Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Doing a big upgrade on my kit. Lastly, what pole to buy?

I know this question has been asked a lot but I wanted people's opinion because I am doing a lot of washing gutters, fascia & soffit everyday also.

So I have just ordered the facelift osmo 525litre water tank ro system and with it I wanted to upgrade my pole as I'm using a starter Unger pole that I bought 15 months ago. I'm now very busy but I do a lot of washing gutters fascia and soffit aswell as windows.

I can see the most recommended pole is by far the Gardiner poles which I am going with, but I'm wondering which one do you recommend and also do you recommend buying one for windows and another for cleaning the gutters, fascia & soffit? 

I have a good budget allowing for a couple of hundred on this. Also I'm wondering what brush heads people recommend also.

I really appreciate any help

Thanks all

Philip

I use an Xtreme but that is only because for me weight is an issue. It is a very good pole but quite expensive and not anywhere near as tough as the SLX poles. The CLX will be much better than the pole you currently have but at height they can be very whippy. I for one, didn’t like this and quickly moved on to the more rigid poles. Others however, have been able to make this feature work to their advantage. Personally if you are doing a lot of FSG work I’d opt for the SLX. The choice is yours of course

A good addition to your kit for FSG work is the water fed scrubber that Gardiner’s now do. I’ve found it has reduced the need for chemicals on a number of jobs I’ve done recently 

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the SLX. It’s the lighter weight and rigidity that makes the difference - much easier to control. And a swivel head adapter which is great. That new scrubber pad attachment from Gardiner also looks good. Would go for a flocked sill or flocked supreme brush with it. To be honest even a CLX will be better than the Unger pole you have though. Although I don’t use them much anymore, I have a brush head called a Badger (has red outer bristles and black bristles in the centre) that came as part of a package from window cleaning warehouse and the brush is absolutely superb. Had it ages and it’s still in amazing condition.

Last edited:
I started CLX and then went to SLX when I last upgraded. CLX is a cracking pole and if thats what you can afford you won't be disappointed, but SLX is my recommendation (never used Extreme, that'll be the next upgrade).

We change brushes, but not poles, when doing PVC clean, gutter cleans etc. But after one of these cleans be sure to flush the pole with pure and clean the outside, as a lot of gunk gets trapped. 

Standard soft sill brush and not a SLX, the last is a personal thing as for the cost I'd either buy a cheap CLX or an Xtreme
May I ask, why you not a fan of the SLX, Part Timer? 

Xtreme 25 with xtreme brush for f/s/g cleans...itll cost you around £650....use the same pole for window cleaning.....you might want to buy another brush like an xtreme sill brush too....that's it...

Any other pole and brush combo will just cause more strain and your more likely to end up with repetitive strain injuries over time.....

May I ask, why you not a fan of the SLX, Part Timer?
In my opinion the extra cost isn't warranted. The weight difference isn't much and black hands are a pain. If people can't control a CLX on anything up to 2nd floor then they need to practice.

I can understand why people use Xtremes and the extra cost, not the SLX though.

In my opinion the extra cost isn't warranted. The weight difference isn't much and black hands are a pain. If people can't control a CLX on anything up to 2nd floor then they need to practice.

I can understand why people use Xtremes and the extra cost, not the SLX though.
Fair enough. I had no issues using the CLX but I have noticed a significant weight saving when doing higher stuff using the SLX. 

How am I limited to an 18? I said I have a good budget and have a couple of hundred to spend so about 6 or 7 hundred to spend. An slx 25 is only £60 dearer aswell than an 18 lol.
@PR Cleaning Solutions Sorry you said you have a budget of a couple of hundred, that’s why @Martyn would have suggested the SLX 18 would probably be a limit - because of the cost. If you actually have 6 or 7 hundred fair play to you and the Gardiner Xtreme look brilliant. Combined with a lightweight flocked brush you’ll be able to scrub gutters all day. The rigidity of the pole and the fact it’s so lightweight would make the jobs easier and take much much less toll on your body.

Extreme poles for me I appreciate they are more expensive but if you want to stay in this game longer especially if your suffer with RSI or arthritis then it worth the extra cost. 

its nothing to do with how strong you are as I could use a clx/slx no problems but chose not too as not too worsen my arthritis for me it's about future proving my myself for as long as I can., so to the "OP" this is another thing to consider especially if you have ailments or getting older.

Alway exceptions to the rule as @Part Timer is really old and uses a clx for a toothpick lol.

Back