Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van payload weight help

chris70

Can anyone help me with my payload weight Have a Peugeot partner pro L1 ATV blue HDI 2017 was led to believe it was 850 payload but not sure this is the tag inside door AA6E8FFE-0DE5-4008-A3D9-8DCDBC123EAA.jpeg

First one is Gross Vehicle weight = 2185kg

2nd is gross train weight = 3135 kg ( vehicle + trailer)

3rd is max front axle load = 1080 kg

4th is max rear axle load = 1230 kg.

Unfortunately there is no unladen weight listed. So from weight plate no way to know load capacity.

Have a look on reg doc.

From reg 

Mass in service = 1406 kg
Max permissable mass = 2185kg 

So difference = 779kg

So 779kg is your max load. aka payload.

I think Peugeot maybe used to allocate 70kg (driver) to the 779kg to give 850kg on the older models but I think driver is included in now Mass in Service. 

I am not 100% on the driver now being included in Mass in Service so to be on safe side use 779 kg as max payload. i.e. if you are driving that only gives you 709 kg if you weigh 70 kg as payload.

Hope that gives you a better idea anyway.

Listen mate thanks very much for taking time to help me out least I’ve got an idea now cheers ?
If you really want to do things properly. Go to a weigh bridge with a full fuel tank, empty van and you in and get them to measure the front then rear axle weights. Then you can use the max axle weights on plate to work out exactly where to mount your tank without overloading an axle. There was a thread on here a while ago about axle loads and calculating where to put your tank.

If you really want to do things properly. Go to a weigh bridge with a full fuel tank, empty van and you in and get them to measure the front then rear axle weights. Then you can use the max axle weights on plate to work out exactly where to mount your tank without overloading an axle. There was a thread on here a while ago about axle loads and calculating where to put your tank.
Might do that mate did Av it weighed few weeks back with everything in it inc me and tanks full and was 2200 complete weight but didn’t know to work it all out but after what you said in post sounds like will be around 795 which would be to much weight 

Might do that mate did Av it weighed few weeks back with everything in it inc me and tanks full and was 2200 complete weight but didn’t know to work it all out but after what you said in post sounds like will be around 795 which would be to much weight 
So about 15 kg over max. You should be able to manage to remove 15 kg without changing tanks even if you just put a mark on your tank a little way down from top. Then only top up to mark. That should reduce your load enough to be legal. If you want to calk 15 kg its 15 liters or 15,000 cubic centimeters so measure tank across top both ways in cm. Then multiply 2 measurements together and divide 15,000 by the result. That should give you a cm dimension. If you use that dimension to measure down from top and put a mark. Then only fill to mark and you should be fine unless you add a passenger or more kit.

Just out of curiosity what tank volume do you have?

So about 15 kg over max. You should be able to manage to remove 15 kg without changing tanks even if you just put a mark on your tank a little way down from top. Then only top up to mark. That should reduce your load enough to be legal. If you want to calk 15 kg its 15 liters or 15,000 cubic centimeters so measure tank across top both ways in cm. Then multiply 2 measurements together and divide 15,000 by the result. That should give you a cm dimension. If you use that dimension to measure down from top and put a mark. Then only fill to mark and you should be fine unless you add a passenger or more kit.

Just out of curiosity what tank volume do you have?
yeah think I will have to do that mate fill it less I have 500l tank 

Had exact same headache trying to figure out my van’s payload. A lot of conversations with Peugeot proved fruitless. I’m the end I did as above and went to a weigh bridge with a empty van but a full tank of diesel, and got the weight from them (with me) then subtracted that from the GVW to get my payload capacity. Was less than I needed it to be but that’s life, lol!

From reg 

Mass in service = 1406 kg
Max permissable mass = 2185kg 

So difference = 779kg

So 779kg is your max load. aka payload.

I think Peugeot maybe used to allocate 70kg (driver) to the 779kg to give 850kg on the older models but I think driver is included in now Mass in Service. 

I am not 100% on the driver now being included in Mass in Service so to be on safe side use 779 kg as max payload. i.e. if you are driving that only gives you 709 kg if you weigh 70 kg as payload.

Hope that gives you a better idea anyway.
On the early Berlingos and Partners they allowed 70kgs as a driver's weight.

I seem to think its now 50kgs. I remember asking myself how many driver's weigh 50kgs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Van's payload is when stripped down so the bulkhead, spare wheel etc reduces the actual payload.
Yes I do agree, though how much does a spare wheel way? When I got mine done it only had the spare and some ply lining, plus a full tank and me (100kg, lol!) But as you said the weights aren't 100% accurate, but always best to err on the side of caution. 

Was better with my vivaro never had to worry about it but lease was up so went back I should Av bought same size van instead of downsizing this time didn’t think it though properly maybe will fill tank to 400ltr instead of 500 

That's not 100% accurate unfortunately (Grippa do say so). According to it my van's payload is over 1000kg but its in fact around 900kg.
It has to be a real problem getting those figures. Both my old Citroen Relay and now this Peugeot Boxer are accurate. But then PSA didn't have a wide spread variety of vehicle variants.

In earlier days Ford Transits were a problem because they did so many models around say a T280. There is obviously a difference in payload between the swb std roof, medium roof and high roof. Then there was a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive variant and the choice between a 2.0tdci engine or a 2.2tdci. They even had the Tddi around at some point as well. All had different engine weights. A factory fit steel bulkhead would have reduced the payload a little more.

Although the weight difference between a passenger bench seat and a single seat wasn't much, it still was an either or option that would have impacted on the payload.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back