Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Van advice fix old or buy new

Pmac

I have a transit connect 2003, I have had an mot and been told that the sills need replacing innner and outter on both sides. Put a fair amount of work into the van The mileage is only 88,000 and condition of the van is good apart from sills.

I've been told I would need new sills welding into place which would cost a fair bit. I'm debating weather or not to get it fixed or have a new one, always see good advice on here if anyone has some advice would be muchly appreciated. 

I have a transit connect 2003, I have had an mot and been told that the sills need replacing innner and outter on both sides. Put a fair amount of work into the van The mileage is only 88,000 and condition of the van is good apart from sills.

I've been told I would need new sills welding into place which would cost a fair bit. I'm debating weather or not to get it fixed or have a new one, always see good advice on here if anyone has some advice would be muchly appreciated. 
When sill work is required it's most likely a few holes and corrosion that needs work. I've never known a transit connect to require a complete new sill replacement. I've got my brothers 2005 transit connect on my drive now which needed some sill work doing. To new repairs done on the outer side but nothing major. 

Considering your mileage which is low I'd get them done. It's an offset over repair or 4k for a new van.

It took me 4 hours to locate cut out and pattern repair patches. And i don't mean slap some tin on and weld. Flush inserted welded ground skimmed with 2 mil of filler primer white top coat and underseal. 

Preventive maintenance such as washing your van and especially underneath and inner sills in winter is a must. Mud salt all play their part in killing fords.

FORD - FIX OR REPAIR DAILY ?

Yeh ive got an 04 reg connect, only just over 100k on the clock, kept fully serviced etc as was ex bt van, and ive kept up the services. It did need some welding but I got it done and its been worth it really. does at least 45 mpg but im not stuck in traffic too often round here.

Just to add to my initial reply, This transit connect was ex NHS internal mail document van. Mint condition and always serviced regardless of cost.

I've also just replaced both front wishbones 

Both rear leaf springs and hangers 

bonnet 

Second hand factory color coded bumpers 

£532 in parts plus my time 

priceless in theory and an investment 

the turbo is immaculate and engine doe's not smoke at all. 

74,380 in total 

Well worth keeping on the road 

Hope that gives you hope 

depends what you are planning to replace it with. but id try to patch a repair to get through the mot and shop for a replacement van.

If the garage is telling you that both inner and outer sills need to be replaced, then it could either be that the sills are completely gone (unlikely) or they just don't want to do the job, knowing it's going to be a headache, so they priced it up to the max.

It would be worth paying a visit to a few bodyshops (note, NOT servicing garages) and see what they say about repairing the sills.

If everyone tells you that they have to be replaced, then it's just not worth doing so much work on a 2003 van, no matter how good it is otherwise.

The amount of money you're going to spend on replacing the sills could go towards a newer van, but obviously it will be a case of finding one in decent condition, doing your research, etc. Then unfortunately, you'll have to sell your existing van without an MOT, unless you can do a quick-fix on the sills, just to pass the MOT.

Alternatively, if your current garage are being lazy and the sills are okayish to be repaired, then as long as you get an acceptable quote for a repair, you should go for it, if you're happy with the van.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a couple of quotes first. It might be worth getting the sills fixed and it through an mot. That way you give yourself 6 months to look round for a newer van and plan your equipment move into a newer van. Plus you have a van to trade in or sell with an mot as it's always worth more with a ticket on.

Back