Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Rival tricks to get customers

johnny bravo

Had a customer tell me he had a chap canvassing.     He says he asked if i clean the vents on top of window frame.     He then began wiping his finger along the vents on ground floor windows. to show the home owner if there was any **** on them.     I had just cleaned them so i showed my customer to see they have all been cleaned.

Luckily enough i had cleaned all window and frame.      

Id never dream of doing a stunt like that.     They want them cleaned or they dont.      No dirty tricks like that.

The only customers i loose are the ones who seem to think they do not need to pay .     even after 3/5 cleans.  I get sick of dropping payment details to them, yet still not paying.

Then they will say   ive got someone else  as they thought i had packed in.      I tell them its because they never pain their outstanding bill.      No more than 2 cleans now unpaid, let someone else have them

Last edited by a moderator:
thats why my customer told me,  he was shocked at his tactics.    made no difference,   simply told him  he wont change.. he did not like his attitude to try and get work.

I'm not sure they will get very far with those tactics,  most customers will think there being to cocky and wont like it!
Those type of sales tactics are popular with door to door salesmen in the United States.

The idea is to create a bit of drama to gain the customers attention.

Don't see the issue in all honesty as it ain't a trick just an observation but he should maybe get his eyesight tested before using this method, if some one different to you wasn't cleaning doing a decent job of the frames then it would be a good sales pitch, I know some one who does this but he actually looks to see if they are dirty as he approaches the house.

Those type of sales tactics are popular with door to door salesmen in the United States.

The idea is to create a bit of drama to gain the customers attention.
It would be a NO from me.

I don't want someone I don't even know telling me if I'm happy with the services I'm receiving!   It's not just about the standard of window cleaning, People do business with people they like and get on with.

That is a desperate and needy way to get customers but each to there own, but theres over 15 new window cleaning start ups across Redcar/Middlesbrough/Stockton in the past 6 months, crazy !!

This will certainly be a new start up looking to add numbers to his new business, door knocking is a must for any new start up, i havent door knocked in 5 years and i feel blessed for it ? 

People will be trying anything they can to get there foot in the door now , This is when your establishment comes in to play, the women has decided to stay with you cos your established and u are doing a good job etc , now if she was unhappy with your service she would of went with him.. no doubt.

U always have to be on top of your game in this business, once u let your guard down... BOOM the house will be taken by another window cleaner.

Sometimes competition from newbie window cleaners is good, keeps u focused and on your toes ?  I lost a few customers due to newbie window cleaners, one long term customer said they wanted to give the new guy a chance as he is just starting out lol... i replaced her within the hour with 4 new customers ? ?

Another reason its always good to get on well with customers and have a little chat. I know many wont have time for this but I manage ok. Makes it less likely you'd get dumped for a johny come lately.

I don't want someone I don't even know telling me if I'm happy with the services I'm receiving!   It's not just about the standard of window cleaning, People do business with people they like and get on with.
This is true as it doesn't fit in with British culture. Its different in America as the home owner/tenant has grown accustomed to it.

The Americans have a totally different advertising culture. Just think of the Coke and Pepsi adverts that are allowed to slag each other's products off.

Advertisers in Britain aren't allowed to do that. The furthest they can go is comparative advertising but it has to be like for like products if they comparing their product to another similar product from the competition. The safest way is for example to compare a new Volvo's 0 - 60 mph when compared to the previous model Volvo's 0 - 60 mph figures.

In South Africa even comparative advertising wasn't allowed at one time.

People buy people we all know this, but if their service is shoddy and they only turn up when they feel like it will wear thin and they will be dropped and the custy will opt for a more professional service no matter how chatty and friendly someone may be.

I wouldn't want the type of person who would give up on a fair and regular cleaner that does a good job, to hire someone with those antics on my books. Loyalty is a big deal to me.

People buy people we all know this, but if their service is shoddy and they only turn up when they feel like it will wear thin and they will be dropped and the custy will opt for a more professional service no matter how chatty and friendly someone may be.
Of course, being professional is key! 

I also really think good communication is what lets a lot of window cleaners down I'm afraid. 

Of course, being professional is key! 

I also really think good communication is what lets a lot of window cleaners down I'm afraid. 

Biggest three things to be a good window cleaner.

1. Genuine

2. Reliable

3. Do a good job
I agree with both of you if we are all doing this then then no matter what some one knocking doors says to our custys they won't jump ship, so all of us been all of the above have nothing to worry about.

Back