Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

White painted UPVC window frames

WCF

Help Support WCF:

Paul Hickmott

Suggestions / help please. I went to a new customers house to quote and the husband has painted the downstairs UPVC frames with white Matt external paint! I have said I can clean the windows but will not be able to do much about his painting job. Any suggestions I can give him to help him try to remove the stuff now he realises his mistake?

thanks

Suggestions / help please. I went to a new customers house to quote and the husband has painted the downstairs UPVC frames with white Matt external paint! I have said I can clean the windows but will not be able to do much about his painting job. Any suggestions I can give him to help him try to remove the stuff now he realises his mistake?

thanks
To be fair you can't cure stupid and nor is it really your responsibility. What kind of idiot does such a stupid thing ?. Turps or white spirits may help but if that was me, I'd advise him best I can and just do glass only until he has resolved the issue, after all you'll just be taking his paint flecks onto the next customer. 

thanks
Hi if you going to help him I dont think white spirit or turps will Work , Methylated spirit I think you need and bit Of Rubbing but don't hold me to it , see what some other guys say on here if they Agree,  if you are to clean the windows , just do the windows stay away from the frames for now , or you will be blamed when they don't look great due to any Disclouration from the frames . 

thanks
If he has painted over a dark wood effect pvc then I would let him crack on himself any chemicals used to get the paint off could damage the wood effect wrapping over the frame as it's not a solid colour and they could end up looking an absolute mess and may never get all the paint off he will just have accept his mistake and live with it or replace the windows. 

We do loads of these. It seems to becoming more popular these days. As long as it’s been professionally sprayed it should be fine although I wouldnt be as confident if the custy has done it there self and I would explain prior to cleaning that I wouldn’t be liable for any damages caused by the cleaning process. 

thanks
I once used do a house and husband decided to paint the wooden leaded frames he under coated but never got round to glossing them. I was tradding at the time and warned that the glass would probably leave a " haze " when they have been scrimmed over he said no problem  and after the second clean he sacked me and told other people on the street what a **** job I had done ?.

On another note im now doing a few houses that gave gone for  latest fashion for having frames spray painted professionally and I clean them as normal and they come up a treat.

But I'm just waiting for the cheapo cowboys to jump on the bandwagon  and then we may have problems.

Customer of mine says they are going to try to paint theirs grey(a fashionable colour now) over the now original white upvc weather permitting, and they have bought special paint after watching Youtube tutorials. Presume they are going the brush route rather than spray...will be interesting to see the results when done. Course how tough the finish will be will be interesting, though as it is a bungalow I Trad it and so do not use a wfp brush on the frames.

There is a house opposite us that had frames, door, gfs all spray painted dark gray by 2 blokes out of the back of an old (1980's) XJ40 Jag!!!

That was about 12 months ago. Now even from across the road you can see the white upvc on the gutters where they have expanded and contracted over time and the brackets have rubbed the paint off where they contact the gutters!!

It doesn't look that good. Hate to think what it will look like in a few years...

There is a local window blind company that have expanded into spraying upvc frames etc. So looks like it's becoming more popular.

I wonder how the paint will stand up to regular cleaning not to mention the sand blasting we get around the coast here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back