Not sure what this dirt is that's stuck in corners

Krafthreinsun

Krafthreinsun

Hi all.

I started my window cleaning business here in Iceland this spring and things are going well. I've gotten a good amount of jobs and a good reputation already. I did however get my first complaint last week.

I did a WFP job on 2nd level windows about 10 days ago. Since the windows were above a busy parking lot I did it after hours so couldn't go in to check from the inside as I progressed with the clean. Sent the bill late last week and the lady in charge of the office replied saying she wasn't quite happy with the result. I told her I'd come and see and did so today.

The windows were fine for the most part but in a lot of top corners there were these blackish specks, see attached photo, which were her concerns.

I'm not really sure what this is and how to go about cleaning this. I did scrub this well with my wfp. Can anyone help me out with this?

IMG_20200824_114042.jpg

Could be spider or insect poo possibly you just need to make sure you get right into the corners as those cobwebs look like they have been there a while also, you could try a de-greaser or a small amount of washing-up-liquid on your brush and go over them again. 

• Like 2

Looks like fly spots which can be tough to get off. Like above try some virisol or degreaser hopefully take it off.

Well done with your business must be tough in the winters there

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As you are in a volcanic country I'm wondering if it might be residue from ash in the atmosphere? It could be recent or it may have been on there for some time. I'm confused though as to no other customers having the same issue. As the other guys said, it could be from insects or paint. I think it might be worth trying some type or types of limescale remover Viakal is the only one I'm familiar with but there are others. I'd wet it and work it in and leave it for a few minutes before washing and rinsing it out. If that fails carefully try some other non- abrasive cleaning products.

I doubt it's a fault in your workmanship as you sound like you're generally getting positive feedback from your customers.

Good luck

Please let us know how you get on.

Edited by Davy G
  • Like 1

This tool from Gardiner’s or something like it may help. Been finding it an excellent addition to my kit for difficult first cleans, for both glass and UPVC

D96A0DAC-B48C-4D89-A9F5-DEC4AAF398B9.jpeg

Edited by Marko067
Forgot picture

If it is insect mess some sort of degreaser/ traffic film remover should do the job. If it's paint or some other gritty substance you may need to get a scraper or scouring pad to it.

If the web and insect nest were there when you did the clean then your brush may be not the best.

Don't let it get you down, problem solving is part of the job.

Good luck on your window cleaning journey.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
Krafthreinsun
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Iron Giant said:

Could be spider or insect poo possibly you just need to make sure you get right into the corners as those cobwebs look like they have been there a while also, you could try a de-greaser or a small amount of washing-up-liquid on your brush and go over them again. 

Yeah, I was suspecting insect droppings but didn't have a clue as to how to remove it with polework.

5 hours ago, Bwfc said:

Looks like fly spots which can be tough to get off. Like above try some virisol or degreaser hopefully take it off.

Well done with your business must be tough in the winters there

Virosol is not on the market here in Iceland. Having read around on this forum I've found some mentioning of G101 in the same instance as Virosol and Ubik, which is not on the market here either, but G101 is. Is G101 something you know? Regarding window cleaning during Icelandic winters I suspect at times it will be tough but since we're on an island we regularly get long stretches of thaw that I'll be able to utilize.

4 hours ago, Stevieboy said:

Looks like paint to me. Has the outside been painted recently?

Not recently, no. But the glass has some paintspecs on it. The windows have been cleaned by another window cleaner since they were painted if I understood her correctly.

4 hours ago, Davy G said:

As you are in a volcanic country I'm wondering if it might be residue from ash in the atmosphere? It could be recent or it may have been on there for some time. I'm confused though as to no other customers having the same issue. As the other guys said, it could be from insects or paint. I think it might be worth trying some type or types of limescale remover Viakal is the only one I'm familiar with but there are others. I'd wet it and work it in and leave it for a few minutes before washing and rinsing it out. If that fails carefully try some other non- abrasive cleaning products.

I doubt it's a fault in your workmanship as you sound like you're generally getting positive feedback from your customers.

Good luck

Please let us know how you get on.

I highly doubt it's volcanic ash as I haven't found it on other jobs of mine.

3 hours ago, Marko067 said:

This tool from Gardiner’s or something like it may help. Been finding it an excellent addition to my kit for difficult first cleans, for both glass and UPVC

D96A0DAC-B48C-4D89-A9F5-DEC4AAF398B9.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestion, I really need to get my hands on some mild abrasives that can be used on the wfp.

3 hours ago, Martyn said:

If it is insect mess some sort of degreaser/ traffic film remover should do the job. If it's paint or some other gritty substance you may need to get a scraper or scouring pad to it.

If the web and insect nest were there when you did the clean then your brush may be not the best.

Don't let it get you down, problem solving is part of the job.

Good luck on your window cleaning journey.

I have the standard 27 cm Unger brush that I got with the Nlite kit I bought to get started with. Thanks for the motivation, I really enjoy problem solving. 

Thank you all so much for your time and input.

Edited by Krafthreinsun

@Krafthreinsun yeah this could be left over cobweb or insect marks. And the windows above a busy parking lot so could be from traffic fumes. It probably depends on how long since the windows were cleaned aswell. You may find that the next time the windows are cleaned they get a bit better. Don’t be too hard on yourself especially as you were cleaning after hours.

• Like 1

We use hot water and Ime sure it would remove that in seconds , but if using cold try a bit of virisol or similar on the brush or spray it on leave it a couple of muinits scrub rinse job done 👍

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Krafthreinsun said:

Yeah, I was suspecting insect droppings but didn't have a clue as to how to remove it with polework.

Washing-up-liquid will do the job, you could have a spray bottle with a diluted mix of water and detergent spray on brush pre-wet the glass pinch the pole hose to stop the water then scrub then a thorough clean with water flowing and rinse thoroughly. 

• Like 2
Krafthreinsun

Hi guys.

I went again the other day and redid the job. To start with I dipped the wfp brush into a bucket of soapy water before each window and gave the windows a good scrub, much stronger than the first time. About halfway through I stopped with the soap and just scrubbed, focusing on giving the corners special attention. Packed up when done and sent the lady in charge of the building an email stating I'd been there again and asked her to tell me how it went. She said they looked great and that she was really happy with it. 

So it was down to my lack of experience that the job didn't turn out good enough the first time, it seems I just needed to scrub more thorougher. 

Thanks again for all the advises, I appreciate them.