Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Can cheap a squeegee work?

Bobsonduggnutt

Hi guys, I have been going for around 3-4 months now and pretty much all over my work is WFP. I used to do a bit of trad years ago and always enjoyed the method, anyway I have decided to take on some trad work to keep things interesting but I'm having some confidence issues. I ordered a load of Unger stuff from WCW weeks ago and still no sign of it, as I have some shopfronts coming up this weekend I decided to run to screwfix and buy one of thier cheap window cleaning sets in the hope it would get me by until the good gear arrives but I'm finding the squeegees that come with it impossible to use, I'm not sure if my technique is just sh*t or if the squeegee are unusable. They just seem to bleed through the middle. Has anyone ever tried to use these things in a pinch, if so what was your experience? I can remember being able to fan a wi dow years ago without putting much pressure on the glass and without having to think about it much but jeez these things have got me panicking Haha. Thanks.

From what I have seen of cheep squeegies sold in DIY/Hardware stores they have really hard rubber which is feck all use for window cleaning.

Two years ago I found myself in a bad jam. My van deadlocked itself with all my tools in the back. With the bulkhead there was no way to get my tools out.

I headed to homebase and bought some cheap gear, and went to work in my car. The difference to my usually Unger tools was very noticable. The worst of it was the squeegee rubber which was absolute rubbish. I managed to find a strip of Unger soft in my shed and after a week got my tools back. It was a fuse which took four days to fault find ?. I now make sure I have a bucket with basic spare kit else where just in case.

20180617_155325.jpg

Screwfix sell unger gear and rubber. That should do you right...
Managed to get an Unger professional and some rubber from them today, this is the hardest thing have found about starting up.....waiting on things being delivered from the window cleaning websites,I was actually able to build up £400 worth of work in less time than it took my new pole to be delivered Haha.

Two years ago I found myself in a bad jam. My van deadlocked itself with all my tools in the back. With the bulkhead there was no way to get my tools out.

I headed to homebase and bought some cheap gear, and went to work in my car. The difference to my usually Unger tools was very noticable. The worst of it was the squeegee rubber which was absolute rubbish. I managed to find a strip of Unger soft in my shed and after a week got my tools back. It was a fuse which took four days to fault find ?. I now make sure I have a bucket with basic spare kit else where just in case.

View attachment 21761
I'm going to do the same, ordered a backpack aswell further WFP stuff.

Managed to get an Unger professional and some rubber from them today, this is the hardest thing have found about starting up.....waiting on things being delivered from the window cleaning websites,I was actually able to build up £400 worth of work in less time than it took my new pole to be delivered Haha.

I'm going to do the same, ordered a backpack aswell further WFP stuff.
Mate, almost all the suppliers are great. The issue is you’ve stumbled across the one that’s not so great, Window Cleaning Wearhouse ?

Heres some useful links. I barely do any trad but I’m sure others can also recommend companies that sell trad gear. Hope they can help:

https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk

https://www.daqua.co.uk

https://ex-ceedinnovation.co.uk

https://www.cleaningspot.co.uk

Hi guys, I have been going for around 3-4 months now and pretty much all over my work is WFP. I used to do a bit of trad years ago and always enjoyed the method, anyway I have decided to take on some trad work to keep things interesting but I'm having some confidence issues. I ordered a load of Unger stuff from WCW weeks ago and still no sign of it, as I have some shopfronts coming up this weekend I decided to run to screwfix and buy one of thier cheap window cleaning sets in the hope it would get me by until the good gear arrives but I'm finding the squeegees that come with it impossible to use, I'm not sure if my technique is just sh*t or if the squeegee are unusable. They just seem to bleed through the middle. Has anyone ever tried to use these things in a pinch, if so what was your experience? I can remember being able to fan a wi dow years ago without putting much pressure on the glass and without having to think about it much but jeez these things have got me panicking Haha. Thanks.
Anything cheap will not work. Homebase used to do unger ergotec then went to consumer blue. 

Why didn't you do a Google search for local cleaning equipment suppliers in the first instance and try to support local businesses over million mile away highlanders 

If anyone ever gets stuck heres places that sell trad 

Homebase - Unger domestic (blue) 

Screwfix - Unger Ergotec trade (green) 

Toolstation - Unger ErgoTec trade (green) 

Back