Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Best van to buy for new starter

Tyronem

Hi all, 

I'm starting up my own window cleaning business and I'm buying an X-Tank 500ltr Water Fed Pole System from Xline systems. So what would be a van you would recommend please..

I will be doing gutter cleaning aswell but might sound cheeky I will sub out any jobs I get for pressure washing for now. 

I have a driveway and garage to fill up the tank. 

I've got about 5k to start so will have to borrow or finance the van. 

Thanks for your help. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Think about what you want long term. i.e. do you want to add gutter cleaning or pressure washing? If so get a van that has the space and weight capacity. Remember 500lts of water is 500kg never mind the tank and frame, plus leisure battery, all your kit and you go to make up the load!!! Drivers are sometimes included in vehicle kerb weight sometimes not - I can never remember if it's a year or manufacturer specific thing. Remember exceeding max load could land you a fine not to mention invalidate insurance! 

If you do lots of town work how easy is it to park a bigger van?

Bigger van generally do less to the gallon. Maybe more to insure?

Do you intend to get an employee?

Do you want to process water on board or at home. If at home can you get van close enough to fill tank? Can you fit van on driveway?

Lots to think about....

Hi all, 

I'm starting up my own window cleaning business and I'm buying an X-Tank 500ltr Water Fed Pole System from Xline systems. So what would be a van you would recommend please..

I will be doing gutter cleaning aswell but might sound cheeky I will sub out any jobs I get for pressure washing for now. 

Thanks for your help. 
Whatever van you buy you need to know the payload is sufficient,  500ltrs of water is 500kg plus the tank and fittings and battery could be another 100kg hose reel toolbox bits and pieces and include yourself then you could quite easily be getting towards 700kg or more. 

Hi all, 

Thanks for your help. 
I financed a 18 plate Expert Compact and I have a 500L tank in it. Finding it great but I only do window cleaning, but you may find the normal wheelbase is better if you want to carry other things. 

if you haven’t purchased your system yet, check out Pure2O, they are owned by Ionics. I just got my system from them and they will price match any other system. So it means I got a crash tested one for a lot less than normal. So I’d give them a ring and let them know the price you’ve been quoted and what for (I think you will need to send them the written quote from Xline). 

https://www.pure2o.co.uk/price-promise/

Thanks for the replys. 

Pay loads didn't even cross my mind so another thing to add to the list so thanks for that. 

Any recommendations for a full tank set up in a van? I was looking at Xline one but starting to hear they are overpriced for what they are. 

I've bought a Gardiner back pack and a used pole for now and just started cleaning my house and some friends houses just getting used to it and I'm still in my full time job so will build up my custoomers doing weekends and evening as I can finish by 3pm

In a nutshell I would really appreciate what would you do if you was in my shoes starting up? Ie buying a van and set up to get me going. 

Thank you for your help. 

I financed a 18 plate Expert Compact and I have a 500L tank in it. Finding it great but I only do window cleaning, but you may find the normal wheelbase is better if you want to carry other things. 

if you haven’t purchased your system yet, check out Pure2O, they are owned by Ionics. I just got my system from them and they will price match any other system. So it means I got a crash tested one for a lot less than normal. So I’d give them a ring and let them know the price you’ve been quoted and what for (I think you will need to send them the written quote from Xline). 

https://www.pure2o.co.uk/price-promise/
i know a window cleaner who paid £6k for  400L cold water system(including fitting) from pure20.....with a manual reel too........i think he was a bit sick when i showed him my set up!(grippatank 9kw hot water system with frost stat,pure freedom 500L tank/frame,pure freedom reelmaster electric reel)mine cost me roughly £5,800 including fitting.......?

You could start little and see how you go.

i.e. use your car! Notify your car insurance company that you want business use for window cleaning. Get public liability insurance and insurance for working on peoples houses/glass.

Get a decent TDS meter and maybe water pressure gauge, RO +DI processing unit (probably about £150) a trolley for your backpack some barrels and off you go!

No major expense and you can work weekends to see how you go.

Spending out big at startup might be good for some but until you start doing wfp for customers you don't really know what it's like. Doing your own and friends windows are relatively easy as you can check your work and they are not going to go on Facebook saying you did a poor job!! 

Read lots on here, there are many people who have asked for advice when starting out and some good posts of people who are doing well like HWCS. There is a huge amount of stuff here just spend your evenings reading here and you will learn lots.

Pay loads didn't even cross my mind so another thing to add to the list so thanks for that. 

Any recommendations for a full tank set up in a van? I was looking at Xline one but starting to hear they are overpriced for what they are. 
Payload is very important, as as others pointed out how manufacture’s calculate it is different. I got caught out, got my van to take a 600l and ended up getting a 500l to be on the safe side since the numbers were too close when fully laden with 2 folk. 

Regarding the system, I got a quote from Window Cleaning Wearhouse first and then Pure2O priced matched for that me, if that’s any help. WCW looks good but unfortunately not crash tested. My opinion is that to justify paying all the extra for a system (rather than DIY) is that you know it’s secure and safe. No point going for a untested one. Pure2O (Ionics), Grippa and Pure Freedom are the ones who have crash tested. 

i know a window cleaner who paid £6k for  400L cold water system(including fitting) from pure20.....with a manual reel too........i think he was a bit sick when i showed him my set up!(grippatank 9kw hot water system with frost stat,pure freedom 500L tank/frame,pure freedom reelmaster electric reel)mine cost me roughly £5,800 including fitting.......?
Seems a bit high for a 400L but that’ll depend on the extra kit. Pure2O publish there prices along with Grippa, I don’t think PureFreedom do. 

EDIT: Just checked Pure2O website and the most expensive 400L (RO with booster and all the whistles) is £5200 if my maths is correct. Did his price including speedliner? That would take it to £6k. And I assume your price didn’t as PureFreedom told me they don’t do it, but would sell me a Protectacoat kit. 

i got prices from all the major players, WCW, Waterworks, Grippa and PureFreedom before someone suggested Pure2O to me (I had no idea they existed). They came out the best priced by a country mile when they priced matched. And that was including the 3D reel. 

Early days yet so I can’t sing for reliability or customer service, I’ll put a proper review up in time, but so far so good with the system! 

Payload is very important, as as others pointed out how manufacture’s calculate it is different. I got caught out, got my van to take a 600l and ended up getting a 500l to be on the safe side since the numbers were too close when fully laden with 2 folk. 

Regarding the system, I got a quote from Window Cleaning Wearhouse first and then Pure2O priced matched for that me, if that’s any help. WCW looks good but unfortunately not crash tested. My opinion is that to justify paying all the extra for a system (rather than DIY) is that you know it’s secure and safe. No point going for a untested one. Pure2O (Ionics), Grippa and Pure Freedom are the ones who have crabs tested
?

Thanks for the replys. 

I've bought a Gardiner back pack and a used pole for now and just started cleaning my house and some friends houses just getting used to it and I'm still in my full time job so will build up my custoomers doing weekends and evening as I can finish by 3pm

In a nutshell I would really appreciate what would you do if you was in my shoes starting up? Ie buying a van and set up to get me going. 

Thank you for your help. 
If I was just starting I definitely wouldn’t spend silly money on a system and get myself into debt with a loan on a van. 
Some people just aren’t suited to the job  for various reasons or find it far harder to build a round than they anticipate. 
I just brought a van and fitted it out myself when I started apart from fitting the tank frame which I got a mechanic to fit. The rest of it really isn’t that hard but can seem daunting at first but just search on here and ask for help if you really can’t find the answer. 
Alternatively you could just buy a van fitted out. There’s a combo with a 350l tank on eBay right now for £4500 but it’s a bit overpriced. Fitted out by baileys originally but being sold second hand. It’s got Pretty much everything you need. 
If after a year or two you find you need bigger you can always trade up and you’ll still get a good resale value on it. 
best of luck 

If I was just starting I definitely wouldn’t spend silly money on a system and get myself into debt with a loan on a van. 
Some people just aren’t suited to the job  for various reasons or find it far harder to build a round than they anticipate. 
I just brought a van and fitted it out myself when I started apart from fitting the tank frame which I got a mechanic to fit. The rest of it really isn’t that hard but can seem daunting at first but just search on here and ask for help if you really can’t find the answer. 
Alternatively you could just buy a van fitted out. There’s a combo with a 350l tank on eBay right now for £4500 but it’s a bit overpriced. Fitted out by baileys originally but being sold second hand. It’s got Pretty much everything you need. 
If after a year or two you find you need bigger you can always trade up and you’ll still get a good resale value on it. 
best of luck 
I agree, always amazes me that some people are willing to blow £1,000's on a van and system without having a single job or know if they are suited to being self-employed 

I agree, always amazes me that some people are willing to blow £1,000's on a van and system without having a single job or know if they are suited to being self-employed 
I agree to... I've bought a back pack and squeegee and have spent all day Saturday doing my own windows and conservatory and some friends windows and family but will start doing weekends and evenings to build up some customers soon. So far I love it. I've been wanting to do this for years but never had the guts to but when I was in lock down it made me realise the job I'm in just isn't what I want to do and I've always thought when I've seen window cleaners, I could do that!! For me it's what you make of it that really counts. It beats being stuck in a car driving up and down the M25 to meeting and conferences all day. I now I will love being out doors yes in the cold as well but you take the good with the bad and make the most of it. The other thing is how helpful all window cleaners are to each other!! Probably sounds funny but it's like being part of a family. The help I've had on here is fantastic and if I could I'd buy everyone a beer to say thanks.. 

I agree to... I've bought a back pack and squeegee and have spent all day Saturday doing my own windows and conservatory and some friends windows and family but will start doing weekends and evenings to build up some customers soon. So far I love it. I've been wanting to do this for years but never had the guts to but when I was in lock down it made me realise the job I'm in just isn't what I want to do and I've always thought when I've seen window cleaners, I could do that!! For me it's what you make of it that really counts. It beats being stuck in a car driving up and down the M25 to meeting and conferences all day. I now I will love being out doors yes in the cold as well but you take the good with the bad and make the most of it. The other thing is how helpful all window cleaners are to each other!! Probably sounds funny but it's like being part of a family. The help I've had on here is fantastic and if I could I'd buy everyone a beer to say thanks.. 
One of the local window cleaners started with a Pure Freedom trolley, an open trailer that carries 15 x 20 litre drums of pure water and now the family Mondeo he puts his pole and cleaning stuff in. 

He has run that same trailer for more than 10 years although the Mondeo is now only used for work.

Originally he began working out of the back of a Citroen Picasso.

I agree with the comment made by @Iron Giant. Some people aren't cut out to be self employed. 

I certainly wouldn't spend big on a system until I got a round established. It requires a lot of hard graft to achieve this. It will be even harder doing it over weekends when you are tired from working a normal 9 to 5 job.

Self employment has it's perks but also has it's downside. No sick pay or holiday pay are two and if the weather is really bad like it was 10 years ago, we had very little income coming in for 6 weeks.

We do have a little more security in that we work an established round of customers with repeat work,  unlike say roofers who have to continually advertise for work.

I wish you all the best in moving in our industry.

back pack and a squeegee?? Are you going down the trad route or water fed pole route??

No WFP route! But will do some trad work to save water when needed. 

Any advice mate? 
I was just wondering what method you were doing whilst waiting for your van set up. You say you have been doing your home and friends. Have you got access to pure at the moment. Didn’t know if you are doing something totally random like tap water and then blading it off until you get going. 

Back