Jump to content

First time buying fan jets.


Bongofish

Recommended Posts

Just bought a new brush head from Gardiner and requested for the fan jets this time. 

Is there any different technique I should be using for the fan jets as I've only ever used pencil? 

I still have 2 brush heads with pencil jets in.

 

Thank you 

Link to post
4 hours ago, Bongofish said:

Just bought a new brush head from Gardiner and requested for the fan jets this time. 

Is there any different technique I should be using for the fan jets as I've only ever used pencil? 

I still have 2 brush heads with pencil jets in.

 

Thank you 

with fan jets I tend to allow the brush to slightly glide on the glass and rinse with an alternating swirl. 

Do what you feel best doing, its your clean your income 

Link to post
12 hours ago, Bongofish said:

Just bought a new brush head from Gardiner and requested for the fan jets this time. 

Is there any different technique I should be using for the fan jets as I've only ever used pencil? 

I still have 2 brush heads with pencil jets in.

 

Thank you 

In my six and a half years I've only ever used fan jets. Pencil jets have never made sense to me. My nutshell advice : keep the brush in contact with the window the whole time to get the maximum benefit, control and containment of the water usage. I have posted detailed descriptions of my technique in the past, I think it was around October last year. It was under the discussion subject, fan jets v pencil jets. It is a very divisive subject as you will see.

  • Like 1
Link to post
40 minutes ago, Davy G said:

It is a very divisive subject as you will see.

Just ignore the fan fans and revert to a proper rinsing system, pencils, as they haven't a clue 😘

Link to post

If you have lots of problem windows with dodgy rubber seals then fan jets are a nightmare....in fact I dont like them at all for regular window cleaning....

Link to post
17 minutes ago, dazmond said:

If you have lots of problem windows with dodgy rubber seals then fan jets are a nightmare....in fact I dont like them at all for regular window cleaning....

I've never found a window I couldn't clean successfully with fan jets. Including inky rubbers and milky frames.

Some folk convince themselves things won't work. For whatever reason. 🤔

Link to post

I used pencils only for a few years. Thought I'd spec fans with the flocked brush for the leaded windows. Of all my brushes, the only jets I've had a issue with its the fans. The things are not performing the same as when new, squirting out at all random angles (probably blockages that don't happen with pencils).

Link to post
15 minutes ago, Danfire said:

I used pencils only for a few years. Thought I'd spec fans with the flocked brush for the leaded windows. Of all my brushes, the only jets I've had a issue with its the fans. The things are not performing the same as when new, squirting out at all random angles (probably blockages that don't happen with pencils).

Probably the wrong brush, not set up properly and the bristles fouling the path of the water. The easy remedy is to trim some of the bristles to clear the way. We use only non flocked brushes, without issue. Rarely get a blocked jet. A simple remedy for that is to disconnect at the brush tee and blow back through the jet with an air-line jet nozzle.

Edited by Davy G
Link to post

I always used pencil jets as I like to use flocked brushes quite often. I did buy a Gardiner universal sill brush medium recently as the flocked isn’t in stock for a while, and got the 100 degree fan jets and they are really good. I haven’t really changed technique but have found they are particularly good on older windows where usually the water doesn’t sheet down very well when using pencil jets.

Edited by wgwindows
Link to post
RyeCleanLiam

I have tried every single damn jet going. 2 mm pencils, 1.4 mm pencils, 3 mm pencils, 50 fans, 100 fans, high and low pressure over the top rinse bar, Xline in the middle rinse bar. And guess what I concluded? I wasted all my money and still use 2mm pencils.

The fans give a lovely sheet especially on bigger panes or hydrophobic glass. But I personally don't find them accurate enough for regular use, and I also find there isn't as much weight in the sheet with fans. I tried rinsing on too or keeping the brush head just touching the glass.

I did a test on my front windows in direct sun. I did one with 2 mm pencils one with 100 fans. I used the same technique on each window, scrub frames first then glass. 30 seconds to a minute each window which is what I'd expect to spend on standard windows. The pencils dried lovely, unfortunately the fans dried with a few spots. That did it for me.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
22 hours ago, RyeCleanLiam said:

I did a test on my front windows in direct sun. I did one with 2 mm pencils one with 100 fans. I used the same technique on each window, scrub frames first then glass. 30 seconds to a minute each window which is what I'd expect to spend on standard windows. The pencils dried lovely, unfortunately the fans dried with a few spots. That did it for me.

I used pencil jets for over 11 years then switched to 50 degree fans not had any issues some windows you have to refine your technique as the over spray from the fans can flush dirt from the window reveals and cause the dirt to run on to the frame then glass, 

The negative's are they do block up more often but very easily sorted remove and just blow through which takes seconds also I have found with fans is on some bad first cleans they aren't as good as flushing out dirt from between the lower part of a window frame and sill, I have found them far better to flush dirt from trickle vents without too much water going through to the inside of the windows if the trickle vents are open on the inside of any windows this is a bonus on first cleans and regular cleans on jobs I do on developing housing estates. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
scottish cleaning service

I'm thinking of buying another xtreme 18 pole so I will have a spare. I don't have the time to strip down and retape so I have put some tape above the red band. This could be a nice side line for someone starting up who has a small round. They could charge £20 a pole and I certainly would be using their service and they could fit univalves as well. I mostly use the red jets now where I feel I get best of both worlds.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.