Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Same date every month ?

Azz1

Afternoon everyone. Today's question is, do you do the same customers on the same date every month or is it usually acceptable for a few days 'before' or ' after ' ? First time today I have had to let my customers down for to personal reasons. But did say I will aim to do tomorrow. How many days is general acceptable to, to do it before when it should be done anyway of that's makes sense. Thanks ?

I’m always late, occasionally upto a week, if the weathers been particularly **** or I’ve taken on some other work that’s gotten in the way. No one ever cares, but then my customers are only 6 weeks so it’s less predictable around a specific day in the month.

Being early when I’m trying to get ahead always gets a comment! Especially when I had 4 weeklys! 

Don't over complicate window cleaning @Azz1. If you have a schedule of every 4 weeks then a couple of days either side is fine. The same goes with any other cleaning schedule. If it's being done early and your schedule is every 8 weeks then just carry on. Don't tell the customer you are a few days early as you are inviting trouble.

If you are there every 4 weeks then our experience was that customers got a little tense with us coming early. 

We do have customers who haven't a clue when you last called but we do have a couple who write our clean dates down on their calender. These are usually the ones who complain if your are a few days early.

With you being new this is a minefield you will learn to negotiate with experience. You will lose customers through petty issues but that's part of window cleaning. Do you want a customer who knit picks? No, not really so it probably good to sift then out early.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 6 weekly but can be early or late by a few days and nothing is said.

6 weekly means the same week every 6 weeks not the same day 

Most of ours are 6 weekly. We aim to be within a day or two and we don't get too fussed as long as we're within that. If we're further out of sync for any reason : weather, holiday etc, we bring it back in line over the next few cleans.

This time of year and later if you can stick to schedule youll be a very very lucky fella.

I wont work in anything more than a light shower, im 4 days behind at the moment (Wed & Fri last week were torential) today and tomorrow i have motorbike lessons and tests, and below is the next 7 days forcast for my home.

Im expecting to be 7-10 days behind by end of next week.

This isnt the kind of job where you can ALWAYS be on time.

Thats one lesson i learnt fairly quickly, first 6 months i beat myself up terribly for letting people down, but now i know people dont really care aslong as you keep them informed.

Screenshot_20200928-204100_Samsung Internet.jpg

I’m monthly but I can return after four weeks with no problems. I don’t do this to get extra cleans, rather to get the work done as early as possible. Cause once it’s done I can take a few days off ?

Not the same date or even the same week, puts unnecessary pressure on yourself.

I just say ‘see you in roughly six to seven weeks’. 
That way you can have a few days off here and there without any grief ??‍?

i never understand these window cleaners who give a next clean date.....

THEY ARE TAKING AWAY ONE OF THE BEST THINGS ABOUT BEING A WINDOW CLEANER!.......FLEXIBILITY!!....

im roughly on time but move some work about here and there depending on other things ive got planned like holidays,days off,etc......
You can understand new window cleaners who are still building up their customer base being worried about the finer details. They don't want to upset any of their new customers for fear of loosing them.

We've been window cleaning for years and have an over full schedule. I don't feel that desperate to hang onto the odd customer who kicks off like I would have when I first started.

Over the years we have built up a good relationship with all our customers so they just leave us to arrive and clean when we can. I often tell my customers that we have the nicest customers as they put up with us.

If we are late and they want their windows cleaned for an occasion they usually just phone up and we oblige.

Thank You everyone. It really is appreciated, everytime when I have a question they is always someone on this forum that knows the answer and can help me out so Thank You to everyone ?

Thank You everyone. It really is appreciated, everytime when I have a question they is always someone on this forum that knows the answer and can help me out so Thank You to everyone ?
Haha! Thank you Azz. You'll always get an answer. Usually several, and often conflicting. Just pick what you think will be close to your needs. Put your own twist in if it's not quite what you're looking for. Before long you won't need to ask many. You'll be on the forum answering questions from other people, I reckon.

There are nearly as many opinions and ways of doing things as there are people. Free thinking is good. ?

For the first time in my window cleaning life I'm actually running a week behind (due to an electrical fire in the back of my van) I can't believe how many people have texted me asking when their windows are due to be cleaned, I didn't think people kept track of these things but clearly they do or maybe I've made a rod for my own back being on the dot every month. 

In regards to catching up I've got no chance as all my days are full so I just jump all of the missed work forward a week and crack on 

I’m two weeks behind on some cleans due to holidays and weather.

One or two might contact me and ask when I’m next coming but the others are fine.

Raining here today so taking the day off, that’s the beauty of being in control of your own business.

For the first time in my window cleaning life I'm actually running a week behind (due to an electrical fire in the back of my van) I can't believe how many people have texted me asking when their windows are due to be cleaned, I didn't think people kept track of these things but clearly they do or maybe I've made a rod for my own back being on the dot every month. 

In regards to catching up I've got no chance as all my days are full so I just jump all of the missed work forward a week and crack on 
I think you’re making life hard for yourself.

I’ve just had a week off and have no intentions of ‘catching up’.

This is the problem with set dates/weeks etc.

I have 4-5 holidays a year and just say to the customer, “I’ll be late round next time, yep another holiday”. Then just pick up where I left off ??‍?

I think you’re making life hard for yourself.

I’ve just had a week off and have no intentions of ‘catching up’.

This is the problem with set dates/weeks etc.

I have 4-5 holidays a year and just say to the customer, “I’ll be late round next time, yep another holiday”. Then just pick up where I left off ??‍?
I don’t try and catch up because I’d have no chance now that my rounds full I’d much rather just push the work forward and crack on.

I’ve only been going 2 years and been pretty much bang on the same day up until now so customers are surprised when I don’t turn up it’s my own fault really I need to learn to take a day off ??‍♂️

I don’t try and catch up because I’d have no chance now that my rounds full I’d much rather just push the work forward and crack on.

I’ve only been going 2 years and been pretty much bang on the same day up until now so customers are surprised when I don’t turn up it’s my own fault really I need to learn to take a day off ??‍♂️
Well done for getting a full round in 2 years. How did you achieve it, I'm very interested?

@ched999ukStarted of door knocking then leaflets and now Facebook ads... There’s a wealth of info on here mate and if you put in the work you can build a very good round within 12-18 months 

Cheers. I have read lots on here just wondered if you had a secret method ? 

Well done mate. 
I don’t think there is a secret method or if there is I haven’t found it yet. 

A bit of determination & perseverance is the only thing you need pal 

Best of luck mate keep us all updated and if you need anything just send me a message 

Back