Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

What is wrong with people!

HWCS

Went to a new customer yesterday a little bungalow with a woman and child and 2 dogs.

I cleaned the front all goo, while cleaning the back the 2 dogswere goung apesh1t.

The woman shouts out the back door "are you ok with dogs"

I reply

"To be fair im not, i can tolerate little ones but big dog scare the life out of me"

She says

"Im gonna let these out so they can meet you"

Before i could say please dont she let out a fkn great big german shepard and the bigfest labrador in history, the alsatian was going mental growling and snarling at me!!

She had to come out and drag it in.

Her response "ohhh well he's never done that before"

I told her Alsatians are gaurd dogs, hes never had a stranger in his garden before with a 6ft pole that could be construde as a weapon and a danger to his 'family'

Needless to say i will not be returning to her bungalow, i literallythought it was gonna rip me apart, i was about 2 seconds away from smashing it with the pole.

I squirt them with water if they are aggressive.......??....they could probably smell your fear......

TBH most of my customers dogs are spaniels and cockerpoos and very expensive Persian cats!so I dont have a problem.....

Years ago I'd climb up my ladder if a dog looked like it was gonna go for me...

Show no fear and it's fine.

The worst thing to do is panic and try to get away.

I got grief off a customer once for shouting very loudly at her mastiff to **** off.

Only way to get him to stop was to shout over it and make him know you're not intimidated.

Went to a new customer yesterday a little bungalow with a woman and child and 2 dogs.

I cleaned the front all goo, while cleaning the back the 2 dogswere goung apesh1t.

I reply

"To be fair im not, i can tolerate little ones but big dog scare the life out of me"

She says

Before i could say please dont she let out a fkn great big german shepard and the bigfest labrador in history, the alsatian was going mental growling and snarling at me!!

I told her Alsatians are gaurd dogs, hes never had a stranger in his garden before with a 6ft pole that could be construde as a weapon and a danger to his 'family'

Needless to say i will not be returning to her bungalow, i literallythought it was gonna rip me apart, i was about 2 seconds away from smashing it with the pole.
Never mind not going back dude i’d be kicking up a stink letting her know exactly what i think of her. That’s really disrespectful and dangerous man. Irresponsible as well. 
i once had a lady who let her  toddler out to run around the garden with a lightsaber Or something while i was up on the flat roof cleaning a roof lantern. 
I had the hose unravelled and the ladder up. What if hed tripped on the hose or sent the ladder crashing? Who would she be screaming at then. You’ve gotta wonder if some people are born with a brain. Feel sorry for the little uns when the parents are so air headed. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I reply

She says

I don't believe for one minute that her dog hasn't kicked off before some dog owners are plain stupid and shouldn't have dogs, I had an issue with a similar dog about 15 years ago I told the owner twice I didn't want the dog out as soon as she turned her back the dog would try and nip thankfully I made may way back up the ladder until one day it did nip me broke the skin but she was still adamant it was fine lone behold a few weeks later she admitted she was wrong and had been visited by animal behaviourist who said the dog had issues

Got a couple of customers with aggressive looking German shepherd dogs, but having one of my own I do not get phased....just ensure that the owners know I am there, so they can control their pets.

A friend of mine use to be a window cleaner in Suffolk and was cleaning the windows on a customers house he had two Rottweilers and Martin was cleaning the windows and one of the dogs bit him on his tackle and wouldn’t let go the customers wife had to prise it off him ????? ended up it hospital having an operation , it’s a hilarious story to hear now but wasn’t funny at the time . 

Dogs are pack animals and see their owners as the alpha of the pack and see their role as protecting them.

Several times I've had a big dog giving me grief.

I sit on the patio and give it the back of my hand to sniff.

Usually ends up with a friendly dog who runs to you for a lick.

If you show it you are scared it usually goes wrong.

You need to show you're not a threat but also won't take their nonsense.

They have to see you as no threat but also as bigger and badder than them and they are fine.

Had dogs all my life and helped a few friends train theirs as I understand how they think.

Never backed away from a dog except once when 2 were in a garden waiting for me to get down the ladder I climbed their gate with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have a lock up on a farm. One day drove up to owners cottage to pay rent and on arriving at the front door running round the corner came the jack russel that I had met on many occasions who was friendly and would often wander into my unit to say hello when I was working under a car. Then a huge Alsatian came bounding round corner. I expected it to be as friendly as the Jack russel. How wrong was I..... It jumped at me and put it's jaws round my arm!!! Wouldn't let go. I walked backwards with it attached to my arm all the way back to the car. I opened the car door with it still on my arm growling away. As soon as I sat in the car it released. Boy did I close the door quick. I didn't break the skin through my coat but boy was my arm bruised. I saw the farmer a week later and his response was 'Oh yes he is a bit territorial round the bungalow, he is an ex police attack dog!!! He wouldn't hurt you!!!' Then same dog walked into lockup and was licking my hand, farmer said ' see I said he was fine away from bungalow' !!! 

Needless to say I paid by bank transfer from then on. ?

Dogs are pack animals and see their owners as the alpa of the pack and see their role as protecting them.
Ours will turn from the softest lab to a demonic dog if my wife has him out and a lone male is walking towards them without a dog which is a bit odd in itself out in the countryside, although he puts himself above my wife so doubt wants to protect her if he senses someone is dodgy.

Ours will turn from the softest lab to a demonic dog if my wife has him out and a lone male is walking towards them without a dog which is a bit odd in itself out in the countryside, although he puts himself above my wife so doubt wants to protect her if he senses someone is dodgy.
That's the pack mentality. 

He is looking after another member of the pack.

Latest Posts

Back