Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Newbie ,looking at getting started

Ian Docksey

Hi all, I am looking at getting a van and kitting it with a wfp system. Looking around internet, so much to choose from. I have a simple water filling point near where I live(Horsham) so that's handy I believe. Any advice/thoughts will be gratefully accepted.  Been looking at the Ecostream system ! Anyone use this or thoughts on it?  Looking forward to any replys, thanks in advance,  

Hi all, I am looking at getting a van and kitting it with a wfp system. Looking around internet, so much to choose from. I have a simple water filling point near where I live(Horsham) so that's handy I believe. Any advice/thoughts will be gratefully accepted.  Been looking at the Ecostream system ! Anyone use this or thoughts on it?  Looking forward to any replys, thanks in advance,  
Hey mate,

First question is, are you already a window cleaner or looking to get started? Cause that will dramatically effect what you go for. No point dropping loads of cash if you're not sure you can stomach it. 

As far as those systems go, stick the name into the search bar and see what comes up. I haven't used one myself, I have a Pure2O system, but someone might. Though if its a new venture you're probably best trying to keep costs down at first. Let us know where your at business wise then we can help some more ?

Hey mate,

First question is, are you already a window cleaner or looking to get started? Cause that will dramatically effect what you go for. No point dropping loads of cash if you're not sure you can stomach it. 

As far as those systems go, stick the name into the search bar and see what comes up. I haven't used one myself, I have a Pure2O system, but someone might. Though if its a new venture you're probably best trying to keep costs down at first. Let us know where your at business wise then we can help some more ?
Hi mate thanks for the reply. No I haven't started yet, looking into it all. But really interested in what I'm seeing and reading.

Hi mate thanks for the reply. No I haven't started yet, looking into it all. But really interested in what I'm seeing and reading.
It really depends how much your willing to put into it.

Like most on here, I started with a Gardiner backpack and CLX pole. Got some flyers made and away I went. Canvassed, cleaned, canvassed. Wondered how anyone managed more than 4 jobs in a day. Cleaned some more. Then as it grew I got a van and, to start, put a DIY system in it (not something I would recommend but completely understand why folk do it, I did it). 

if you have access to water, and you have a vehicle, your probably best going down the backpack route to start. It will be a pain at times but it will let you see if you can do it without too much outlay, circa £250. Then once you feel you can you can look into the next step. Others may disagree with me but it’s probably the best way to start without costing too much. 

Everything you need to get started - https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk

If you need help with all the options just ask, but also have a search as it’s been covered many times. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It really depends how much your willing to put into it.

Like most on here, I started with a Gardiner backpack and CLX pole. Got some flyers made and away I went. Canvassed, cleaned, canvassed. Wondered how anyone managed more than 4 jobs in a day. Cleaned some more. Then as it grew I got a van and, to start, put a DIY system in it (not something I would recommend but completely understand why folk do it, I did it). 

if you have access to water, and you have a vehicle, your probably best going down the backpack route to start. It will be a pain at times but it will let you see if you can do it without too much outlay, circa £250. Then once you feel you can you can look into the next step. Others may disagree with me but it’s probably the best way to start without costing too much. 

Everything you need to get started - https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk

If you need help with all the options just ask, but also have a search as it’s been covered many times. 
Thanks mate. Will have a search round on here. 

I'll second the backpack route. I bought one about five years ago and I still use them. I did start with barrels in an estate car, now it's a van with a tank and submersible pump that fills the backpacks in seconds. I've considered systems many times but just can't see the benefits on a domestic round.

If I was doing lots of massive, commercial stuff it would be a must but the backpack with a very long pole hose is so fast to get to work and chuck back in the van I reckon it's a no brained.

My only regret is not getting a bigger van with a bigger tank but the long wheelbase, high roof Connect I did get is easier to park so swings and roundabouts I guess.

I'll second the backpack route. I bought one about five years ago and I still use them. I did start with barrels in an estate car, now it's a van with a tank and submersible pump that fills the backpacks in seconds. I've considered systems many times but just can't see the benefits on a domestic round.

If I was doing lots of massive, commercial stuff it would be a must but the backpack with a very long pole hose is so fast to get to work and chuck back in the van I reckon it's a no brained.

My only regret is not getting a bigger van with a bigger tank but the long wheelbase, high roof Connect I did get is easier to park so swings and roundabouts I guess.
So do you still trad and just use the backpack for tops or awkward windows? Do you have an RO system set up at home to fill your tank? 

Wondered how anyone managed more than 4 jobs in a day.
Only been at it 2 months myself now but what Alejandro says here is the biggest issue I faced initially.

Unless you're exceptionally lucky most of your first cleans won't have been cleaned in years and it can take a long time, lots of effort and pure water to do each first clean.

Once you get to repeat visits it's so much easier. You'll be mixing maybe 2-3 first cleans in alongside your regulars. You just need to get past that initial hump.

Get yourself a quality flyer designed/printed and deliver it in your neighborhood. I'm always being told by new clients they haven't seen their previous window cleaner in years and nobody else has bothered to advertise.

I also still get contacted from flyers I put out 2 months ago so don't get too discouraged if you get a low initial response. People tend to hold on to flyers for services they're considering.

Only been at it 2 months myself now but what Alejandro says here is the biggest issue I faced initially.

Unless you're exceptionally lucky most of your first cleans won't have been cleaned in years and it can take a long time, lots of effort and pure water to do each first clean.

Once you get to repeat visits it's so much easier. You'll be mixing maybe 2-3 first cleans in alongside your regulars. You just need to get past that initial hump.

Get yourself a quality flyer designed/printed and deliver it in your neighborhood. I'm always being told by new clients they haven't seen their previous window cleaner in years and nobody else has bothered to advertise.

I also still get contacted from flyers I put out 2 months ago so don't get too discouraged if you get a low initial response. People tend to hold on to flyers for services they're considering.
Thanks for the reply and encouraging words. I am working on getting some flyers done. Will also set up a Facebook page. 

Just going through redundancy, so waiting for my ££ to buy a van and get kitted out.  So mid November I should be ready to go. Really looking forward to working for myself. 

Thanks for the reply and encouraging words. I am working on getting some flyers done. Will also set up a Facebook page. 

Just going through redundancy, so waiting for my ££ to buy a van and get kitted out.  So mid November I should be ready to go. Really looking forward to working for myself. 
You are picking the hardest time to start mid November, but if you can get it going then you will make it.

The response when dropping leaflets in the winter months is worst many people will keep and ring in the spring.  

Many guys love the Facebook route me personally complete waste of my time ( too many time wasters ) 

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
You are picking the hardest time to start mid November, but if you can get it going then you will make it.

The response when dropping leaflets in the winter months is worst many people will keep and ring in the spring.  

Many guys love the Facebook route me personal complete waste of my time ( too many time wasters ) 

Good luck
Yep I understand about timing. But it's when my ££ come through from redundancy.  So no choice really mate. Rather start up and give it a good go than being on the dole.  I looked into this around 10 years ago. But didnt have the funds. Hopefully this redundancy money can really be put to good use. I've seen a company on ebay that kit Van's out(which are priced in my ballpark) Bailey's based in Sheffield.  (Any advice on these will be good). And a few other bits I'm looking into. I think I'd rather get what I think I'm going to need for the future now. Than just buy to get started. If that makes sense. 

Yep I understand about timing. But it's when my ££ come through from redundancy.  So no choice really mate. Rather start up and give it a good go than being on the dole.  I looked into this around 10 years ago. But didnt have the funds. Hopefully this redundancy money can really be put to good use. I've seen a company on ebay that kit Van's out(which are priced in my ballpark) Bailey's based in Sheffield.  (Any advice on these will be good). And a few other bits I'm looking into. I think I'd rather get what I think I'm going to need for the future now. Than just buy to get started. If that makes sense. 
350L Framed Budget DI System

Product code: framed budget 350L

£971.25 £1,165.50 (inc. VAT)

350 litre baffled tank

Frame - Zinc plated steel
Pre drilled for your convenience

18ft Hammerhead Fibre glass water fed pole with Water Genie Dual Trim lightweight 10" brush head

25L DI Vessel Filled with Premium mixed bed DI resin

100m 8mm Minibore Hose and Metal Hose Reel with professional tap

100psi Water Genie pump
100PSI Pump suitable for a 12v DC supply,
5l/min Open Flow - suitable for single pole operation.

New Water Genie Controller
The most advanced water flow controller on the market! The new V11 version offers auto calibration of the dead end detection, improved pump drive electronics and auto compensation.
Digital flow 0-99
Battery voltage indicator
Dead end calibration,
Dead end detection .
Use with or without pressure switch and with any kind of hose (mini, micro or standard bore)
Suitable for all delivery pumps.
The unit is supplied with a kit of wires, connectors, fuse, fuse holder and instructions

Handheld Digital TDS Meter

Pipes and Fittings

Will do the job as you grow buy a good pole or now if funds available

350L Framed Budget DI System

Product code: framed budget 350L

£971.25 £1,165.50 (inc. VAT)

350 litre baffled tank

Frame - Zinc plated steel
Pre drilled for your convenience

18ft Hammerhead Fibre glass water fed pole with Water Genie Dual Trim lightweight 10" brush head

25L DI Vessel Filled with Premium mixed bed DI resin

100m 8mm Minibore Hose and Metal Hose Reel with professional tap

100psi Water Genie pump
100PSI Pump suitable for a 12v DC supply,
5l/min Open Flow - suitable for single pole operation.

New Water Genie Controller
The most advanced water flow controller on the market! The new V11 version offers auto calibration of the dead end detection, improved pump drive electronics and auto compensation.
Digital flow 0-99
Battery voltage indicator
Dead end calibration,
Dead end detection .
Use with or without pressure switch and with any kind of hose (mini, micro or standard bore)
Suitable for all delivery pumps.
The unit is supplied with a kit of wires, connectors, fuse, fuse holder and instructions

Handheld Digital TDS Meter

Pipes and Fittings

Will do the job as you grow buy a good pole or now if funds available
Yeah been looking at that. Am still considering buying a van. Then getting that and fitting it. 

Just the ones from Baileys are fitted in van on purchase.  Got a bit of time to make my mind up. 

Good to have the advice from you. Cheers 

Not knocking Bailey as they are one of the few companies that sell vans ready to go.

I have noticed a few things on their installs that may not be perfect.  It's little things like the filter going between the tank and pump is sometimes in an awkward place, it would just have needed to be located next to the pump for easy access. Their photos are quite often side on ebay and there are even photos of installs with metal shavings still next to bolts. 

A personal one but most times the mount the reel so you need to wind with left hand. Which seems wrong for me. 

They don't seem to mention how big the tanks are, I can't imagine they are all the same size. They don't mention service history, warranty etc

I feel they are not quite professional enough - not sure there is anyone else better at the costs though?

Not knocking Bailey as they are one of the few companies that sell vans ready to go.

I have noticed a few things on their installs that may not be perfect.  It's little things like the filter going between the tank and pump is sometimes in an awkward place, it would just have needed to be located next to the pump for easy access. Their photos are quite often side on ebay and there are even photos of installs with metal shavings still next to bolts. 

A personal one but most times the mount the reel so you need to wind with left hand. Which seems wrong for me. 

They don't seem to mention how big the tanks are, I can't imagine they are all the same size. They don't mention service history, warranty etc

I feel they are not quite professional enough - not sure there is anyone else better at the costs though?
Thanks , see I wouldn't notice things like the build, or know about filter position etc.  

@Ian Docksey one thing hasn't been covered which is tap water tds as you are in Sussex which I believe is a very hard water area so you will need a suitable R/O which will be big chunk of money to get a decent R/O 

Don't do what a whole load of people do and get all giddy about having a van mounted system and think to themselves they will be able to build a business fast, yes it's possible but not doable by everyone some areas can be saturated with cleaners, get a back pack and clx pole as recommended above, I used a wfp trolley with ten 25 litre containers for around 3 years and managed just fine, this way you won't be blowing £1,000's of your redundancy money on a system and van that isn't always needed starting out. 

@Ian Docksey one thing hasn't been covered which is tap water tds as you are in Sussex which I believe is a very hard water area so you will need a suitable R/O which will be big chunk of money to get a decent R/O 

Don't do what a whole load of people do and get all giddy about having a van mounted system and think to themselves they will be able to build a business fast, yes it's possible but not doable by everyone some areas can be saturated with cleaners, get a back pack and clx pole as recommended above, I used a wfp trolley with ten 25 litre containers for around 3 years and managed just fine, this way you won't be blowing £1,000's of your redundancy money on a system and van that isn't always needed starting out. 
Thanks for the reply and advice.  We have a simple water filling point nearby.  Have loads going round n round in me head on which way to go. I need a vehicle for definite.  

Thanks for the reply and advice.  We have a simple water filling point nearby.  Have loads going round n round in me head on which way to go. I need a vehicle for definite.  
Do you have a car mate? Cause you can just start with that. 

Also, one other thing you will need before you even touch your first window, PL Insurance. Shop around, but a number on here use Gleaming. They cover you if you damage the glass itself (extremely unlikely but better having the security) and they let you pay it monthly without interest, so it’s not a chuck of cash in one go.

Others have had success with the likes of Simply Business, etc. 

https://www.gleaminginsurance.co.uk

Do you have a car mate? Cause you can just start with that. 

Also, one other thing you will need before you even touch your first window, PL Insurance. Shop around, but a number on here use Gleaming. They cover you if you damage the glass itself (extremely unlikely but better having the security) and they let you pay it monthly without interest, so it’s not a chuck of cash in one go.

Others have had success with the likes of Simply Business, etc. 

https://www.gleaminginsurance.co.uk
Yes got a car mate,  which the Mrs. Uses also. So really need to get a van.

Yes got a car mate,  which the Mrs. Uses also. So really need to get a van.
Good news, the Mrs wont be needing the car. So just working out Gardiner backpack and a few other bits to get started. Looking at saving a lot from going down the van route. Will hopefully get going and upgrade further down the line.

Latest Posts

Back