Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

CLX vs SLX worth the upgrade?

WCF

Help Support WCF:

ShropsWindowCleaner

I currently have a CLX 27. I’m purchasing a new pole, probably a SLX 27. If anyone has moved from CLX to SLX, is there much difference between the two? Weight? Rigidity? Better for back/shoulders?

Thanks in advance ??‍♂️

My favorite topic, I moved from a CLX to a SLX and moved back again. Yes it is more rigid and yes it's very marginally lighter. It is however more expensive, the gap has shrank a lot recently, but it takes a lot more maintenance to prevent black hands so in my humble opinion it's not worth the extra money. I will probably be the only person on the site that says this though.

Save up a bit more and buy the Xtreme, then you'll see the difference in weight and rigidity

I recently moved across and must say I’m much enjoying it, I have noticed a positive difference in weight and rigidity. 

I wear gloves so black hands don’t effect me, however I have noticed black staining in my Work shirts and high vis vests from carbon dust (I assume that’s what it is). Happened with the CLX but not to the same extent. 

If you can go for the Extreme, like @Part Timer recommended, then do it, (almost) everyone raves about them. 

I’d agree about the weight difference being small but it’s the rigidity that will make the difference and it’s only £70 + vat more than the clx. It’ll last two years so that’s about 80p a week more. I’ve got both in 18 foot and find the clx so whippy compared to the slx let alone on a 27. 
To eliminate black hands I just extend the pole and wipe it with a wet soapy cloth. Do it at my first job and then around midday. Takes 30 seconds a time so a minute a day and problem solved. 

Though from what ive read the extreme may be more liable to breaking. Still, if money was no object would love to give the extreme a go.

I’d agree about the weight difference being small but it’s the rigidity that will make the difference and it’s only £70 + vat more than the clx. It’ll last two years so that’s about 80p a week more. I’ve got both in 18 foot and find the clx so whippy compared to the slx let alone on a 27. 
To eliminate black hands I just extend the pole and wipe it with a wet soapy cloth. Do it at my first job and then around midday. Takes 30 seconds a time so a minute a day and problem solved. 
If you buy a CLX22 and an extension, you then have a lighter pole for 90% of your work and the ability to quickly extend it for the higher work. This is also about £130 cheaper then a SLX 27.  For some unknown reason a CLX 27 is considerably more then a CLX 22 with an extension, usually a shorter pole plus extension is more expensive. I think people that never used the old fibreglass / alloy poles struggle to control poles  like the CLX and therefore rate the SLX much more.

If you buy a CLX22 and an extension, you then have a lighter pole for 90% of your work and the ability to quickly extend it for the higher work. This is also about £130 cheaper then a SLX 27.  For some unknown reason a CLX 27 is considerably more then a CLX 22 with an extension, usually a shorter pole plus extension is more expensive. I think people that never used the old fibreglass / alloy poles struggle to control poles  like the CLX and therefore rate the SLX much more.
God don’t remind me. My first pole was a 30ft streamline fibreglass pole. It was almost 5kg which by today’s standards is unthinkable. Clamps were awful as well. 

God don’t remind me. My first pole was a 30ft streamline fibreglass pole. It was almost 5kg which by today’s standards is unthinkable. Clamps were awful as well. 
I used one when I was starting out a couple of years ago. Was loaned to me by my uncle. I had a previous injury in my wrist from when I was a lad and I woke up one night in agony with the pain! Was ready to chuck it in at that point but spoke to a WC mate who immediately got me to order a CLX! ?

Back