Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Tricky trad sliding doors

mark2788

Been asked to quote a new house and round the back there is a 3rd storey roof extension with huge sliding doors with a glass barrier. I have a long trad pole that I'm hoping I'll get to the easier access ones but I have no idea how to do the half of the window behind the glass barrier? There's hardly any room, anyone ever encountered these before? 

IMG-20190429-WA0087.jpg

We do the top half of the doors and the balustrade glass and that’s it you won’t do the bottom part of the doors without internal access and Evan then it will be difficult as they are sliding doors not ones that open into the room ,  hopefully the customer will accept that .

We do the top half of the doors and the balustrade glass and that’s it you won’t do the bottom part of the doors without internal access and Evan then it will be difficult as they are sliding doors not ones that open into the room ,  hopefully the customer will accept that .
Ok thanks thought that might be the case, I can't see how anyone would do it, see magnetic window cleaners which don't look great but for the bottom half might be better than nothing? 

the biggest problem I see here is mitigating the impact to the bottom half of both the window and the barrier if you cannot get internal access or you don't have a ladder. 

That being said if I could only do half a window I would probably leave it as its only going to make it look worse. 

There are a number of different ways to clean this, you just need access. 

Last edited by a moderator:
the biggest problem I see here is mitigating the impact to the bottom half of both the window and the barrier if you cannot get internal access or you don't have a ladder. 

That being said if I could only do half a window I would probably leave it as its only going to make it look worse. 

I doubt it would be cost effective though 

Sorry I should have said I can get access inside the property but can't see a way to clean it still

I doubt it would be cost effective though 
i would give it a go with my ladders a pole and the Moerman Excelerator making use of the negative angles and pushing instead of pulling. 

If you don't have the space to get the squeegee in? 

Then its clothes and poles, which is time consuming to say the least. 

Sorry I should have said I can get access inside the property but can't see a way to clean it still
If you have access from inside then its easier as you only have 2 difficult areas instead of 4 with ladder access only. 

Getting it right on the first job will be the hardest, then its just iterations on repeat until its refined ?

If you have access from inside then its easier as you only have 2 difficult areas instead of 4 with ladder access only.
They are sliding patio doors with one door that moves no doubt so going inside will make absolutely no difference in fact it will be impossible to clean any of the outside glass. 

They are sliding patio doors with one door that moves no doubt so going inside will make absolutely no difference in fact it will be impossible to clean any of the outside glass. 
you will have to do some from outside, its just a case of working out the correct order. like i said the first time will be a pain. 

Absolute PITA... I wouldn't bother. As PT has suggested maybe rinse a lot, if they're done regularly I imagine they would come up alright. Maybe whack the pump on full blast ?‍♂️

if you are doing them trad, I would put a dry applicator on a pole down to remove cobwebs and dust, I can't imagine much dirt will collect. Even then, with the barrier, the bottom half is for letting light through, not looking through. if wfp is an option, as the others have said, rinse lots! 

you will have to do some from outside, its just a case of working out the correct order. like i said the first time will be a pain. 
I think you've been on the sherry again it's a 3rd floor roof extension and that glass balustrade will make it impossible to clean all the glass the ladder would have to be placed on the fascia board and the person would have to lean inwards to clean the glass as a trad job at that height it's far to dangerous to messing around with cloths and poles. 

Just in case you wfper's missed it this in in the trad section no wfp ?

3rd storey would be too high and unsafe for me on a ladder even with someone footing it (extra cost) to attempt Tradding. Would tell customer  that could wfp the left window plus the juliette glass . And if they want would try wf poling the sliding doors top halves and hope the amount of water takes care of the bottoms. If unhappy with suggestion, then would be a job to decline.

Back