a double rinse and that should sort it out 

I used ubik mix I thought it was that at first as I put a little bit more in the mix as I could see the windows and frames were bad , but as you say I go over with a double rinse after hopefully they be fine after I will not have to Return . It will be a Regular Clean so have to get it Right . Thanks for the Help Pjj

  • Like 2
Link to post
2 hours ago, Part Timer said:

Oxidation of either the paint or the UPVC, keep scrubbing till they start to run clean. Go back do glass only and make sure you clean the frames thoroughly next time.

Hi Part Timer i Make sure once I done the Frames Properly I go back and do the Glass , and only the Glass with a Good Rinse , i did say it would take a couple of cleans to be spot on to them . But I suppose if I want the work and it will be a Regular i have to get it Right . Thanks for the Help 

  • Like 2
Link to post
On 20/08/2020 at 20:13, Davy G said:

Hi Mark, the marks are vertical trails. Due to the colour and gravity the trails originate with oxidisation at the top frames. I'd scrub the life out of the frames to try to get rid of the oxidisation. You're unlikely to get rid of all of it in one go but you should make a big difference. Do all the frames first then go back and do just the glass. It will probably need a good scrub to get rid of the streaks. During this glass only stage stay just below the horizontal frames above the glass so as not to disturb any more oxidisation which will then contaminate the glass again. Rinse a few times, taking full width curtains of water down the glass. As I say, make sure to rinse like this a few times.

Give it a few minutes and see how it looks. If you need to, do the glass again. This method should sort it for you. Once it's been done thoroughly on a few visits it should improve a lot.

It's not your fault. It's what happens when they are left for a long time.

Good luck

Please let us know how you get on. 🙂

Hi Davy all sorted , Did what you said I went over the Frames once again good few scrubs , i went over the glass after and good rinse , left it a while then went back to do just the glass and waited for them to dry a lot better , i explained on next clean it will be Perfect , He found out when the windows were last Cleaned March 2018 nearly 2 and a half years and its on a Main Road , Made you laugh as he went round and said look still Marks on there , so I took him inside the Pub rubbed the window inside and it came off i just Smiled and said I think you might need to Clean inside also , Thanks for your Help appreciate it 

  • Like 3
Link to post
On 20/08/2020 at 23:11, Pjj said:

Sometimes when doing a job like this especially if using cold water a spray with a virosol 10-1 mix will help loosen and remove the ingrained dirt loads of scrubbing then a double rinse and that should sort it out 

HI pjj thanks did a few Scrubs over the Frames again,  after waiting after first Rinse then Rinsed again , Now all Good thanks for the Help 

1 minute ago, Mark75 said:

HI pjj thanks did a few Scrubs over the Frames again,  after waiting after first Rinse then Rinsed again , Now all Good thanks for the Help 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
On 20/08/2020 at 23:44, Part Timer said:

Oxidation of either the paint or the UPVC, keep scrubbing till they start to run clean. Go back do glass only and make sure you clean the frames thoroughly next time.

Hi Part Timer I did the frames a couple of times just kept going over them , Then did the Glass twice With a good rinse all good now  , i said to him it will take a couple of cleans to be perfect , it was there first clean in 2 and half years , Thanks for your Help 

  • Like 3
Link to post
5 hours ago, Mark75 said:

Hi Davy all sorted , Did what you said I went over the Frames once again good few scrubs , i went over the glass after and good rinse , left it a while then went back to do just the glass and waited for them to dry a lot better , i explained on next clean it will be Perfect , He found out when the windows were last Cleaned March 2018 nearly 2 and a half years and its on a Main Road , Made you laugh as he went round and said look still Marks on there , so I took him inside the Pub rubbed the window inside and it came off i just Smiled and said I think you might need to Clean inside also , Thanks for your Help appreciate it 

Very welcome, Mark. Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for the update. 🙂

  • Like 3
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.