Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van insurance quotes

I am with Aplan but they had to find me another insurer because the age of my van. I think it was £330 a year now which is great considering I have a 650l tank. I think I will be forced to buy a newer van in the future.

Currently with Admiral for my van insurance. Tank declared, and tool cover up to 2k. Think its less than £400 from what I remember.

was paying around £350 per year with a plan and just got a quote from them for a newer van i had just bought they quoted me nearly £900 using the same tank etc, i oviously questioned that price and they said my newer van had a bigger engine (150cc larger), was bigger than my vivaro-actually its 50mm smaller in height, then he said ah well its a newer van isn't it?, i said that your valueing my newer van at £2500 more than my vivaro-still a big price hike, they came back a day later with quotes of around £550, i eventually went with carole nash (for insurance?) they weren't the cheapest but came in at £248 with tank declared as i phoned them up to confirm this before paying the premium so its wise to shop around a bit, i know you have to balance service against budget but the price difference for me was the deciding factor

was paying around £350 per year with a plan and just got a quote from them for a newer van i had just bought they quoted me nearly £900 using the same tank etc, i oviously questioned that price and they said my newer van had a bigger engine (150cc larger), was bigger than my vivaro-actually its 50mm smaller in height, then he said ah well its a newer van isn't it?, i said that your valueing my newer van at £2500 more than my vivaro-still a big price hike, they came back a day later with quotes of around £550, i eventually went with carole nash (for insurance?) they weren't the cheapest but came in at £248 with tank declared as i phoned them up to confirm this before paying the premium so its wise to shop around a bit, i know you have to balance service against budget but the price difference for me was the deciding factor
I've been with A plan for years and the level of cover is really good but I'm paying nearly £800 a year with 10 years no claims on a transit custom.I appreciate the van is more expensive than my previous but my car which is more is around at least half what I'm paying on a van with A plan.

Currently with Admiral for my van insurance. Tank declared, and tool cover up to 2k. Think its less than £400 from what I remember.
Been with admiral a couple of years now.

Only a bipper but declared it has a tank in it and I pay just under 300 quid with my wife as a named driver and full business use for her business also if she's driving it.

Dave B said:
Been with admiral a couple of years now.

Only a bipper but declared it has a tank in it and I pay just under 300 quid with my wife as a named driver and full business use for her business also if she's driving it.
That is with over 20 years no claims though.

I just denied a second van to be renewed via A-Plan.

They were quoting just over 1k for a 2 year old dispatch with tank. It was 700 odd when brand new. Only added a named drivers over 25  

Aviva with all exact same info are quoting around 700.

I cancelled a policy with them around a year ago because they hiked the price when I changed a van because one died. New van was a brand new expert which they were quoting around 20-30% more over what I paid months before with the dispatch when new. They didn’t really listen when I explained the logic seemed off. They just said it was because the van was more valuable than the one it was replacing although comparing the two vehicles across the two polices from new were such a variance given price is the same and all other info was correct. Seemed like a hidden premium for changing. 

I would really recommend you try aviva. They will even give a shorter term if you have more than one vehicle so you can then renew multiple vehicles together with further discount.

Vehicle insurance as a whole is a scam, I don't know why we can't have a standardised government sector run insurance hub such as DVLA and everyone pays on a licence held based criteria.

Standard transparent pricing which ensures that everyone has cover which is honest & affordable.

Too many brokers which are taking their cut.

Make third party fire & theft obsolete 

And have bracketed price banding 

Or do what royal mail does and have no insurance. 

They agree to pay all claims from their own kitty.

Helps that they're government owned lol.

I thought they were privatised a good while ago.

Most councils don't have insurance either, that's on their vehicles and buildings!!!! Same with most large companies, I think that if you have £1 million capital then you don't need vehicle insurance - there is more too it but it's something like having enough capital to pay any claim then you don't legally need an underwriter providing the policy.

I used to work for a gov agency and we used hire cars if necessary and the hire docs used to state no insurance just agency cover. One of my bosses wrote a car off and the cost of the hire car came out of dept budget!!! He explained that it was because the agency didn't have insurance as they had enough money to cover any issues.

If you think about it any large company having over a 100 vehicles the insurance costs would be huge compared to the number of accidents. 

Most big companies self insure and dont have any insurance not sure what the criteria is but obviously a lot of money in the bank ????

Have you seen all the smashed up bent and damaged Ford transits, Peugeot partners they have. Most in my town are worse than banger racing cars 

All these claims that big companies don't have to insure their vehicles surprises me. Insurance claims can run into the multi millions. Would like to see a link that shows they're exempted 
It’s not just vehicle insurance , a lot of very large companies are allowed to self insure for  all aspects of insurance including fire , public liability , etc as far as Ime aware national trust are one we do work for them and that’s what I was told by the area manager , I believe it’s more common than is realised as I said earlier I don’t know what the process is to qualify but think it must have tk do with the amount of money they have in the bank , it’s also very common with large charities like oxfam, save the children etc .  

It’s not just vehicle insurance , a lot of very large companies are allowed to self insure for  all aspects of insurance including fire , public liability , etc as far as Ime aware national trust are one we do work for them and that’s what I was told by the area manager , I believe it’s more common than is realised as I said earlier I don’t know what the process is to qualify but think it must have tk do with the amount of money they have in the bank , it’s also very common with large charities like oxfam, save the children etc .  
Can you imagine worst case scenario. A car driven uninsured crashed into an area that causes multiple deaths and a fire that destroys a building causing 100's of deaths. The likes of BP insure their tankers and rigs, we, and every company, have to have liability insurance yet don't need car insurance!

Councils insure vehicles so would still like a link showing big business are exempt. Lloyd's Of London wouldn't exist if well financed companies didn't have to insure.

I do know for a fact it's true for royal mail but also they have a certain amount of money put aside just for vehicle claims.

I was under the impression they were the only ones in civvy street who work like that.

Can you imagine worst case scenario. A car driven uninsured crashed into an area that causes multiple deaths and a fire that destroys a building causing 100's of deaths. The likes of BP insure their tankers and rigs, we, and every company, have to have liability insurance yet don't need car insurance!

Councils insure vehicles so would still like a link showing big business are exempt. Lloyd's Of London wouldn't exist if well financed companies didn't have to insure.

All these claims that big companies don't have to insure their vehicles surprises me. Insurance claims can run into the multi millions. Would like to see a link that shows they're exempted 
I believe it's called 'Self-insurance' and they have to pay a £500,000 gov bond to be allowed to do it. As well as the premiums the company also saves on Insurance Premium tax (10%). So they balance their risk cost vs premium. Some info here: https://www.businesscar.co.uk/analysis/2010/insurance-10-fleet-questions-answered

I could understand if they had a policy that didn't cover the first £1m of claims but nowadays the compensation numbers paid out in certain cases could easily exceed that amount in one go. Businesses have lost billions because they didn't have insurance to cover interruption, due to Corona. It just seems very false economy to me if this is the case. 

I could understand if they had a policy that didn't cover the first £1m of claims but nowadays the compensation numbers paid out in certain cases could easily exceed that amount in one go. Businesses have lost billions because they didn't have insurance to cover interruption, due to Corona. It just seems very false economy to me if this is the case. 
I guess the accountants work out what is cheaper and the risk level they are willing to accept. 

It does seem mad to me too not to have insurance. As you say there is a liability of huge payouts.

Just found this by searching.

Section 143 of the Road Traffic Act specifies that a policy of motor insurance covering Third Party risks (personal injury of damage to property) must be in force. However, Section 143 does not apply to vehicles belonging to most Council authorities in England, Wales and Scotland, or to vehicles owned by police authorities. There are also one or two other categories of vehicles which are exempt.

However, in addition, insurance is not required for a vehicle owned by a person who has deposited and keeps deposited with the Accountant General of the Supreme Court the sum of �15,000. 

Also military vehicles have no insurance at all as the government investigate and pay out but are mot'd every 2 months.

Back