Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Some people !!!!

Pjj

Premium Member
Just had a walk up from a woman and she said can you clean my windows please , I said are you looking for a regular clean or a one off , she says oh regular , I then spot a sold sign in the front garden and smelt a rat so said we can do it next month but not today , she said oh that’s no good we  will have moved by then !!!! I said thought you wanted a regular clean ??? She walked away very red faced ???? some people !!!!!!!

Just had a walk up from a woman and she said can you clean my windows please , I said are you looking for a regular clean or a one off , she says oh regular , I then spot a sold sign in the front garden and smelt a rat so said we can do it next month but not today , she said oh that’s no good we  will have moved by then !!!! I said thought you wanted a regular clean ??? She walked away very red faced ???? some people !!!!!!!
A regular chancer. I would have charged her for a one off if I wasn't to busy. I'm getting customers relatives asking for their windows to be cleaned. I'm all over the place so I can usually fit them in, I suppose that's why its more expensive now. 

Shows why gotta charge extra 1st clean even in they not that dirty it just covers you in case they lieing.

Sad world

You’ve got to be careful with walk ups, we’ve had every trick in the book played on us.

One bloke walked up, asked for a clean said his wife was in to pay, give her a knock when your done...heard that one before, gave a knock before cleaning as it was suspect. Nobody home. Bye bye.

Another one came out & she asked for a clean front and back, seemed like a nice enough lady but when it came to paying no cash on her so text her the bank details on the doorstep, no payment made, chased it up, then stuck a notice on the upstairs window where they could never reach it to take it off, pay your window cleaning bill, still nothing. We later found out they were short term tenants who moved out not long after so clearly pulled a fast one.
another bloke wanted a first clean on a front of terrace. the windows were in a horrendous state, the amount of water i used on them honestly. It was like a black waterfall coming off those windows with all the soot. Text the bill, never paid. Chased it up a few weeks down the line and he was one of those that decided not to make a complaint even though he wasn't happy with the job. I said well you haven’t complained so how would i know if you wern’t happy? He said he still found dirt on the windows and that for what i did i charged too much. (£12 to remove years worth of crud sounds like a pretty good deal to me) but still it wasn’t good enough. 
All these houses are in the same area and there have been numerous others within a few miles that have been problematic on the same side of town.
I wont put up with it any longer. Cash up front or its just not happening. If they say they don’t carry cash then not my problem people can start carrying it or use somebody else. theres too many people with two faces nowadays, the generation that held good moral values are all dying off sadly. people moan they can’t get reliable window cleaners. Its a wonder why we bother half the time the way we get treated. 

You’ve got to be careful with walk ups, we’ve had every trick in the book played on us.

One bloke walked up, asked for a clean said his wife was in to pay, give her a knock when your done...heard that one before, gave a knock before cleaning as it was suspect. Nobody home. Bye bye.

Another one came out & she asked for a clean front and back, seemed like a nice enough lady but when it came to paying no cash on her so text her the bank details on the doorstep, no payment made, chased it up, then stuck a notice on the upstairs window where they could never reach it to take it off, pay your window cleaning bill, still nothing. We later found out they were short term tenants who moved out not long after so clearly pulled a fast one.
another bloke wanted a first clean on a front of terrace. the windows were in a horrendous state, the amount of water i used on them honestly. It was like a black waterfall coming off those windows with all the soot. Text the bill, never paid. Chased it up a few weeks down the line and he was one of those that decided not to make a complaint even though he wasn't happy with the job. I said well you haven’t complained so how would i know if you wern’t happy? He said he still found dirt on the windows and that for what i did i charged too much. (£12 to remove years worth of crud sounds like a pretty good deal to me) but still it wasn’t good enough. 
All these houses are in the same area and there have been numerous others within a few miles that have been problematic on the same side of town.
I wont put up with it any longer. Cash up front or its just not happening. If they say they don’t carry cash then not my problem people can start carrying it or use somebody else. theres too many people with two faces nowadays, the generation that held good moral values are all dying off sadly. people moan they can’t get reliable window cleaners. Its a wonder why we bother half the time the way we get treated. 
We used to have a small round on an old council estate which most of the tenants had purchased their houses from the council. There was still this one council owned house between two we cleaned. 

A new tenant had moved in with a number of children who didn't appear to have the same father. She approached me and told me to clean her windows. I gave her a price. That's fine she said, just charge the council. ? 

"Er, no. You have to pay."

"What, you mean the council won't pay. Well I'm not paying to have them cleaned."

And they never got cleaned. I expect she was the type who would have phoned the council and told them to come and clean her dirty windows. Every time I cleaned either side I just smiled to myself.

The neighbours didn't think much of her either.

Last edited by a moderator:

That’s when it’s handy to have a card machine in your pocket. I’ve got no cash, well just tap your card on here then. Paid. Got your money no chasing. Worth the surcharge for piece of mind. 

I used to take the hit on first cleans, charging the regular price if they wanted a regular clean. My thinking was that a built a good first impression and hopefully instigates a good worker/customer relationship  That was up until last month when a customer asked a week after her 3rd clean if I’d done the windows as I’d missed a bird imprint on her patio doors. 

I thought that sounds odd, I’m sure I wouldn’t have missed that and I know someone was in at the time as they had closed the bedroom window. As it had been a week, I asked if it was possible the bird print had been made after I’d left, she replied ‘no it’s been there for weeks!, I want to cancel my service, I’ve not been happy with the last few cleans’ 

I scrolled back through the text conversation and realised she was one of the customers I wouldn’t have usually taken on but decided to try as I wanted to build up a buffer to mitigate against customers I lose when the furlough scheme ends.

She’d asked over text for a price saying she wants a regular clean, I have her a price of £16, she was happy with that. A few hours later she text to say she wants the first clean done and would ‘have me back if she’s happy’. I said, ‘no problem, a one off clean would be £30’ suddenly she was keen on the regular clean again. 

In total I’d been to her 3 times. She’d lied about wanting a regular clean, she’d lied making out nobody was in, she’d lied about the bird imprint, being there 1 week and then next weeks; if there was one there, it was created after I’d cleaned the windows. 

I’ve had four complaints in four years, once when I tried to switch over to using the liquidator (fan lines) once when I’d changed to a new brush (the water was coming out at such force that it was hitting the window, running up into trickle vents that weren’t on the frame but directly above the windows and falling back out after I’d left) and unbeknownst to me, 2 were from her (she was definitely happy with the first clean)

So now everyone pays for a first clean, and then a regular price. 

That’s when it’s handy to have a card machine in your pocket. I’ve got no cash, well just tap your card on here then. Paid. Got your money no chasing. Worth the surcharge for piece of mind. 
Yeah all good if you can get a decent internet signal. I sacked it off however as they kept changing the regulations all the time and also if you need to give a refund if an error was made it would have been an absolute nightmare. 

I used to take the hit on first cleans, charging the regular price if they wanted a regular clean. My thinking was that a built a good first impression and hopefully instigates a good worker/customer relationship  That was up until last month when a customer asked a week after her 3rd clean if I’d done the windows as I’d missed a bird imprint on her patio doors. 

I thought that sounds odd, I’m sure I wouldn’t have missed that and I know someone was in at the time as they had closed the bedroom window. As it had been a week, I asked if it was possible the bird print had been made after I’d left, she replied ‘no it’s been there for weeks!, I want to cancel my service, I’ve not been happy with the last few cleans’ 

I scrolled back through the text conversation and realised she was one of the customers I wouldn’t have usually taken on but decided to try as I wanted to build up a buffer to mitigate against customers I lose when the furlough scheme ends.

She’d asked over text for a price saying she wants a regular clean, I have her a price of £16, she was happy with that. A few hours later she text to say she wants the first clean done and would ‘have me back if she’s happy’. I said, ‘no problem, a one off clean would be £30’ suddenly she was keen on the regular clean again. 

In total I’d been to her 3 times. She’d lied about wanting a regular clean, she’d lied making out nobody was in, she’d lied about the bird imprint, being there 1 week and then next weeks; if there was one there, it was created after I’d cleaned the windows. 

I’ve had four complaints in four years, once when I tried to switch over to using the liquidator (fan lines) once when I’d changed to a new brush (the water was coming out at such force that it was hitting the window, running up into trickle vents that weren’t on the frame but directly above the windows and falling back out after I’d left) and unbeknownst to me, 2 were from her (she was definitely happy with the first clean)

So now everyone pays for a first clean, and then a regular price. 
Yeah totally agree mate otherwise theres no money coming in to the industry long term, youve got people leaving them donkeys years to get bogging and expecting to pay the same price as a regular 6 week customer, then they sack you off again and in 5 years time they’ll get some Other unfortunate to clean years worth of crud. Its a way of doing it on the cheap and long term will ruin this industry as so many people are at it now. Even if you charged 50 quid for a first clean it still doesn't come close to what regulars pay over the long run so why people moan or think they’re being overcharged i dont know. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't difficult to tell when another race is involved.
?

I don’t believe I’m reading this.

You’re calling into question my mother’s integrity, because I have a half sister?

Shame on you.

I wonder how many on this site have a half brother or sister?

If a woman came to this site, to ask questions (it happens) and her children had more than one father, how would she feel?

?

You’re calling into question my mother’s integrity, because I have a half sister?

Shame on you.

If a woman came to this site, to ask questions (it happens) and her children had more than one father, how would she feel?
I think you've read more into this then @sprucehas actually said. The only thing he's questioned is the upkeep of the windows, he never questioned her integrity. You thought it was judgmental and he replied with his reasoning.  

I think you've read more into this then @sprucehas actually said. The only thing he's questioned is the upkeep of the windows, he never questioned her integrity. You thought it was judgmental and he replied with his reasoning.  
Perhaps you could tell me what you think he’s implying, by the statement?

To deem it worthy of mentioning, he must have thought it relevant?

?

Shame on you.

stop being a snowflake,get over yourself.......from my experience most single mothers with a few kids are bad payers when it comes to paying for window cleaning.....and most asians ive come across want their windows cleaning for next to nothing.....my missus just flatly refuses to deal with most of them in her business because they are a pain in the ****..... they ALWAYS trying to get even more money knocked off even when their getting a good deal......

stop being a snowflake,get over yourself.......from my experience most single mothers with a few kids are bad payers when it comes to paying for window cleaning.....and most asians ive come across want their windows cleaning for next to nothing.....my missus just flatly refuses to deal with most of them in her business because they are a pain in the ****..... they ALWAYS trying to get even more money knocked off even when their getting a good deal......
My experience, with very few exceptions is the same, on both counts. 

Back