Boots and waterproofing

Martyn

O.K guys, who wears leather boots and what do you use to treat/waterproof them?

I find working with pure water just strips any proofing off them in no time.

I usually wear caterpillar boots(I have 2 pairs) with steel/composite toe caps.....I spray them with some bergaus waterproof spray occasionally.thats it.....very hardwearing boots...I've had them years....i used to buy bergaus goretex GTX boots but found they were usually letting in water after 12 months....i personally believe the quality has gone downhill so i won't buy them anymore....

No Risk, Armstrong Boots. Leather with cork insoles that take the shape of your foot. Cost about £60 from memory. Comfortable, warm, great grip. No sweat or water ingress. Last for years. Treat a couple of times a year with waterproof dubbin (a couple of pounds a tin from workwear and outdoor shops).

13 hours ago, Martyn said:

O.K guys, who wears leather boots and what do you use to treat/waterproof them?

I find working with pure water just strips any proofing off them in no time.

British army extreme cold weather boots and polish regularly. 

Perfectly warm feet.

Was good enough in the army so good enough for windows.

4 hours ago, dazmond said:

I usually wear caterpillar boots(I have 2 pairs) with steel/composite toe caps.....I spray them with some bergaus waterproof spray occasionally.thats it.....very hardwearing boots...I've had them years....i used to buy bergaus goretex GTX boots but found they were usually letting in water after 12 months....i personally believe the quality has gone downhill so i won't buy them anymore....

I've been wearing Berghaus Hillwalker II for about 18 months or so and they have been brilliant, in fact I have just ordered a new pair for the winter because these are getting a bit worn on the soles.

• Like 1
ShropsWindowCleaner

I wear Berghaus Gortex lined walking boots. Super comfy, warm, waterproof. They have personally lasted me a long time, if you look after them 👍🏻

22 hours ago, dazmond said:

I bought a pair of CAT from Screwfix earlier this year. Waterproof, toe caps, sound similar to yours. The sole wore away in 3 months. Took them back and complained and the guy said it was very unusual for them to have any issues but he had been getting a few returns or complaints recently. Maybe they changed the factory. Put me off buying any more though.

8 hours ago, P4dstar said:

I bought a pair of CAT from Screwfix earlier this year. Waterproof, toe caps, sound similar to yours. The sole wore away in 3 months. Took them back and complained and the guy said it was very unusual for them to have any issues but he had been getting a few returns or complaints recently. Maybe they changed the factory. Put me off buying any more though.

I bought a pair of Cats about three months ago, cost a hundred quid. Had no issue with the sole, best thing about the sole is that mud does not get trapped in the treads unlike Dewalt Boots. I have found though they are not very waterproof. I need to get what Dazmond uses to waterproof them.

After buying a new pair of goretex lined walking boots every year (either Salomon, Keen, Merrell etc) I've decided to try leather. The Goretex lining never seems to work for more than one winter.

Bought a leather pair of walking type boots, decent calf leather from Herring. Not cheap, but Goodyear welted Solvair sole that can be replaced when it wears out. Regular polish and Grainger's dubbing. Hope I won't have to buy another new pair of boots ever.