Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

New pressure washing business - Please advise!

Jason2020

Hi everyone! 

Im looking into starting a new local pressure washing company for driveways I just want to check I have everything in order before I buy any products
Im super new to this so Im expecting to have things wrong at this point if you could please advise that would be great!

Equipment -
Parker Petrol Pressure Washer - 208cc Engine - 3100 PSI
Whirlaway 20 inch surface cleaner 
Sodium Hypo 20 litres
Kiln dried sand 25KG
Sealant 5 litres ( is there a particular brand everyone recommends? Different sealant for different driveways etc ? )
Sprayer for sealant ( holds 12 litres ) I understand this needs to be cleaned ASAP after application to avoid sticking
Jerry can & petrol
Garden hose
Broom
Measuring tape
Gloves / Mask / Goggles 
Outside tap connecter 
A few other small things like bin bags etc 

Am I missing anything?

Im currently spending time learning about different types of brick/patios, is there a huge difference when pressure washing or is the general idea the same? 

Even if you can help with just a couple of points that would be appreciated! 

Kind regards,

Jason

Just a quick one. The pressure washer you listed seems to be only rated at 11 liters a min. I very much doubt that will run a 20" Whirlaway. It might struggle with an 18" even if jetted correctly. Also on the pressure washers manufacturers page it says that machine is not suitable for commercial use. So it's not going to last long.

You will probably also need a catch tank. You are only allowed to pull 12 liters a min from mains water supply, so a bigger pressure washer will need to suck water from a tank (wheely bin or something like that) and use customers tap to continuously fill tank. 

You also don't have any other nozzles listed, so how are you doing the corners?

It might be best to speak to someone like Rutland pumps and explain what you want to do. I guess you will have to up your pump budget to around £2,000. 

You didn't mention insurance or transport.

Think you need to do some research.

If you want to do this professionally then an absolute minimum of 15 ltr per muinit is needed preferably 21 ltr per muinit : as for  sealing drives be vary careful it’s a minefield and best kept away from as it’s very time consuming and costly to put problems right , we don’t offer sealing only clean and re sand . Don’t want to put you off but this isn’t the best time of year to be starting this type of business , speak to ben at Rutland  pumps I have had all my kit off him for years found him very helpful ,no hard sell and his prices are reasonable 

Thank you for your reply I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!

I should have mentioned I have a very small van for my current job ( personal trainer ) and insurance/public liability I've been researching, I want myself & clients completely covered if anything was to go wrong.
I would like a vivaro size van with my own tank.

Im currently on a budget of around £1000 but any profits will be reinvested into better equipment.

Would this - Honda Gp 200 Petrol Pressure Washer 3000 psi 10 litres per Minute
( Although 10 litres per minute ) Along with a 16 inch Whirlaway surface cleaner be a better combination for the time being? 

Kind regards,

Jason

Hey PJJ thank you for your reply! I was typing my above reply and then have seen yours regarding the 15 ltrs per minute.

Would that have to be run off a tank and couldn't be from clients outside taps? ( 12ltrs per min max as mentioned above )

Thank you I will search him up and message! 

Kind regards,

Jay

15lpm and you would need to use a wheelie bin for supply. I would buy a 250bar at 15lpm if I was starting up from Rutland Pumps. I have a 21lpm at 250bar PW in my van all year round now as I clean bins each week. I get all my stuff from Ben at Rutland and never had a problem. The season begins in March and ends around now so its a good time to get all your gear in place for next year but don't leave water in your PW pump or it will break when the water freezes in winter. ?

Hey PJJ thank you for your reply! I was typing my above reply and then have seen yours regarding the 15 ltrs per minute.

Would that have to be run off a tank and couldn't be from clients outside taps? ( 12ltrs per min max as mentioned above )

Thank you I will search him up and message! 

Kind regards,

Jay
We use a 240 ltr buffer tank ( wheely bin ) as our water source from the customers tap , on most jobs it’s ok but can run low if very poor pressure, you could use a tank in your van and again fill from the customers tap . I doubt ant 10 ltr machine will run a flat surface cleaner , 10 ltr per muinit is not enough for a professional guy it will be very slow doing anything , I don’t want to be negative but you would be better off waiting until funds allow and get a bigger machine . We have a Briggs and Stratton v twin  21 ltr 250-275 bar I think it is ?... Scottish has one basically the same as mine he bought his after I recommend it . 

AFE54F94-C73D-4348-A55B-F99F71237CE5.jpeg

Hi everyone! 

Im looking into starting a new local pressure washing company for driveways I just want to check I have everything in order before I buy any products
Im super new to this so Im expecting to have things wrong at this point if you could please advise that would be great!

Equipment -
Parker Petrol Pressure Washer - 208cc Engine - 3100 PSI
Whirlaway 20 inch surface cleaner 
Sodium Hypo 20 litres
Kiln dried sand 25KG
Sealant 5 litres ( is there a particular brand everyone recommends? Different sealant for different driveways etc ? )
Sprayer for sealant ( holds 12 litres ) I understand this needs to be cleaned ASAP after application to avoid sticking
Jerry can & petrol
Garden hose
Broom
Measuring tape
Gloves / Mask / Goggles 
Outside tap connecter 
A few other small things like bin bags etc 

Am I missing anything?

Im currently spending time learning about different types of brick/patios, is there a huge difference when pressure washing or is the general idea the same? 

Even if you can help with just a couple of points that would be appreciated! 

Kind regards,

Jason
When you say parker pressure washer alarm bells ring in my head, is that the generic upright one from China for around £200? 

Thank you for your reply I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!

I should have mentioned I have a very small van for my current job ( personal trainer ) and insurance/public liability I've been researching, I want myself & clients completely covered if anything was to go wrong.
I would like a vivaro size van with my own tank.

Im currently on a budget of around £1000 but any profits will be reinvested into better equipment.

Would this - Honda Gp 200 Petrol Pressure Washer 3000 psi 10 litres per Minute
( Although 10 litres per minute ) Along with a 16 inch Whirlaway surface cleaner be a better combination for the time being? 

Kind regards,

Jason

This is a cheaper alternative to a surface cleaner if you have a tiny budget and works with the listed parker pressure washer 

APW - Yes sir you are correct ha! 

the third option I have been looking at is from SkyVac 

https://www.spinaclean.com/patio-driveway-cleaning-equipment/slip-stream-pressure-washer-packages/honda-slip-stream-pro-12-with-18-surface-cleaner

This is more commercial it states ( a lot pricier but I can finance - Not ideal but its fine ) 

Im just a little worried now with the LPM as even this is only 12! 

I will message Ben as a couple of members have mentioned but is this a viable option or am I being stupid, Like I say just starting out small and local any profits will be reinvested.

Kind regards,

Jay

Regardless of the top quality interpump pressure pump its only a tiny 5.5hp rated engine 

I've got fire fighting pumps that push 550lpm through a 2" fire hose and engine thats 7.5hp

You can buy what you like but its workflow profit and coverage that will see you well.

You'll need a water tight wheelie bin or or 200ltr barrel for water as mains water pressure and limited flow usage will not produce the standards and productivity you need as business 

Have you any local chaps offering commercial pressure washing near you that you can talk to. Check out their equipment and maybe some work experience with 

Try Rutland pumps or ac pressure washers get 21lpm if running fsc 20in u probly just get away with a 16in if running 15lpm 

Hey everyone!

Just a quick update, I purchased the hongda slipstream pro 20 with the 20 inch surface cleaner!

I had a practise run on my parents patio which came up better than I thought ( I tried to attach pictures but cant seem to! )

I then did their driveway which joins onto 3 other property driveways so the mess was a little more than ideal but I got the job done im just waiting until the weather clears up a little to resand and get the final pictures! 

I started social media pages and have 2 jobs booked in which im excited about!

thank you everyone for your assistance and advice I really appreciate it! 

Kind regards,

Jason

Hey everyone!

Just a quick update, I purchased the hongda slipstream pro 20 with the 20 inch surface cleaner!

I had a practise run on my parents patio which came up better than I thought ( I tried to attach pictures but cant seem to! )

I then did their driveway which joins onto 3 other property driveways so the mess was a little more than ideal but I got the job done im just waiting until the weather clears up a little to resand and get the final pictures! 

I started social media pages and have 2 jobs booked in which im excited about!

thank you everyone for your assistance and advice I really appreciate it! 

Kind regards,

Jason
Evening Jason, hope you're well.

It's relatively easy to upload images.

You should scroll down to add files then it opens your phones gallery. Depending on image size select it and add. Then press send 

20201101_012140.jpg

R.E. Sealers - I completely understand the reservations people have about sealing and the many potential pitfalls, but done right it needn't be difficult and there is money to be made. Rule no. 1 is always read and follow manufacturers instructions (except perhaps coverage rates which can be OTT).

But before you start sealing you need to fully understand the products , what they claim to do, how they actually perform in reality and what is the customer expecting by sealing their paving? You need to understand what sealers can and can't do and their limitations. The most common reason for wanting a sealer is to stop weeds - it won't.
Personally I don't try and sell sealing but if a customer wants to know more I'm more than happy to discuss the options and let them decide. The time I think a good case can be made for sealer is for sand stabilisation after resanding block paving and customers always want it sanded and sealed (in my experience, e.g I've probably done at least 20 block paving jobs so far this summer and all have been resand/seal).

As for different types of finish - clear / gloss / wet look / colour enhancer etc - now there is a potential minefield and be very very careful before recommending products.
E.G. customer wants gloss finish on block paving and you decide on something cheap n cheerful on Ebay like Thomsons. Apply 2 coats and guess what? It looks nothing like the matketing pics! Perhaps a slight sheen at best but certainly not a high shine gloss finish the customer wanted. Now they could quite justifiably refuse to pay you cos its not as promised and not the look they wanted. So what do you do now?.....Order another product and slap that on a few days later when it turns up? NO!! Definitely not!!
The sealer you applied will stop it penetrating so that all has to be stripped off first - a very expensive, very time consuming process.
And if you've been bold enough (or stupid) to recommend a product then its down to you how it turns out and to get it sorted at your expense. Well, that'd be the attitude of some people and fair enough, it is down to you. You're the 'professional.'

What do you know about the different types of stone used for patios and can you recognise them and what do you know about their suitability for sealing? Sandstone, limestone, York stone, granite, slate.....this isn't a low baller and should be an easy one to answer......customer with tired looking faded grey/blue limestone wants black limestone. Is that something you could advise them on and chat about? Is it doable? What sealer would you recommend and why? How much product would be needed at approximately what cost? ....or do you need to go away and Google it first to find wtf it's all about?
They are all questions you should be able to answer on the spot and the whole subject is something you should know about in depth and be able to discuss there and then. Well that's my view anyway but bear in mind you're supposed to be the expert and are offering a professional service so to be credible you've got to know what you're talking about.
So other surfaces you've got block / brick pavers (clay or concrete and does it matter?), cocrete slabs, resin bound, resin bonded, porcelain is becoming more popular, tarmac etc etc.
Efflorescence? What do you know about it? What causes it, how to remove it, can you seal it? Does sealing prevent it....lots and lots of questions on that little subject.

I've looked at jobs before where the builder has suggested they seal a newly laid stone patio with efflorescence and it just won't go away. Nor will it now they've sealed it in without stripping first.
I recently did a job for a customer with a resin bound pool area she wanted cleaned and sealed. I told her you don't seal resin. It's designed to be highly porous and great for drainage in wet areas like swimming pool surrounds. Her husband had separately fot a quote from a firm only to happy to clean and seal it and she took great delight telling him what an idiot he was cos you don't seal resin bound and just as well she spoke to someone who "knew what they're talking about."
But someone would've quite happily ruined their indoor pool area for them.
So anyway, I apologise for how long and boring this reply is but actually I've only scratched the surface in terms of the potential complications there with sealing unless you know your subject. If you do its surprisingly straightforward and uncomplicated but you can't just wake up one morning thinking 'right, I now provide professional driveway cleaning and sealing services' without research, time, effort and studying. Take your time and you'll start buildng your knowledge and understanding of it. It's not rocket science, but like anything , you can't expect to become an overnight expert. I've been doing ths stuff for years now and am still learning

Jason, I think you are ready to start your pressure washing business. You have everything for this. However, I would still turn to more experienced people who already own such a business, and they will be able to advise you on managing such a business. I am sure that you may be missing something because you do not have experience managing a pressure washing business, and I think you do not know about many little things. I hope my advice will help you at least a little in implementing your plans and opening your business. Still, I think that there are guys more experienced than me in this area on this forum.

Latest Posts

Back