Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Whose responsibility to cover window cleaners with insurance

Erika

Hi guys, 

I’m new in this business. Basically I’m working as self employed for a company. It was everything fine until yesterday . I had a client who requested to do her new windows. I did everything as per usual but the client claims that I have scratched her window. Honestly I really don’t think it was me.. anywhoo . My lovely boss puts the blame on me of course and wanna make me pay for the windows. The question is who should have insurance in that case ? I mean I’m still working for him and I believe that he should have insurance to cover things like that or do I have to have my own insurance as well? Honestly until yesterday I didn’t even think about insurance... was so naive I know . 

Being self employed you should have your own insurance,Your boss should also have employers liability insurance.

who supplies the van and equipment and pays for the insurance on them?

Do you have any of your own work or work for someone other than the guy you mention?

Firstly, you can't be self employed if you are supplied the work or any equipment. Your boss is breaking employment law so tell him you're reporting him and he is liable for the alleged scratched glass. You should be entitled to holiday, sick pay and a pension as well which I very much doubt he'll be paying. It will probably cost you your job but hopefully put this cowboy out of business as well and prevent him robbing others like you.

I had a client who requested to do her new windows
Couple of things. You say 'new windows' if they are actually new then it's quite probable that the fitters damaged the glass fitting it and it's the first time they are clean. Plus low angle of sun after the clean will highlight any scratches.

Secondly, you say 'I had a client' if it's your client then your responsibility.

If the client was supplied to you or they pay the company then tell the client to speak to the company.

As for threatening to report the company that will mean no more work. How much is the repair cost as it may be worth paying it and then getting insurance.

Firstly, you can't be self employed if you are supplied the work or any equipment. Your boss is breaking employment law so tell him you're reporting him and he is liable for the alleged scratched glass. You should be entitled to holiday, sick pay and a pension as well which I very much doubt he'll be paying. It will probably cost you your job but hopefully put this cowboy out of business as well and prevent him robbing others like you.
What about all the cab drivers who work for Uber and similar companies? They have the work supplied to them, but are self-employed, have their own vehicle and insurance.

I know Uber is an old topic and they've been in court many times over the above setup, so not sure what is the latest on it.

As for Erika, based on the information provided, it's not all black and white. Working as self-employed for a company could be like the above scenario, where you would need to have your own insurance, even when the work is supplied to you.

Being self employed you should have your own insurance,Your boss should also have employers liability insurance.

who supplies the van and equipment and pays for the insurance on them?

Do you have any of your own work or work for someone other than the guy you mention?

I don’t have any clients by my own, I’m always directed to them by my boss. Also I don’t pay any insurance at all but it seems like I have to dig really really  deep as I have been fool for months . 

Couple of things. You say 'new windows' if they are actually new then it's quite probable that the fitters damaged the glass fitting it and it's the first time they are clean. Plus low angle of sun after the clean will highlight any scratches.

Secondly, you say 'I had a client' if it's your client then your responsibility.

If the client was supplied to you or they pay the company then tell the client to speak to the company.

As for threatening to report the company that will mean no more work. How much is the repair cost as it may be worth paying it and then getting insurance.
Thanks for this. Actually my boss send me to the lady so she is not my client , she payed to my boss. Also , my boss keeps telling me that I have to pay for the damage “I have caused “. I’m starting to thinking that he might claim the money plus makes me pay for it 2.. not sure if that could be the case for 100% but it stinks really... noting make sense 

What about all the cab drivers who work for Uber and similar companies? They have the work supplied to them, but are self-employed, have their own vehicle and insurance.

I know Uber is an old topic and they've been in court many times over the above setup, so not sure what is the latest on it.

As for Erika, based on the information provided, it's not all black and white. Working as self-employed for a company could be like the above scenario, where you would need to have your own insurance, even when the work is supplied to you.
Wow thanks. He does nothing like that...  after all I’m not sure if that’s a bad thing if I “lost” this job. Thanks for all the information. 

Do you have a written contract?

If it is down to you to fix, I doubt you scratched the glass anyway, then it might be worth you getting the quote and then paying double glazing company to do the job yourself. That way only you have the receipt, which you can put to your self assessment tax return. So your boss can't stitch you up any more than he has!

I would look for a new job - or your own customers and when in new job report him. 

Wow thanks. He does nothing like that...  after all I’m not sure if that’s a bad thing if I “lost” this job. Thanks for all the information. 
Do you have your own van and using your own equipment? Or this is all provided by your boss? If it's all yours, then you should have your own insurance, if provided by your boss, then you should be covered under company's policy.

Uber continue as they do because they throw millions on lawyers. Also strictly speaking their drivers don't have to take the job on. They have also just llost a case, in California I believe, that they've appealed.

Google Pimlico Plumbers and say this isn't  the same as the OP. At best he is sub contracting as Labour only so therefore his boss is liable and should claim it back but I think anyone with any business evperience.,  in this field, knows his boss is a cowboy.

Do you have your own van and using your own equipment? Or this is all provided by your boss? If it's all yours, then you should have your own insurance, if provided by your boss, then you should be covered under company's policy.
He has provided everything and exactly  that’s why I was thinking that something is not right in here ... 

He has provided everything and exactly  that’s why I was thinking that something is not right in here ... 
Unfortunately you're employed by a cowboy that is breaking employment law. Tell him you're not paying for anything

Does he pay you a guaranteed hourly rate or just depending how much work you do

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately you're employed by a cowboy that is breaking employment law. Tell him you're not paying for anything

Lol . That’s what I thought . 
mum getting payed after the job I done . Nothing is  fixed... 

Your boss is a dickhead and on the fiddle. Tell him to stick his job up his **** and steal his customers.
Hahaha frankly that’s what I should do and I will think about it . But after all I really wanna  report him somehow as it’s not ok how he is dealing with me or the other staffs... **** he is ! ?

As dodgy as it sounds, it's pretty common for small business owners to seek some form of contribution, if you can call it so, from employees who caused a problem while at work.

Yes, you're covered by insurance, but they will have to pay an excess and then the yearly premium goes up as well. I think if your boss is not a complete donkey and you're a reasonable person yourself, then there's nothing wrong with offering some sort of financial contribution for solving the problem, but this of course hugely depends on the scale of the problem and whether it's genuinely your fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
As dodgy as it sounds, it's pretty common for small business owners to seek some form of contribution, if you can call it so, from employees who caused a problem while at work.

Yes, you're covered by insurance, but they will have to pay an excess and then the yearly premium goes up as well. I think if your boss is not a complete donkey and you're a reasonable person yourself, then there's nothing wrong with offering some sort of financial contribution for solving the problem, but this of course hugely depends on the scale of the problem and whether it's genuinely your fault.
That would have to be clearly stated in any contract and the OP would have had to of read and signed it.

Has he had any training? Are the training records up to date?  I don't know where you're getting your information from but you're giving advice that would have been dodgy 20 years ago.

That would have to be clearly stated in any contract and the OP would have had to of read and signed it.

Has he had any training? Are the training records up to date?  I don't know where you're getting your information from but you're giving advice that would have been dodgy 20 years ago.
I totally agree with everything you say and what you say is right. What I'm sharing is not really advice, but just personal experience working for small based businesses and how various problems can be settled by having a decent relationship with your employer.

Like I said, it all depends on individual circumstances, but I believe the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes in various situations, and not just thinking about yourself, will help you to progress well not just in business, but in life in general.

If you are thinking of reporting him try and get evidence. Like emails, contracts, invoices, payslips what ever paper trail you can get. Even to an extent customer addresses he sends you too. I bet if he is 'employing' you under the radar he is also fiddling his taxes and maybe his recent claims for furlough or SEISS scheme....

Just remember that you will need another job and he might know where you live!!!

Latest Posts

Back