Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Type of Windows

PrideCleaning

Whats your secret to these windows with the double openers, as you always see the trail line going through the big window.

I have started too just do the tops and then come back too it once I’ve finished the rest. 

image.jpeg

You've nailed it really, you have to give it time to stop dripping down before giving the bottom pane a final rinse. Clean the whole thing on the first pass though.

Do a thorough first clean on the top and rinse well then go over the bottom glass again and rinse it’s rare to get a  problem just check it again before leaving and do the bottom pain again if needed . 

We have the odd one that leaves a mark from the centre. The only way we've managed to stop this from happening is by using Unger Rub Out or a UPVC cleaner. Windows where we can't, above conny roofs we either clean from the middle to the edge on both sides and try and not to get water running down the middle. If we do then we will tie a microfibre to the brush head and dry the middle section of the window.

In the 13 years I’ve been using WFP, I’ve developed a range of different skills and techniques, some of which are similar to those already mentioned.  As I get to know my individual customers and the jobs I do for them, I find what works and what doesn’t for each job.  In time, I find I do what is required for each job without thinking about it. Sometimes it’s just a matter of brush angle, other times I have to adjust my whole technique for one particular job. 
The type of window you are inquiring about is a typical example. On my rounds I have found that no one way of cleaning them works 100% of the time. 80% maybe but not 100%. Some will leave a drip line no matter how much I scrub and rinse the frames beforehand. So I look for another way untill I find a way that works. Sometimes I have to do one opener, lower the brush just below it, move it across and back up to the next opener so as not to flood the bit between them as the water can get under the frame and release dirt that has accumulated, and no amount of scrubbing can reach some of this dirt. I have one customer with a window that drips like this for up to half an hour if I get water behind the closed frame

Whats your secret to these windows with the double openers, as you always see the trail line going through the big window.

I have started too just do the tops and then come back too it once I’ve finished the rest. 

View attachment 21689
I'd work from the top down. I would scrub the frame well especially in the first few washes to try to remove dirt and oxidisation. I'd put the brush on an angle to get bristles behind the openers and give a good scrub on the nooks crannies and rubbers. Then I'd give a really good wash and rinse down on all the frames and glass, again from the top down.

A final full width rinse on the lower pane and sill to finish. Starting from just below the middle horizontal frame. They usually keep running down the middle for a while as water finds its way down between the openers. Usually it runs as clear water. If it continues to be coloured after the process I described, I don't tend to worry about it. I've done my best.

I do the upstairs on one side and then the downstairs of the same side. Then repeat at each of the other sides. I very rarely go back to a side once I've moved to the next. Once you've decided the top of a window is done really thoroughly, leave it alone.

Too many people I've seen working keep faffing about, going up and down and risk disturbing stuff above what they're already done. 

Subsequent normal 6 weekly maintenance washes on decent windows get no scrubbing at all except for on visible marks. They get the lightest, quickest strokes. The bristles do the work, with my guidance. ?

Good luck

Please let us know how you get on, to add to our pool of knowledge. ??

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's really an ongoing issue and I have it on one job on the side of a house because of ongoing building work, I give the top and really good clean with plenty of rinsing of the top of the window to ensure all dirt is flushed out clean the bottom pane and walk away to clean the rest of the house which takes me 10 minutes then chat to owner for a minimum of 10 minutes as he is neighbour over the road from us then before I pack up and leave give the lower pane a quick re-clean and rinse job done, 

I always walk past the house later in the day right past the window on my way to the allotment and/or taking the dog for a walk and it's always spotless.

I just miss the middle bit and clean everything else like Part Timer said.  When cleaning the big pane below I don't touch the brush at the top of the pane just below where the upper two windows meet [the middle] I leave probably 0.5cm from the top and same when rinsing.  This is the only thing that's worked for me, but it works very well.

Although I wouldn’t go back to cleaning 100% trad for love nor money these topics sure do make me think about how much less hassle it was to just clean a window back then. 

Although I wouldn’t go back to cleaning 100% trad for love nor money these topics sure do make me think about how much less hassle it was to just clean a window back then. 
I think it’s about technique we clean thousands of windows every week and only have  the occasional problem window once a month or so , the key is doing a thorough first clean , re check before leaving the job .

If you get the custy to leave the top panes or even one slightly ajar, you will find there is no issue with the trickle of water dripping down the centre of the lower pain
Often on walking up to a property I notice all those openers ajar and think, “That’s it, just how we like ‘em.” And as I start cleaning the custy goes round and closes them all. ??

View attachment 21689
I have loads of these types of windows on some parts of my round....the trick is NOT to get any water between the 2 top openers on maintenance cleans....if their really dirty though I clean the whole window,frames(including between the openers)....go and clean a few more windows then go back and just clean the large pane again....

I had a big problem with the run down the middle when I first switched to wfp over 10 years ago now....??.....its a learning curve 

I think it’s about technique we clean thousands of windows every week and only have  the occasional problem window once a month or so , the key is doing a thorough first clean , re check before leaving the job .
Exactly. Nowadays you need a different mindset ready for each individual window or property employing many different techniques as you go. Back in the day you didn’t have to think about any of that. 

Back