Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Split charge relay

DavieB

Hi All, Having got a newer van last year, which is a 2015 vauxhall vivaro, my split charge relay doesn't appear to be doing what i expected. After 3 days of use, the battery voltage drops too low for it to run the controller for the pump, which tells me that my split charge relay may not be compatible with my van. Being that it is a 2015 vivaro, i wondered if it is a euro 6, and therefore not able to charge the battery, which means i may need a battery to battery charger. I've looked at the v5 but it doesn't mention if it is or isn't a euro 6. The split charge relay i've been using in my other van and also in this newer van is in the image, can anyone please advise? TIA

Split Charge Relay.jpg

I would give the battery a bench charge and see how it goes. It could be your battery is on it's way out. Test the battery first.

EU5 and EU6 can have 'smart alternators' that uses the ecu to determine if and when to charge the starter battery. Some charge at a high voltage (18V) when you brake. Sometimes they use a shunt resistor by the battery to measure battery load and then charge accordingly. Sometimes you can move the connection of your split charger to the other side of the shunt resistor then the ecu 'sees' the extra load when the split charger kicks in.

If you do have a smart alternator then you might have to get a proper battery to battery charger like the Sterling Pro Battery Ultra but they are not cheap!!!

I would give the battery a bench charge and see how it goes. It could be your battery is on it's way out. Test the battery first.

EU5 and EU6 can have 'smart alternators' that uses the ecu to determine if and when to charge the starter battery. Some charge at a high voltage (18V) when you brake. Sometimes they use a shunt resistor by the battery to measure battery load and then charge accordingly. Sometimes you can move the connection of your split charger to the other side of the shunt resistor then the ecu 'sees' the extra load when the split charger kicks in.

If you do have a smart alternator then you might have to get a proper battery to battery charger like the Sterling Pro Battery Ultra but they are not cheap!!!
Thanks for the reply. Ever since i noticed the scr doesn't charge it, i use a proper leisure battery charger to fully charge it, it's also a brand new battery, only two weeks old, so i know it's not the battery. I was just trying to find out if the van was euro 6 and then make a decision on whether to buy the Sterling pro ultra

From what I can find out the eu6 engines came in mid 2016. So if you don't have an adblue next to fuel filler cap it should be eu5.

Not sure what type of alternator/ecu is on the eu5 I will see what I can find.

From what I can find out the eu6 engines came in mid 2016. So if you don't have an adblue next to fuel filler cap it should be eu5.

Not sure what type of alternator/ecu is on the eu5 I will see what I can find.
Thank you Part timer. I had a look on hpi.co.uk and put in my veh reg and it says euro 5, so just need to find a scr that's suitable for euro 5.. Thanks again

Hi All, Having got a newer van last year, which is a 2015 vauxhall vivaro, my split charge relay doesn't appear to be doing what i expected. After 3 days of use, the battery voltage drops too low for it to run the controller for the pump, which tells me that my split charge relay may not be compatible with my van. Being that it is a 2015 vivaro, i wondered if it is a euro 6, and therefore not able to charge the battery, which means i may need a battery to battery charger. I've looked at the v5 but it doesn't mention if it is or isn't a euro 6. The split charge relay i've been using in my other van and also in this newer van is in the image, can anyone please advise? TIA

View attachment 21769
The garage have told me if you charge any battery when you disconnected the charger or switch off the power to it.

Wait 15 mins as it can release a explosive gas and a spark will make it go up

This was news to me but be careful    

Back