Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Charging just for the fronts?

JustLiam

Random strange question...Has anyone ever just charged for like just the fronts of a house? And like extra for the back. I see a lot of chaps prices for the size of the house. Does anyone just charge front and back? 

We used to have fronts cleaned every 2 weeks and backs every 4 weeks. We were running holiday apartments just off Blackpool prom. Sometimes we would get extra cleans if necessary due to wind, sand, rain. and seagulls.

Be as flexible as you want, it's your business.

My fronts only are my most profitable customers 

We have a minimum charge, I explain our prices start from £x and your front will be that

One stop we do 6 in a row on a 4 weekly ??

Another ground floor flat 3 windows ? and they give us a tip

I have a minimum charge of £7.50 so better than a full house with a few in a row, on some terraced houses I clean they have only ever wanted the front's cleaned as the backs are all locked up with high walls been doing these over 12 years 

All your replies are really interesting. Why do most Price lists price up on the size of the house then? My friend has a 4 bedroom house but it looks like a 3 from the front...

I dont have a price list

When the customer rings just tell them I will need to see the property to give a quote

When they wont give out the address but say 10 windows etc they are always looking for the cheapest quote and will be time wasters    

You don’t have a price list...wow. And that works for you? Interesting! I keep thinking about flyers, but weather to put prices on them or not? I feel people would like to know before they call? Not sure!!

You don’t have a price list...wow. And that works for you? Interesting! I keep thinking about flyers, but weather to put prices on them or not? I feel people would like to know before they call? Not sure!!
Dont worry about pricing thats the easy part you will pull up to quote and have a price in your mind before you are out the van extra for a conny etc

Customers thats the hard part finding the good ones   

We don’t have a price list either as some 3 bed semis will be totally different to others , we have some 4 bed detached houses some are twice the size of the others so are priced differently, a fixed price  for a certain type  of house in my books is likely to shoot you in the foot . Also price isn’t just based on the number of windows it’s also based on access , size , height , stuff that’s in the way , type of window etc 

Last edited by a moderator:
So basically prices are based on a lot more than the glass. You have to price up the logistics etc etc. A lot to think about. Maybe I will just do a “From” Price on the leaflets and do free quotes. 

As mentioned fronts only can be very profitable. The back is often where The time and money is lost if you dont get the pricing right. 
As pjj says You can base prices on many things. If it can easily be added to an existing round e.g. cleaning neighbors already then straight away it may work out well, as opposed to if you have no work in that area youd more than likely be inclined to have a call out charge. Can you actually park anywhere is often something that gets overlooked, many inner city areas we dont have a hope in hell of getting a space within reasonable distance of the house so cant take on the job to start with. 
If the job requires two people (person needed to foot ladder) for access to and from a flat roof, then you must be charging adequately. Size of house/amount of time & water used, frequency of cleaning, type of window, conservatories, roof lanterns, access and obstructions etc, The list goes on and on. 
you might get two semi detached houses next to each other, the one on the left might be 3 flat faces with easy access all round, no cars ever parked on the drive, windows always closed, no sills, basic UPVC double glazed Low height 18-22 ft pole, piece of cake. 10 minute job?

the one next door might be extension built over driveway so through the garage/house job if you have backpacks. There could be a kitchen extension with multiple skylights, a conservatory or a roof lantern, a loft extension with windows that require a 35 ft pole, The windows might be sash or have deep sills (lots of corners for things to get stuck in) and generally harder to clean. Two dozen plants pots and patio sets car parked smack bang in middle of driveway which is too narrow so need to ask for it to be moved, half the windows left wide open even though you sent the reminder text the day before. So you could have two houses right next to each other one could be £10-£20 the other could be £30-£60 because on one youre in and out, but the other takes 40 mins or an hour or more.
another big one, how close is a job to home? Could you wake up in the morning drive round the corner without having to face traffic lights or the rush hour? Or is it 40 mins through heavy traffic, red lights and roadworks to an outer town where you have no other work? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Random strange question...Has anyone ever just charged for like just the fronts of a house? And like extra for the back. I see a lot of chaps prices for the size of the house. Does anyone just charge front and back? 
i clean fronts only on some very compact estate jobs where i have loads of work if access is a problem but i dont take on fronts only if its  stand alone job not near other work......i might only charge £5 for some fronts and i still manage to hit £45-£50 an hour on estate work so im happy.....

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop drinking
why?its never a wrong week to stop drinking if you ve got a problem with alcohol...one day at a time mate.....

Back