Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Zero ladder work.

CMcB

Anybody here moved from using ladders to 0 ladder work, as in you don't take ladders to work with you? 

If so, how did it go building your round? 

Thinking about it as insurance costs for using ladders are really high here in Ireland. 

Anybody here moved from using ladders to 0 ladder work, as in you don't take ladders to work with you? 

Thinking about it as insurance costs for using ladders are really high here in Ireland. 
I never did ladder work, and my entire round was built as WFP. Though I’m in Scotland, not Ireland, but can for sure be done!

I use a ladder at home but never for work. Sod that. However my brother used to window clean 8 feet up on aluminium quads 

I set up with a vow never to use ladders.  Unfortunately I was turning down too many jobs that required a ladder to reach certain windows, eg, those above a single storey extension and those with a lantern style skylight windows.  So I use a ladder occasionally for access.

I nearly never clean from a ladder, but still need them for access occasionally. I have had a little telescopic that did everything for me and fitted inside the van, but when the catches got worn and it needed replacing i picked a 3.0m double that does everything i need.

I used ladders for window cleaning for thirty years till I made the switch to wfp in 2007.  I was so familiar with them that I used to do things with them I shudder at now and would never have recommended anyone else to do.

After I made the switch, I only had three jobs on my entire round that called for me to use ladders. But as I became less familiar with them, I also began to feel less safe on them so as those jobs dropped off I made the choice never to take on work that required them. So now they are completely redundant as far as work goes and I don't even keep them on the vehicle. I just use a 5 step single ladder for assisting with reaching over gates to unlock/unbolt them.

I used ladders for window cleaning for thirty years till I made the switch to wfp in 2007.  I was so familiar with them that I used to do things with them I shudder at now and would never have recommended anyone else to do.

After I made the switch, I only had three jobs on my entire round that called for me to use ladders. But as I became less familiar with them, I also began to feel less safe on them so as those jobs dropped off I made the choice never to take on work that required them. So now they are completely redundant as far as work goes and I don't even keep them on the vehicle. I just use a 5 step single ladder for assisting with reaching over gates to unlock/unbolt them.
Good on you. I’m probs about 15 years behind you and although most of my work is now done with the pole I do stretch my legs for the odd occasional climb which I don’t mind but they are becoming less and less. 

I started out doing a mixture but have phased ladder work out. I have only 1 ladder job and that is for a lovely old couple who don’t like WFP for some reason. I haven’t let them go because they always give my kids money for Xmas and chocolates and cups of tea every visit so I’ve become attached to them. I do use the ladder for the occasional gutter job but I am seriously considering ditching gutter work as well. Why risk with ladders when you can earn good money with your feel on the terra firma?

Same for me I’ve got 400 customers and only 3 require a ladder and that’s to access a flat roof. Can’t wait to get rid of them and become ladder free.

Need to make it my goal! start by not taking on jobs that require ladders, then cut down on the ones I have. I don't have many, some weeks I dont use the ladder at all but still, it would be nice to not use one at all!

I still ladder up for first cleans. Even after multiple washes with the wfp there's usually stuck on bits of cack (glue, paint, baked on spider sacks etc). 

Back