Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

water from RO to a DI vessel

BradHenderson

Hi all,

I'm looking at buying a 600GPD RO system (PPM from the tap is 250) and I've figured im most likely going to need one DI vessel to polish the water off. Will I need a booster pump between the RO and DI vessel and can it just run straight through. any help or advice is much appreciated!

Depends on your water pressure. Ideally you need 100psi to get best out of ro membrane.

Just re read your post. If your tap pressure is low a booster between pre filters and ro is best for efficiency and speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't need a booster pump between your R/O and DI but as @ched999uksaid if you're water pressure isn't sufficient you might need a booster pump before R/O. No knowledge of a 600gpd system so don't know what the pressure required is to make it efficient.

Your starting water, (possibly pressure) and system sound similar to what I use @BradHenderson although I use a 450 gpd system. I do use a booster pump between the RO and DI to increase production a bit better. Can make around 40-50 litres of pure per hour, probably the 40 litre mark is closer, enough for my needs if made and stored in advance for the following weeks work.

Straight out of the RO, with new pre filters and membranes I get it down to 008/009 ppm, then into the DI which gives me the required 000. Right now, with used prefilters (which I've just ordered some fresh ones) I'm getting 033 before DI, so I need to get that down best I can using the fresh ones to come. I do expect it'll come out around 015-020 at that point, the 11 litre DI can handle that pretty easy.  

Your starting water, (possibly pressure) and system sound similar to what I use @BradHenderson although I use a 450 gpd system. I do use a booster pump between the RO and DI to increase production a bit better. Can make around 40-50 litres of pure per hour, probably the 40 litre mark is closer, enough for my needs if made and stored in advance for the following weeks work.

Straight out of the RO, with new pre filters and membranes I get it down to 008/009 ppm, then into the DI which gives me the required 000. Right now, with used prefilters (which I've just ordered some fresh ones) I'm getting 033 before DI, so I need to get that down best I can using the fresh ones to come. I do expect it'll come out around 015-020 at that point, the 11 litre DI can handle that pretty easy.  
I'm sorry but why would you put a booster pump between the r/o and DI vessel?

A booster pump is there to increase pressure on the membranes so they work more efficiently if you have low water pressure. A booster pump goes either before the inlet to the prefilters or after the prefilters and before the R/O housing.

I'm sorry but why would you put a booster pump between the r/o and DI vessel?

A booster pump is there to increase pressure on the membranes so they work more efficiently if you have low water pressure. A booster pump goes either before the inlet to the prefilters or after the prefilters and before the R/O housing.
I'm glad you posted this as I thought I'd made a mistake

I'm glad you posted this as I thought I'd made a mistake
Appears I have made a whooping one @Part Timer, thanks for letting me know that @spruce I'll look to re attach it at some point. To be fair I don't think it makes a massive difference pressure wise, likely a waste of power as my pressure isn't all that low.

so before the membranes then, or before the filters, good to know guys

If your Prefilter need changing and your ppm has gone up quite a bit out of your RO, then chances are you have buggered you membrane. One of the main reasons to keep good quality Prefilters changed is that chlorine can ruin a membrane, don't change your Prefilters enough, filters fail, chlorine slips through, damages membrane (I speak from experience).

Back