Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Sole trader question

Hyzer373

I am a sole trader window cleaner, something I’m wondering is I have a friend who wanted to volunteer in helping me on few days now and again just to get him out the house & get a bit of experience, I’m holding off atm as I’m not sure I’m allowed to have someone come work with me as a sole trader, he doesn’t want money as my rounds small & he’s ok for money, he just wants to come out for a laugh, catch up & see how it all works, would I be ok to do this? Would I need to change my insurance or anything? Have any of you had a helper on odd occasions? 
Obviously might not be able to anyways if restrictions increase with Covid. 
Just wondering where I stand legally etc lol I’m a very careful person.

Sole trader isn't the issue. It's you who are trading not your friend. Insurance might be interesting. i.e. on one count what happens if he drops a pole on a car and damages it, would your insurance cover it? I doubt it. Secondly if he fell or tripped while helping you he could sue you! Do you have cover for that?

OK so I am playing devil's advocate a bit but something that started out as a bit of 'fun'  could turn into a can of worms for you.

I am not sure there is anything legally stopping you as you don't legally require insurance but I would speak to your insurance company and ask if you were to have a non paid volunteer along for a few days to see how you work could that be added to your policy. You might find they are helpful.

Sole trader isn't the issue. It's you who are trading not your friend. Insurance might be interesting. i.e. on one count what happens if he drops a pole on a car and damages it, would your insurance cover it? I doubt it. Secondly if he fell or tripped while helping you he could sue you! Do you have cover for that?

OK so I am playing devil's advocate a bit but something that started out as a bit of 'fun'  could turn into a can of worms for you.

I am not sure there is anything legally stopping you as you don't legally require insurance but I would speak to your insurance company and ask if you were to have a non paid volunteer along for a few days to see how you work could that be added to your policy. You might find they are helpful.
Hi mate thanks for reply. I’d have no concerns of him suing me, he’s a very close friend since childhood and a good lad, honestly would have no concerns with that. 
Hold on are you saying window cleaners don’t require insurance legally? I am insured but thought you have to be to work...or have I misread what you meant.

Yeah sounds like I’d need to speak to insurance then, was more wondering am I ok to have a volunteer as i am a sole trader, like I don’t need to change nothing with my business or hmrc etc Just like to be sure. 

You will need Labour only insurance, aka employers liability. He might be your best friend but if he breaks his back doing work for you he will sue you.
Ok mate, so as-long as I get that employers liability insurance (hope it’s not much dearer) I am legally fine to have him work for me helping out?

Ok mate, so as-long as I get that employers liability insurance (hope it’s not much dearer) I am legally fine to have him work for me helping out?
Speak to your insurance for sure and explain the situation, but most likely yes you will need EL insurance. 

And as Part Timer said, get a written and signed agreement that is clear he is a volunteer. 

Hold on are you saying window cleaners don’t require insurance legally? I am insured but thought you have to be to work...or have I misread what you meant.
As far as I am aware there is no legal requirement to have insurance to be a window cleaner in England! I believe in Scotland you have to be licences and as such you have to show insurance.

While it may not be a legal requirement you would be stupid not to have insurance. 

Speak to your insurer, no harm in asking.

As a sole trader you don't legally need PL insurance, however if you damage something or hurt someone you are liable. So the risk of losing everything for the sake of £100 is crazy.

If you employ someone, or instruct them, then legally you have to have employers liability insurance.

As far as I am aware there is no legal requirement to have insurance to be a window cleaner in England! I believe in Scotland you have to be licences and as such you have to show insurance.

While it may not be a legal requirement you would be stupid not to have insurance. 

Speak to your insurer, no harm in asking.
a basic public liability policy with for example 1 million pound cover will save your bacon if you have an incident while working like striking your wfp on a 100.000v HV line on the pole outside a house. The line blows the transformer off the pole and it drops 20 feet and kills mavis in her mobility scooter for example. 

Its a piece of mind in my opinion 

Would you not have van insurance? 

I am a sole trader window cleaner, something I’m wondering is I have a friend who wanted to volunteer in helping me on few days now and again just to get him out the house & get a bit of experience, I’m holding off atm as I’m not sure I’m allowed to have someone come work with me as a sole trader, he doesn’t want money as my rounds small & he’s ok for money, he just wants to come out for a laugh, catch up & see how it all works, would I be ok to do this? Would I need to change my insurance or anything? Have any of you had a helper on odd occasions? 
Obviously might not be able to anyways if restrictions increase with Covid. 
Just wondering where I stand legally etc lol I’m a very careful person.
keep your business and your friendship with your mate separate is my advice.....he ll only slow you down...your going to work to earn a living for yourself and your family,not a few drinks down the pub or a game of golf........

Back