Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Setting up dual DI need some info.

Gary090118

Hi everyone, I have a facelift compact 325ltr setup in my van but I've noticed the resin isn't lasting me too long and its leaving spots on the windows now so I've decided to attach a second DI vessel to it I'm just a little confused which way it's supposed to go in.

Should the water be going through the new di with new resin first and then going through my old di with the older resin second or the other way around? I will be replacing the resin in my old DI soon but for now any advice would be appreciated, thanks. 

Oh forgot to mention my new vessel is just 7ltr the old one that come with the tank is 11ltr I believe.

I have a 19litre that sits at my house tap n an 11litre in van, once van is not 000 they both get changed, as both usually done in. My water sits about 80, now n then went over 100 now n then, so just double di all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Managed to get my tds down to 006 with the old resin + the new one. Hopefully this should be ok to use until I can get a new bag of resin for the 11ltr vessel. 

What is your guys cut off point when it comes to tds? A lad I used to work for said anything over 13 is too high.

Ok great, so I've fitted the new vessel but my tds reading has not changed at all either my tds meter is broken or I must be missing something. ?
If you can let us know your tap TDS then that'll help. 

Also, do you have a legit TDS or a ebay one? Unfortunately it makes a difference. 

HM Digital is what you want. - https://www.daqua.co.uk/testmeters.htm (the  TDS-3 at £15 is the one)

Managed to get my tds down to 006 with the old resin + the new one. Hopefully this should be ok to use until I can get a new bag of resin for the 11ltr vessel. 

What is your guys cut off point when it comes to tds? A lad I used to work for said anything over 13 is too high.
I use double DI also. Good water allows us to get away with just using resin down here in S Wales. My own cut off for changing the resin is usually 10ppm. The level almost falls off a cliff once you get up around there. What I mean is once I get up around that figure, the next tank fill up is around 13 then 18 for the one after etc. Some guys on here swear by changing the resin on anything above 00ppm so that they know they have absolutely pure water to work with. In my experience, once it goes above 000ppm its only a couple of tank fills away from being pretty much useless anyway.

As for you still getting a reading of  006ppm with new resin...that sounds like you have an issue with either the sensor reading equipment, the resin itself or some other contaminant in the system. With a tap reading of 110, you should easily be able to get the reading down to 00ppm for several weeks with new resin. The type of resin most use here is Tulsion MB115. As Master Jedi Alejandro says above  it could be the meter that you are using. Let us know how you get on, this is definitely solvable ?

I use double DI also. Good water allows us to get away with just using resin down here in S Wales. My own cut off for changing the resin is usually 10ppm. The level almost falls off a cliff once you get up around there. What I mean is once I get up around that figure, the next tank fill up is around 13 then 18 for the one after etc. Some guys on here swear by changing the resin on anything above 00ppm so that they know they have absolutely pure water to work with. In my experience, once it goes above 000ppm its only a couple of tank fills away from being pretty much useless anyway.

As for you still getting a reading of  006ppm with new resin...that sounds like you have an issue with either the sensor reading equipment, the resin itself or some other contaminant in the system. With a tap reading of 110, you should easily be able to get the reading down to 00ppm for several weeks with new resin. The type of resin most use here is Tulsion MB115. As Master Jedi Alejandro says above  it could be the meter that you are using. Let us know how you get on, this is definitely solvable ?
Thanks for the reply, tbh with you I don't even know what resin I have in the new vessel I was looking around at prices to buy them seperately and everything was crazy expensive, then I found this 7ltr one filled with "deionising resin". That is literally what it said so it's most likely not great, however I tested the water on my own windows and it has dried perfectly, how long it stays like that is the big question.

I will order a bag of this Tulsion resin and fill the 11ltr vessel with it and see what my readings are after that. I don't think I have ever had a reading of 0 come to think of it, so I may order one of those HM Digital metres that Jedi mentioned earlier.

In case you hadn't realised by now, I'm new to the solo game and learning on the fly, I have been used to "the boss" making sure everything is right for the last 6 years lol. I fully expect to make some mistakes, I'm just glad this forum is here full of helpful people like yourself.

Thanks for the reply, tbh with you I don't even know what resin I have in the new vessel I was looking around at prices to buy them seperately and everything was crazy expensive, then I found this 7ltr one filled with "deionising resin". That is literally what it said so it's most likely not great, however I tested the water on my own windows and it has dried perfectly, how long it stays like that is the big question.

I will order a bag of this Tulsion resin and fill the 11ltr vessel with it and see what my readings are after that. I don't think I have ever had a reading of 0 come to think of it, so I may order one of those HM Digital metres that Jedi mentioned earlier.

In case you hadn't realised by now, I'm new to the solo game and learning on the fly, I have been used to "the boss" making sure everything is right for the last 6 years lol. I fully expect to make some mistakes, I'm just glad this forum is here full of helpful people like yourself.
Daqua who does the reader will also do you resin, but Toulson is sold out at the moment. Call him Monday and see if you can place a pre-order.

I have been using a cheap ebay TDS meter for about 5 years. I didn’t realise how inaccurate it was until I purchased a HM Digital reader from @doug atkinson at Daqua. It really is worth spending a little extra on a decent TDS meter. Here is the difference:

Cheap TDS: Measured tap water at 270ppm

HM Digital: Measured tap water at 430ppm

Cheap TDS: Measured pure water after RO and fresh Resin at 7ppm

HM Digital: Measured pure water after RO and fresh Resin at 0ppm.

Quite a difference! HM Digital or decent equivalent gives you accurate readings so that you know where you stand. 

75301360-2EAE-42EB-AD0D-30B13764E0E9.jpeg

My system doesnt have an RO, I fill my tank directly with the hose from my tap at 110ppm, if I was to get this 25ltr bag would you reccomend me changing all the resin in both vessels?

I ask because I really don't know what resin is in the new 7ltr vessel but it is "new" 

I've never used unger resin but I phoned my usual supplier and they said that it works the same but the life span is slightly shorter. I'm planning on getting some in the meantime as well. My TDS is approx same as yours and I use double di. 

In answer to your question about which one to change: if you have them in line, change the first resin container only and then position it after the one you currently have second. No need to change both 

I've never used unger resin but I phoned my usual supplier and they said that it works the same but the life span is slightly shorter. I'm planning on getting some in the meantime as well. My TDS is approx same as yours and I use double di. 

In answer to your question about which one to change: if you have them in line, change the first resin container only and then position it after the one you currently have second. No need to change both 
Ok thanks, I think I'll go ahead with the unger resin and keep an eye on the stocks of the tulsion and just grab a bag when I can for the next time I need to change. Ordering a HM digital meter as well, will post my readings after it's all sorted.

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. 

With some resins on the market with your input pm into a 7 litre DI Vessel it will not bring the ppm down as they are not a strong base resin. This is from feedback of people with high ppm who have used these resins. If you slow your flow rate down it will then work hopefully. 

At your ppm input I would advise using a 11 litre and above as you need a more resin as the resin then has more capacity deal with the exchange of your high ppm.

You should look into an R/O system as you will get around 5000 litres with your ppm so will cost a fair bit in resin.

Latest Posts

Back