Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Remote Flow Controllers, are they worth it?

MrAdam

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from a Gardner backpack to van system, do people think a remote flow controller is worth the extra? std controller and pump are around £200 and a remote controller with pump is £350ish so your looking around double the price, is it worth it and do you change the flow often via remote?

I current use Gardiner backpack on full power or at lease 80% from max.

Screen Shot 2020-09-15 at 15.01.59.png

First thing, don't buy on ebay, there are way too many cowboys on there. Lots of decent companies out there, quite often cheaper.

I believe you can get a Spring Controller (V11 lots of rebrands as spring dont sell to public, I think) and a sureflow 100psi pump and see how you get on. You can then add the remote control system at a later date and I doubt it would be more expensive.  I don't think you can get the radio system and a controller all built in but someone may know better.  

I use a remote controller with my GrippaTank set up.  It's great and convenient and whilst the pump turns off immediately, you will still get a flow of water with the residual water left in the hose for 5-10 seconds before the water actually stops flowing through the pole.

I sometimes wished I had a univalve instead!

I use a remote controller with my GrippaTank set up.  It's great and convenient and whilst the pump turns off immediately, you will still get a flow of water with the residual water left in the hose for 5-10 seconds before the water actually stops flowing through the pole.

I sometimes wished I had a univalve instead!
I have a new set of Grippatank remote controllers and new stronger motors and I thought they were a gimmick but I was surprised how good they are. Technology moves so fast now that its expensive to move with it.

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade from a Gardner backpack to van system, do people think a remote flow controller is worth the extra? std controller and pump are around £200 and a remote controller with pump is £350ish so your looking around double the price, is it worth it and do you change the flow often via remote?

I current use Gardiner backpack on full power or at lease 80% from max.

View attachment 21829
Absolutely no need for a remote controller....buy  a univalve instead.....instant water control at the tug of your pole hose...much more effective and much cheaper too....

I have a remote flow controller and prefer it to univalve, reason being pump is switched off so no back pressure in hose which was causing hose to twist and curl up

I have a remote flow controller and prefer it to univalve, reason being pump is switched off so no back pressure in hose which was causing hose to twist and curl up
It’s a good point. I have univalves in all 3 poles. Great when collapsing the poles etc.

I also have the one click and it’s great when you’re having a chat with a customer, because of the reason you said. It’s turned the pump completely off, so no back pressure and saved a bit of juice in the battery ?

The remotes I've used are brilliant and have always been worth the money. 

Firstly let me start by saying that the remote system works better than a univalve on a few counts. 

1. if your using hot water and you use a univale then the hose can twist and warp a lot due to the heat and pressure which isn't the best for manoeuvring the hose etc. 

2. Using a univalve means that your pump is constantly keeping the hose at the maximum pressure which is usually 100psi. That means that your fixtures and hose fittings are constantly at full pressure the released, full pressure then released which only adds to fatigue. 

3. Using a univalve means the pressure switch is working much much more than with a remote controller and replacing a pressure microswitch in the filed isn't pleasant Im sure. 

So the remote systems I have used is a one shot and have just upgraded to the wfp link manufactured by spring but sold by gardiner. 

Both have been awesome systems, I only upgraded from the one shot to the wfp link because of range. 

I use hot water and love gadgets, I wouldn't have a system without a remote, I say go for it. 

Each to their own but I've never had a major problem with hose twisting with hot water....also if your getting too much pressure build up you just need to lower your calibration settings on your controller a bit......a remote fob wouldn't work with my set up as I use a 9kw diesel  heater to heat my water....I'd be forever switching my heater off!?

Each to their own but I've never had a major problem with hose twisting with hot water....also if your getting too much pressure build up you just need to lower your calibration settings on your controller a bit......a remote fob wouldn't work with my set up as I use a 9kw diesel  heater to heat my water....I'd be forever switching my heater off!?
I can’t believe some people don’t use flow controllers mate. It would just be a simple case of sorting the CAL as you say. 

The remotes I've used are brilliant and have always been worth the money. 

Firstly let me start by saying that the remote system works better than a univalve on a few counts. 

1. if your using hot water and you use a univale then the hose can twist and warp a lot due to the heat and pressure which isn't the best for manoeuvring the hose etc. 

2. Using a univalve means that your pump is constantly keeping the hose at the maximum pressure which is usually 100psi. That means that your fixtures and hose fittings are constantly at full pressure the released, full pressure then released which only adds to fatigue. 

3. Using a univalve means the pressure switch is working much much more than with a remote controller and replacing a pressure microswitch in the filed isn't pleasant Im sure. 

So the remote systems I have used is a one shot and have just upgraded to the wfp link manufactured by spring but sold by gardiner. 

Both have been awesome systems, I only upgraded from the one shot to the wfp link because of range. 

I use hot water and love gadgets, I wouldn't have a system without a remote, I say go for it. 
Do you find the new remote significantly better than the previous model? ??‍?

Do you find the new remote significantly better than the previous model? ??‍?
Between the two systems I definitely prefer the newer one, I've not hit any range issues yet and have done all the houses I'd normally have range issues, overall definatley a great upgrade and would highly recommend it

like previously mentioned stay away from crappy Ebay. And find your local window cleaning supplier and either shop face to face or over the phone. Build a relationship with a valuable supplier and support their business, shop and staff with a job.

We've been through some awful times recently and these accomplished window cleaning supplier's will value you as a customer.

If you have a fault or warranty claim they will not dissappear off the face of the planet overnight.

If you want a remote control system you have a few options and limitations 

The Spring Europe Ltd One shot is a neat little system however van metal bodies houses and environmental interference will effect it's range.

The newer Spring Europe Ltd WiFi link does a great job and has great user friendly control features with an app you can customise.

You can also build your own standard remote however 60m is the most distance it will work at line of sight. 

The univalve works and doesn't require batteries and when used and installed correctly it won't let you down.

Watch squeaky clean Dave's video on YouTube with regards the the Spring WiFi link system 

Mr Ian Sheppard of Spring Europe Ltd is worth speaking to if you want help with wireless system 

Back