Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Generator Questions

Supremely

Just got a new Genie, 2.7kva Honda, just a couple of questions:-

1 . Cant see it in the manual but anyone know the how much needed to fill the tank plus I read somewhere its best before use to fill run for 20 hours or  so and then drain is that true? 

2. If true how much petrol would I need to complete that? 

3. I may need to run an extension lead at times I trust this is ok and if so would it just be an ordinary type of line you would use like powering tools etc?

Lastly the manual stresses do not use in wet conditions obviously to avoid electric shock, but are there ways around that and still stay safe?

I have discovered answers on extension leads etc and with the fuel suck it and see I suppose, just not sure about the oil would be grateful for any insight on this

Quite often they have a sight glass to see the oil level. No idea how much oil you need though.

My guess on the 20 hrs is that after you have used it for about 20 hrs change the oil. Reason being is that after manufacture the parts need to bed into one another and will shed small metal fragments. The oil holds these so changing after 20hrs use is good to clean it out.

I don't think they mean let it run doing nothing for 20 hrs to run it in, that would be very bad for the engine. To run in you need small load at first then varying load but not up to max before it has a few hrs on if you get the idea? Load is wattage, ie dont run it at 2.7kva straight away, give it a few hrs on lower load.

Ah brilliant thanks Ched, I thought that might be the case re running it that long, there isnt a view glass so will have to guess and top up. When you say don't run it at full at the start do you know how do to control that?  

Ah brilliant thanks Ched, I thought that might be the case re running it that long, there isnt a view glass so will have to guess and top up. When you say don't run it at full at the start do you know how do to control that?  
I would try and find out how much oil or if the filler cap has a level mark on it. Overfilling can cause issues as can under filling.

As for 'Full' I mean don't try and pull full power out of it first off. i.e. run something small like an electric drill or something a few hundred watts from it for a little while, then something say 1kw then after it has a couple of hrs on it it should be fine to run towards max power output (I guess for a gutter vac - maybe 1 motor to start?)  

Basically the more load you pull from the geny the more throttle it will give it's self to maintain speed and the more pressure it puts on piston rings etc and you want them to 'bed in' gently to get most life . It's high throttle long duration that should be avoided till it's 'run in'.

Thanks again Ched, yes I'll take it steady with the oil checking each time with the dipstick.

I see what you mean re power I'll try out small stuff first thanks for that tip, incidentally I thought I'd got a handle on externsion leads not so sure now, do you know what I'd need if I want to keep he genie stationary linking a fly lead in the 230V blue side and then running the lead with the gutter vac as I work? 

The thing with extension leads is ideally you need one with thick copper conductors. If you can get one with 2.5mm conductors, it's the copper that is expensive so some companies skimp on it. 1.5mm is OK if you keep to say 15m. Basically the thinner the cable the more resistance it has and this causes heat and a lower voltage at the end. So the thicker the copper the better. 

One MEGGA important thing is never never use an extension cable coiled up. The magnetic fields and lack of air flow cause the cable to heat up and may cause a fire!!

I would guess the blue socket on the geny is a 16 amp and you need one like this 16 amp plug to go on an extension cable. Alternatively you can get adapters like this 16A plug to 13A socket this is only 1.5mm which isn't idea but it gives you an idea. 

OR

Alternatively you could get a 16amp extension cable like this 25m 16 amp extension cable with 2.5mm conductors £30 Then you would need this adapter 16A plug to 13A socket While this is a good extension cable you can't use it when using a custys socket unless you get another adapter like this 13A plug to 16A socket. Again it's only 1.5mm cable but at least it gives you an idea. Arctic cable stays more flexible in cold temps so great for outdoor winter work.

OR

You could also buy the 25m 16 amp extension cable and change the plug on the gutter vac to this 16 A plug. Then you just need the 13A plug to 16A socket to hook up to custy supply.

You should be able to see if it is a 16A socket by close inspection of the socket on the geny as that should say in small writing 16 Amp.

Hope that isn't too much info.

Thanks again Ched never too much info ?

Ok I think I get it so far, both the yellow 115v and blue 230v connections on the genie are 16A and I already have the 16A Plug to 13A socket lead so am I right in thinking I just need to get 16 AMP to 16 AMP Extension Lead 2.5mm Arctic Blue Cable 240V to allow me to do what I want? As for hooking up to the custy's elec to change the vac  to a 16A is it as simple as just changing the fuse? 

Thanks again Ched never too much info ?

Ok I think I get it so far, both the yellow 115v and blue 230v connections on the genie are 16A and I already have the 16A Plug to 13A socket lead so am I right in thinking I just need to get 16 AMP to 16 AMP Extension Lead 2.5mm Arctic Blue Cable 240V to allow me to do what I want? As for hooking up to the custy's elec to change the vac  to a 16A is it as simple as just changing the fuse? 
Yes 16A to 16A extension 2.5mm arctic is perfect.

Changing from the vac 13a plug to a 16 amp plug is a bit more complex than changing a fuse. I am sure there will be a youtube vid on fitting a 16 amp plug. Thing to remember is twist the copper conductors together (not all 3 each individual one ? ) so when you put it in the hole ALL strands are in the hole before you tighten. Also when the conductor is in the hole you shouldn't have any copper on show, the insulation should butt up to the hole. 

ok great I've just noticed that its a moulded plug will I be able to do it?
You will have to cut it off to be able to fit a 16A plug.  The 16 amp plugs/sockets are better than 13 amp ones for outdoor stuff as they are normally IP rated (normally IP44 so splash proof).

Have a look at youtube I am sure there will be a vid explaining. There are a few there, just checked. One thing when you cut through the outer blue cable dont nick the inner insulation around any of the 3 cores. If you do then start again by stripping the outer blue again. Any nicks in the insulation can cause shorts. 

Remember 240v is dangerous and can kill!!!!

Understood Ched thanks, I see if I can find some videos but as I'm not that confident with electrics and I decide not to change it to 16A as an alternative if I get the Fly Lead Converter 13A Plug to 16A Socket that will allow me to plug into custy electric that way is that right?

Understood Ched thanks, I see if I can find some videos but as I'm not that confident with electrics and I decide not to change it to 16A as an alternative if I get the Fly Lead Converter 13A Plug to 16A Socket that will allow me to plug into custy electric that way is that right?
yes to 13 a plug to 16a socket will allow you to plug into custy supply.

Always best to be cautious with 240v. If not confident or knowledgable then stay safe. 

Great, thanks for all your help today Ched, hopefully Q's weren't too basic but feeling more educated about things now just put into practice. Have a great weekend 

No problem at all mate. Happy to be able to share info. I was originally trained as electronics engineer but not been employed in that industry for about 20 years ? .

Have a great weekend. 

Just got a new Genie, 2.7kva Honda, just a couple of questions:-

1 . Cant see it in the manual but anyone know the how much needed to fill the tank plus I read somewhere its best before use to fill run for 20 hours or  so and then drain is that true? 

2. If true how much petrol would I need to complete that? 

3. I may need to run an extension lead at times I trust this is ok and if so would it just be an ordinary type of line you would use like powering tools etc?

Lastly the manual stresses do not use in wet conditions obviously to avoid electric shock, but are there ways around that and still stay safe?
With a brand new generator, alway break it in as many known brands such as Honda, Stephill, Briggs Stratton, Paramac all recommended.

Fill with petrol and add oil to the crank case that's SAE 30 oil

Most generators upto 3400 watts will use on average 0.5L to fill 

Run the generator for the recommended 20 hours and then pump or drain out the oil and refill with new.

check the drained out oil for metal particles or pieces of metal.

Most generators upto 6kva from my personal experience use on average 0.5 litres per kWh

When buying a generator stay away from ebay amazon brands that sound to good to be true such as Swiss power, Böhmer, Power King and the stupid red Facebook marketplace acclaimed 8kva 3 phase generators with SILENT on them that the gypsy's are selling by the box load

If you want a video on generator electrics or plug wiring leave a comment and I'll post a training how to video 

Thanks APW for detailed info on that much appreciated, yes I bought the Honda genie from Stephill so hopefully should be good.

Any pointers on vids to see if I could do it would be helpful much obliged.

Thanks APW for detailed info on that much appreciated, yes I bought the Honda genie from Stephill so hopefully should be good.

what specific points on generators would you like to know about 

this is a recent new product review I did and the last part covers fuelling filling with oil and care of a generator which may be of help 

Ok so got it all prepared, on start up it did it on the first pull, but what seems like excessive smoke started coming out and the unit was moving around quite a bit that didnt seem right to me so I checked the oil seems I might have overfilled slightly so drained it slightly started it up again moved around just a s much and no difference in smoke, is this normal I mean I did expect some vibration but not moving about the whole floor like that. Is what would happen on first use?

Latest Posts

Back