Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Question about conservatory roofs...

Bongofish

Hi all!

So I'm in 2 minds whether to keep going with conservatory roofs or not, as the window cleaning side is just getting so busy now. However, the last conservatory roofs I have done I'm not sure I have been too happy with. I've made them sparkle and got all the whites to gleam, but the actual roofs still have spots of what can only be described as moss welks on them ?. You know what I mean them circular patches of what I believe to be moss on the roof that seems to be stuck with gorrilla glue. When I'm on my ladders and I'm in arms reach i can use all my force and rub them clean with a cloth. But out of arms reach (like 80% of the roof) the brush isn't strong enough to even loosen them nevermind clean them. 

So my question is when your doing a conservatory roof, do you clean it to the point it is immaculate ? Or.....give each panel a good scrub and rinse any debris off and then move onto the next? If you think each panel should be left immaculate how do you get them moss welks cleaned up when there 3 meteres away from you and the brush is not doing anything?

Thanks all, I've got a big conservatory roof on Saturday with that PVC kinda roof that I'm sure will be full of them ?.

We clean them 100% so they are like new but charge a premium fir it as it does  take time I have not experienced  what you  are  describing ,apart from the occasional licken growths , I find moss comes off leaving no marks , we use a Virosol or hypo mix and wfp  depending what the roof is made of and what’s on it apart from faded polycarbonate the glass ones always come up like new , just be careful if using chemicals on self cleaning glass as it’s possible to damage the coating , Ime wondering if what you are describing is a damaged coating rather than any moss being left behind after a clean ?.. maybe the moss has damaged the coating as it’s grown ?. 

Hi all!

So I'm in 2 minds whether to keep going with conservatory roofs or not, as the window cleaning side is just getting so busy now. However, the last conservatory roofs I have done I'm not sure I have been too happy with. I've made them sparkle and got all the whites to gleam, but the actual roofs still have spots of what can only be described as moss welks on them ?. You know what I mean them circular patches of what I believe to be moss on the roof that seems to be stuck with gorrilla glue. When I'm on my ladders and I'm in arms reach i can use all my force and rub them clean with a cloth. But out of arms reach (like 80% of the roof) the brush isn't strong enough to even loosen them nevermind clean them. 

So my question is when your doing a conservatory roof, do you clean it to the point it is immaculate ? Or.....give each panel a good scrub and rinse any debris off and then move onto the next? If you think each panel should be left immaculate how do you get them moss welks cleaned up when there 3 meteres away from you and the brush is not doing anything?

Thanks all, I've got a big conservatory roof on Saturday with that PVC kinda roof that I'm sure will be full of them ?.
Same as the Velux, they do get these stubborn patches.

I used my scrapper 

All I can really say is it's like stuck on moss, but they really remind me of like the welks at the seaside stuck on the walls. Like dark circles. The roof I'm doing on Saturday is that polycarbonate stuff and the wines I've done previous have always had some of these things on. I wouldn't say I charge a premium. £90 for a large (ish) roof on Saturday morning. I find glass roofs come up great but my last 3 roofs have been this material and just don't know how to scrub these growths off when they are out of arms reach and the brush won't do it. Thinking about making a homemade pole with some bristle lads on the end? 

I first wet up the roof with a garden hose, then spray-up with Ubik2000 to soften up the hard stuff for a few mins, then scrub away. 
usually does the trick. 

Brass wool pad attached to pole Also comes in handy 

We've stopped doing conservatory roofs. We charge quite a bit for doing them (£120+) but will only entertain polycarbonate conservatory roofs with simple access. Far too busy cleaning windows. A lot easier and more profitable.

All I can really say is it's like stuck on moss, but they really remind me of like the welks at the seaside stuck on the walls. Like dark circles. The roof I'm doing on Saturday is that polycarbonate stuff and the wines I've done previous have always had some of these things on. I wouldn't say I charge a premium. £90 for a large (ish) roof on Saturday morning. I find glass roofs come up great but my last 3 roofs have been this material and just don't know how to scrub these growths off when they are out of arms reach and the brush won't do it. Thinking about making a homemade pole with some bristle lads on the end? 
Use Ubik. Spray it on, leave it for 5 mins and then come back. It makes life so much simpler!

We've stopped doing conservatory roofs. We charge quite a bit for doing them (£120+) but will only entertain polycarbonate conservatory roofs with simple access. Far too busy cleaning windows. A lot easier and more profitable.

Use Ubik. Spray it on, leave it for 5 mins and then come back. It makes life so much simpler!
Would steel wool be ok to use on polycarbonate? And where do I get ubik from? 

Cheers. 

I haven't done that many this year, but one I did a few weeks back was on a job where I pressure washed the drive. With the P/W being set up, I work off big step ladders for the roofs -  I pressure washed the roof with a turbo lance, not that close so not to cause damage, but it saved a lot of scrubbing and came up immaculate, especially all the green/black finials.

First we empty the gutter around the conservatory.

Then we spray on a soapmix of Chemex Superplus, Fairy Liquid and water in a Gardiner backpack. Lather it in. Leave it for perhaps 5~10 minutes for the mix to work while we get everything else ready. Connect to the customer's outside water supply. Wet it again, turn the water off, lather it in again for thoroughness. Leave for another couple of minutes. Now, full flow, intensive wash and rinse from top of crest to bottom of plastic and glass. Finally rinse the glass with pure water.

Important to me : no pre-wetting with just water. Pre-wet with soapmix first so that the moss drinks this in rather than gorge on water. Same as only spraying weedkiller when it's dry. No abrasives of any kind used. No pressure washer used as it might drive dirt and moss further under the sealing rubbers, possibly lifting them at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
First we empty the gutter around the conservatory.

Then we spray on a soapmix of Chemex Superplus, Fairy Liquid and water in a Gardiner backpack. Lather it in. Leave it for perhaps 5~10 minutes for the mix to work while we get everything else ready. Connect to the customer's outside water supply. Wet it again, turn the water off, lather it in again for thoroughness. Leave for another couple of minutes. Now, full flow, intensive wash and rinse from top of crest to bottom of plastic and glass. Finally rinse the glass with pure water.

Important to me : no pre-wetting with just water. Soapmix first so that the moss drinks this in rather than gorge on water. Same as only spraying weedkiller when it's dry. No abrasives of any kind used. No pressure washer used as it might drive dirt and moss further under the sealing rubbers, possibly lifting them at the same time.
Was thinking about buying some of this and spraying it on with a pump spray. And then using some scoulers on a pole to give the roof a good scrub. 

This won't damage the polycarbonate will it? 

Screenshot_20200903_145531_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Was thinking about buying some of this and spraying it on with a pump spray. And then using some scoulers on a pole to give the roof a good scrub. 

This won't damage the polycarbonate will it? 

View attachment 21760
I can't say as I don't have any experience of that product. I only ever use the method and products I described, in conjunction with a medium mixed sill brush on an SLX 22. No abrasive chemicals or scourers.

How do you guys get lichen off conservatory roof efficiently. Had one today and took my ages to scrape off, as non of my brushes would move it. 

I haven't done that many this year, but one I did a few weeks back was on a job where I pressure washed the drive. With the P/W being set up, I work off big step ladders for the roofs -  I pressure washed the roof with a turbo lance, not that close so not to cause damage, but it saved a lot of scrubbing and came up immaculate, especially all the green/black finials.
I used to fit windows and conservatories before coming a windie and one thing I can say for definite, using pressure washers on conny roofs is a really, really bad idea

How do you guys get lichen off conservatory roof efficiently. Had one today and took my ages to scrape off, as non of my brushes would move it. 
I think I'm just gunna get some of that roof cleaner, spray it all on the roof and then literally tie 2 scowling brushes (like for washing up) on a pole and do it that way. Unless anyone gives me a reason this is a bad idea? ?

Would steel wool be ok to use on polycarbonate? And where do I get ubik from? 

Cheers. 
In 21 years of window Cleaning I have never needed to use bronze wool or any other abrasive product , there is no need that I have found yet , I wouldn’t want to use anything like that on polycarbonate  it’s a very soft plastic and will scratch easily , once scratched evan if you don’t see the scratches from inside as it’s generally opaque it will give algi and lickens something to get a grip on and more surface area to grow, I find a good spray with 10-1 mix of virisol and scrub with wfp and hot water will remove anything I have come across, algi,moss, licken, bird poo, dried on egg,etc always comes off we did a glass roof today not been cleaned in 15 years came up like new , should have takes some pictures but forgot !!!! 

Get it wet first , lickens like to absorb water when dry they are a nightmare to remove , once wet they soften up and come off very easily with virisol and hot water 

Get it wet first , lickens like to absorb water when dry they are a nightmare to remove , once wet they soften up and come off very easily with virisol and hot water 
What if no access to hot water? Just I don't have any hot water system in place at the moment. 

Back