Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

How do you know when to change your sediment filter... Here's how!! ent

Baldmonkey

So I think I may have buggered a set of my ro membranes up due to not know when my filters were ready to change because my 20" is blue and not clear. 

Now I know I could just change the 20" to a clear housing but I still only had that sediment filter to gauge, and at what "brownishness" do you change it....... So here is my solution. 

In the photo is two clear 10" sediment filters on the left and the start of my original pre filters on the right. 

I now have 1 micron sediment filters in both the 10" ones and the 20". I use the visual aspect of the second clear 10" filter to know when the first one is failing. 

When they are both roughly the same then I know my 20" is getting hit and then change them all. 

Just thought I'd share as a tip... Link below for the housings and filters off eBay. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332184488422

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233335718392

20200830_091046.jpg

So I think I may have buggered a set of my ro membranes up due to not know when my filters were ready to change because my 20" is blue and not clear. 

Now I know I could just change the 20" to a clear housing but I still only had that sediment filter to gauge, and at what "brownishness" do you change it....... So here is my solution. 

In the photo is two clear 10" sediment filters on the left and the start of my original pre filters on the right. 

I now have 1 micron sediment filters in both the 10" ones and the 20". I use the visual aspect of the second clear 10" filter to know when the first one is failing. 

When they are both roughly the same then I know my 20" is getting hit and then change them all. 

Just thought I'd share as a tip... Link below for the housings and filters off eBay. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332184488422

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233335718392

View attachment 21729
I have 2 x 20" prefilters, both with clear housings. I have a pressure gauge on each side of the prefilters. 

In my case our water pressure is 50psi. When the filters are changed the other gauge also reads 50psi. As the sediment filter gets blocked with sediment the pressure gauge after the prefilters starts to show a lower pressure as flow through the filters is restricted. I can compensate for this a little by adjusting the waste. When that second gauge gets to 40psi and I still have lots of service life on the carbon block I replace the sediment filter and reset the waste tap.

I can also see the state of the sediment filter by looking at it through the clear filter bowl.

Our water in the past was full of sediment. Sometimes I would have to change the sediment filter twice before changing the carbon block. (I change the carbon block every 76,000 liters.) These days our water is better and I can just get the sediment filter to last until both filters are changed at 76k.

Last edited by a moderator:
You say that like its a perfect measurement of when to change the filter, but if it works for you, fair enough
It's never gonna be perfect. I don't think there is a perfect measurement of when to change them. When I first bought my Pure Freedom system, the guy said to change the prefilters 'every 3 months or so', so that's what I do. Should I change them before?..possibly, should I leave them a little longer?....possibly.

It's never gonna be perfect. I don't think there is a perfect measurement of when to change them. When I first bought my Pure Freedom system, the guy said to change the prefilters 'every 3 months or so', so that's what I do. Should I change them before?..possibly, should I leave them a little longer?....possibly.
I'd always air on the side of caution and change them before needed really as the harm will be done to expensive membranes. 

Of course it all depends on what your water is like. The very left hand filter I pictured on Sunday is going to be pictured below, the change from Sunday to today when I changed it is quite shocking. I'm not a heavy consumer of water and have probably run 1000l total through them since Sunday.... 3 months for a sediment filter to me seems far far too long... But again its personal preference/situation. 

UPDATE

Changed the first Prefilter today as it had gone chocolate brown this week. Moved Prefilter two to position one and placed a new filter in pre filter two. 

I've included a picture of the internals of the filter which may have lasted another week, these are 1 micron filters

20200902_161932.jpg

20200902_161953.jpg

Back