Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Wfp link by spring possible design flaw/issue

Baldmonkey

I finally fitted my wfp link last week and have been using it for about 4 days, I suddenly looked down today and saw what could be a potential design flaw/issue. 

As everyone knows on here, we get wet, very wet sometimes and the wfp link remote has its charging port on the top left hand side as it hangs. 

Now micro USB has been around a long time some are waterproof some are not.... Anyone have or had issue with water ingress on the remote causing usage/charging problems? 20200907_133318.jpg

Could you not just put it in a clear food bag with an elastic band wrapped around it to protect from the elements till it's time to charge. 

Surely you'll still be able to press the buttons .   Then unravel the bag and elastic band to charge

Could you not just put it in a clear food bag with an elastic band wrapped around it to protect from the elements till it's time to charge. 

Surely you'll still be able to press the buttons .   Then unravel the bag and elastic band to charge
Products costs alot of money  to be doing that. 

Whats the range like on this? Do you rate the product?

Products costs alot of money  to be doing that. 

Whats the range like on this? Do you rate the product?
What would you suggest then for a quick fix?

If it's going to stop the fob from getting ingress , or worse, waterlogged  in an extreme situation... it's something that i would consider for not very much effort..

Honestly nothing. Water proof spray. But the money they cost to buy IT SHOULDNT be an issue it should have been thought about. But at £170 I'd rather send it back then have to gonout of my way trying to keep it dry

Yeah for the price I'm not putting it in a plastic bag, what I will be doing is buying some micro USB dust covers to stop ingress.... My point is, how was this not noticed at design/ R&D stage. 

Or buy a Pure Freedom fob with the battery inside casing.
Battery is inside the cade but needs charging due to the technology used to get the long range, no problem with charging, just in the worst place possible. 

Whilst I appreciate the replies, I think people have misread my original post, I asked if there was any known issues with the micro USB plug in the position it's in on the wfp link... As an engineer I can work out a solution, just wanted to know if anyone had water ingress etc

I lost the charge port cover on my backpack about a year ago and I was a bit worried at first about water gettin in but after working in some horrid rain it’s been fine. The pins seem to be gettin a little corroded but it’s still working fine. Just make sure it’s dry when you charge it. 

I've noticed the water on it also so I've bought these i will post the link for ebay 

20210108_131220.jpg

Last edited:
Not had a problem here. I don't get wet cleaning windows and I won't work in heavy rain but if I get caught out, I simply tuck the remote inside my outer layer. 

I finally fitted my wfp link last week and have been using it for about 4 days, I suddenly looked down today and saw what could be a potential design flaw/issue. 

As everyone knows on here, we get wet, very wet sometimes and the wfp link remote has its charging port on the top left hand side as it hangs. 

Now micro USB has been around a long time some are waterproof some are not.... Anyone have or had issue with water ingress on the remote causing usage/charging problems? View attachment 21770
Are you using the wfp link standalone or is this the controller with the built in link?

I think the v16 now comes with a 2metre magnetic antenna which would suit me as my current controller is built within the tank behind a panel and the stubby Ariel won’t fit. 

Have emailed spring as I can’t find a retailer that sells what I want.

@Ian Sheppard

Just read your full review impressive read ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the v16 now comes with a 2metre magnetic antenna which would suit me as my current controller is built within the tank behind a panel and the stubby Ariel won’t fit. 

Have emailed spring as I can’t find a retailer that sells what I want.

@Ian Sheppard

Just read your full review impressive read ?
Good morning Den. Yes we can produce a WFP Link with a coaxial cable and internal magnetic mounted antenna. The standard stocked version is the one with the antenna mounted on to the controller enclosure. X-line I believe may have a stock on  the version with the Mag mount antenna.

Too cover another question on this Stream and apologies I have not picked up on this before. The USB connector we use on the Fob is water resistant so in a rain shower would not be an issue. The Fob Itself is moulded to our design and has a lip between the front and back part of the fob together with a seal. The Fob is IP65 rated for water resistance

Cheers

Good morning Den. Yes we can produce a WFP Link with a coaxial cable and internal magnetic mounted antenna. The standard stocked version is the one with the antenna mounted on to the controller enclosure. X-line I believe may have a stock on  the version with the Mag mount antenna.

Too cover another question on this Stream and apologies I have not picked up on this before. The USB connector we use on the Fob is water resistant so in a rain shower would not be an issue. The Fob Itself is moulded to our design and has a lip between the front and back part of the fob together with a seal. The Fob is IP65 rated for water resistance

Cheers
Cheers Ian ?

Sorry not read the entire thread but no problems with mine - been a great bit of kit! On a side note i've found that if your vehicles stereo has a usb socket, you can also recharge it from that! I don't bother bringing mine in now, i just leave it in the motor.

Back