Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Boots and waterproofing

Martyn

O.K guys, who wears leather boots and what do you use to treat/waterproof them?

I find working with pure water just strips any proofing off them in no time.

I usually wear caterpillar boots(I have 2 pairs) with steel/composite toe caps.....I spray them with some bergaus waterproof spray occasionally.thats it.....very hardwearing boots...I've had them years....i used to buy bergaus goretex GTX boots but found they were usually letting in water after 12 months....i personally believe the quality has gone downhill so i won't buy them anymore....

No Risk, Armstrong Boots. Leather with cork insoles that take the shape of your foot. Cost about £60 from memory. Comfortable, warm, great grip. No sweat or water ingress. Last for years. Treat a couple of times a year with waterproof dubbin (a couple of pounds a tin from workwear and outdoor shops).

British army extreme cold weather boots and polish regularly. 

Perfectly warm feet.

Was good enough in the army so good enough for windows.

I usually wear caterpillar boots(I have 2 pairs) with steel/composite toe caps.....I spray them with some bergaus waterproof spray occasionally.thats it.....very hardwearing boots...I've had them years....i used to buy bergaus goretex GTX boots but found they were usually letting in water after 12 months....i personally believe the quality has gone downhill so i won't buy them anymore....
I've been wearing Berghaus Hillwalker II for about 18 months or so and they have been brilliant, in fact I have just ordered a new pair for the winter because these are getting a bit worn on the soles.

I bought a pair of CAT from Screwfix earlier this year. Waterproof, toe caps, sound similar to yours. The sole wore away in 3 months. Took them back and complained and the guy said it was very unusual for them to have any issues but he had been getting a few returns or complaints recently. Maybe they changed the factory. Put me off buying any more though.

I bought a pair of CAT from Screwfix earlier this year. Waterproof, toe caps, sound similar to yours. The sole wore away in 3 months. Took them back and complained and the guy said it was very unusual for them to have any issues but he had been getting a few returns or complaints recently. Maybe they changed the factory. Put me off buying any more though.
I bought a pair of Cats about three months ago, cost a hundred quid. Had no issue with the sole, best thing about the sole is that mud does not get trapped in the treads unlike Dewalt Boots. I have found though they are not very waterproof. I need to get what Dazmond uses to waterproof them.

After buying a new pair of goretex lined walking boots every year (either Salomon, Keen, Merrell etc) I've decided to try leather. The Goretex lining never seems to work for more than one winter.

Bought a leather pair of walking type boots, decent calf leather from Herring. Not cheap, but Goodyear welted Solvair sole that can be replaced when it wears out. Regular polish and Grainger's dubbing. Hope I won't have to buy another new pair of boots ever.

They look interesting are they comfy and did you order your normal size or different? 
Its like wearing slippers with a thick rubber sole. I'm a 10 but could have played the ugly sister and slipped into a 9. Used them in a bog area today where I always get soaked but not anymore, wish I bought them years ago. Well worth £40 but they are just cut down wellington boots which are very comfortable. 

For me its the finest former British army special issue Lowa GTX mountain boots. Pricey if you had to pay for them but warm goretex lined and like slippers 

Altberg defender boots, no goretex lining but the leathers waterproof all day long- I wax them with Leder Gris.

I have two pairs and swap over each day, that probably helps them stay dry

Last edited by a moderator:
After buying a new pair of goretex lined walking boots every year (either Salomon, Keen, Merrell etc) I've decided to try leather. The Goretex lining never seems to work for more than one winter.
I missed this hopefully you haven't bought Keen boots they were once good but now are ? they are uncomfortable to wear all day and let water in within weeks even if looked after, the Targhee II were the best boots, Merrell boots very comfy but ain't waterproof, I bought some Mammut boots yesterday for £105 off amazon and they are selling them for £160 on the Mammut website so I will see how I get on with these, 

The thing is with hiking boots they have to be exceptional to be any good to us as we are wearing them 6-7 hours a day everyday walking across wet lawns and walking on a lot of hard surfaces, so the wear rate for us is far greater than someone going hill walking 1-2 times a week or walking the dog, by comparison my wifes old Keen boots lasted her over 3 years before she binned them a few weeks ago as they split mine used to last me 6 months.

Thanks to the person who recommended Dirt Boots. Bought a pair of Lakeland Active for £40 at Amazon and they are fantastic but not steel toe capped.

View attachment 22061
I bought a pair of Agile ones last year and they are still good for work this year, saves messing on having to dry out and polish leather and they are a lot cheaper than a hiking boot, I think I need some memory foam insoles in mine now though.

Comfort is a key thing as I have problems with my feet, I am wearing Adidas Terrex goretex boots on dry days as I found out this week as when the outer fabric gets damp my feet are getting cold with my bad circulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back