Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Fried circuit board

KBWCS

Hi folks,

can anyone tell me where I can get my hands on the circuit board and pump rate switch in the picture, can’t get a hold of the guy who installed it and fried one yesterday, luckily he had given me a spare when he fitted the system so I’m running on that for now. thanksimage.jpeg

Thanks for that??think I’ll look to upgrade a bit 
That one says it's suitable for 20A so should be fine on most pumps. One thing to note is that there is no dead head detection on basic pwm controllers. So you are relying on the pumps micro switch to shut off the pump when you close a univalve or tap on your pole.  It's the lack of dead head detection that can cause excess current to be pulled through the controller so an upgrade to 20A might help. 

That one says it's suitable for 20A so should be fine on most pumps. One thing to note is that there is no dead head detection on basic pwm controllers. So you are relying on the pumps micro switch to shut off the pump when you close a univalve or tap on your pole.  It's the lack of dead head detection that can cause excess current to be pulled through the controller so an upgrade to 20A might help. 
The switching current should never exceed 7 or 8 amps though.

I was still using my original PWM controller that came with my first Pure Freedom trolley that was fitted with a 100psi Sureflo up until recently, and that controller was only rated at 7amps max. Only stopped using it because the bolt that held it on rotted in the box and I broke the box removing it to repaint the trolley.

The switching current should never exceed 7 or 8 amps though.

I was still using my original PWM controller that came with my first Pure Freedom trolley that was fitted with a 100psi Sureflo up until recently, and that controller was only rated at 7amps max. Only stopped using it because the bolt that held it on rotted in the box and I broke the box removing it to repaint the trolley.
You are quite right 7 - 8 amps should be fine. Pure Freedom have a good reputation for their trolleys. Only reason I suggested a higher rated pwm controller was that cheap controllers might scrimp on components and 10 amp might be a bit of an over rating or very very short spike. The 20 Amp ones should be able to take more 'abuse' without going pop.

Looking at OP image looks more like water damage though but for the price difference between a 10 amp and 20 you might as well have that bit more headroom ? 

You are quite right 7 - 8 amps should be fine. Pure Freedom have a good reputation for their trolleys. Only reason I suggested a higher rated pwm controller was that cheap controllers might scrimp on components and 10 amp might be a bit of an over rating or very very short spike. The 20 Amp ones should be able to take more 'abuse' without going pop.

Looking at OP image looks more like water damage though but for the price difference between a 10 amp and 20 you might as well have that bit more headroom ? 
Your right, hose inside the pump box sprung a leak 

You’re right.
I’m currently using one of the very same controllers as the OP on one of my PF trolleys, but it’s controlling a 5lpm 70psi backpack style pump and the system is also wired up with a 40amp relay to carry the switching current so I don’t anticipate problems. However, my other PF trolley, which is fitted with the same pump, is using a 20amp controller for the reasons you explain.
I don’t use the controllers with the CAL feature on my trolleys due to the test cycle creating infuriating delays whilst working with relatively short lengths of PU pole hose, which is my preferred way of working.

I'm glad I designed and built my own trolley system.

Never had to replace anything 

Never have air locks 

Don't get calibration or dead end issues 

The battery is now over a year old 

Don't need a trolley to move it because it's built into a trolley 

Plus it not yellow and manky blue 

I'm glad I designed and built my own trolley system.

Never had to replace anything 

Never have air locks 

Don't get calibration or dead end issues 

The battery is now over a year old 

Don't need a trolley to move it because it's built into a trolley 

Plus it not yellow and manky blue 
What’s the point in building one when you can buy one that does all that without the faff of building? 

What’s the point in building one when you can buy one that does all that without the faff of building? 
You are every manufacturer's dream. ? Buy it and when it stops working throw it away and buy another. 

Some of us just like to make our own as it gives us a sense of achievement. If we do buy something we ask ourselves how we could improve it. It's just the way we are.

On another post @Apw1210 mentioned that he was suffering from PTSD. This form of traumatic stress just bubbles under the surface. It never goes away, it's always there. Having a hobby that brings him satisfaction is one way that helps to keep his mind focused on other things.

We are all different. In the ideal world people who lack some ability will excel in another. When each person puts their skills together as a group a good team is formed.

You are every manufacturer's dream. ? Buy it and when it stops working throw it away and buy another. 

Some of us just like to make our own as it gives us a sense of achievement. If we do buy something we ask ourselves how we could improve it. It's just the way we are.

On another post @Apw1210 mentioned that he was suffering from PTSD. This form of traumatic stress just bubbles under the surface. It never goes away, it's always there. Having a hobby that brings him satisfaction is one way that helps to keep his mind focused on other things.

We are all different. In the ideal world people who lack some ability will excel in another. When each person puts their skills together as a group a good team is formed.
Thank you @spruce The most rewarding fact is when customers and and other windows cleaner's ask "where did you get your trolley?? " I proudly say I BUILT THAT" and you see their initial look of NO WAY.. 

The other fact is I know of 14 other trolleys that have been built from my plans and parts list, oh plus an additional 8 that I built and sold 

Polish_20200922_112716157.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's called not getting ripped off. Of the shelve parts. Better quality control. Its stronger. 
FairPlay if it’s also your hobby and it keeps your mental health at bay, respect? Ive currently got a Gardiner backpack plus trolley that’s still going strong after 3 years of daily use that cost me under £150. For the money that it’s earned it’s money well spent. For me building my own would just be unpaid work when they are cheap enough to start with. Van mounts on the other hand are a different story as building your own can save you thousands of ££.

Thank you @spruce The most rewarding fact is when customers and and other windows cleaner's ask "where did you get your trolley?? " I proudly say I BUILT THAT" and you see their initial look of NO WAY.. 

The other fact is I know of 14 other trolleys that have been built from my plans and parts list, oh plus an additional 8 that I built and sold 

View attachment 21877
Out of interest how much does a trolley build cost you in parts and man hours?

Out of interest how much does a trolley build cost you in parts and man hours?
Way under £200 ? now at a total build time of 10 hours 

Purchased all the components needed in mass bulk 

Made a CNC placement cutting jig for top panel cutouts and side of enclosure fixings and connectors 

FairPlay if it’s also your hobby and it keeps your mental health at bay, respect? Ive currently got a Gardiner backpack plus trolley that’s still going strong after 3 years of daily use that cost me under £150. For the money that it’s earned it’s money well spent. For me building my own would just be unpaid work when they are cheap enough to start with. Van mounts on the other hand are a different story as building your own can save you thousands of ££.
Thanks mate,

yeah I've built many van mounted systems for myself and others. Massive savings to be had and again knowledge of how it works and how it's fixed without the need of a phone calls or trips to builders  / installers 

Back