Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Help the new man.

scampyharris

I've been a traditional windowcleaner the best part of 20 years, but now want to take tentative steps to water fed pole.

I've bought myself a pole, a pure freedom trolley and 8 containers. I'm planning to get my pure water by running it through a DI Vessel straight from my kitchen tap and into the containers, my house is an old victorian terraced underdwelling so the logistics of installing an RO system, plus i live in a softwater area are a no no. Is this a good idea?

Your help and suggestions will be much appreciated

You need to check your tds. If it's below about 100 then just DI will be OK but closer to 100 you get the money in resin it will cost.

If it's above 100 then RO is most economical way to go. If you go RO then you need to check tap pressure as well as ideally you need a minimum of 60psi (ideally 80psi) to get reasonable ratio of pure to waste.

Hope that helps?

I've been a traditional windowcleaner the best part of 20 years, but now want to take tentative steps to water fed pole.

I've bought myself a pole, a pure freedom trolley and 8 containers. I'm planning to get my pure water by running it through a DI Vessel straight from my kitchen tap and into the containers, my house is an old victorian terraced underdwelling so the logistics of installing an RO system, plus i live in a softwater area are a no no. Is this a good idea?

Your help and suggestions will be much appreciated
The first question is;

What is your taps water tds? First suggested purchase is a TDS meter from a wfp supplier; ie Daqua.

While DI water purification sounds the easiest option, there are other considerations. For example, resin is in short supply atm - like toilet rolls. Purifying water with resin is also expensive. Of course the other side to consider is if you are on a water meter.

The other thing is that you might not be able to last a day with 8 barrels just doing tops and tradding bottoms. Soon you will realise that mixing both methods saves water but isn't the best way. I figured that out in about an hour. I'm short so still needed a pair of steps to reach the top of the lower windows.

One of the local lads works out of the back of a trailer with his PF trolley. He has 15 plastic containers in the back of his trailer for a 'full' day's work. He takes the children to school and picks them up in the afternoon.

I started off with the PF trolley and within 3 months regretted it and put a tank in van.......the upside is I used battery, controller and pump from trolley for my van mount..........3 years down the line and I'm going to correct my next mistake and take out the 210 litre tank that I use with barrels as a supplement and put in 500 litre one.

Go straight for the in van tank and make it a reasonable sized one if at all possible....you'll end up there eventually but for less cost.

I started off with the PF trolley and within 3 months regretted it and put a tank in van.......the upside is I used battery, controller and pump from trolley for my van mount..........3 years down the line and I'm going to correct my next mistake and take out the 210 litre tank that I use with barrels as a supplement and put in 500 litre one.

Go straight for the in van tank and make it a reasonable sized one if at all possible....you'll end up there eventually but for less cost.
How much could you do with 210L?

You can buy new for around £159 
Yes I know. I already got prices as I looked it up earlier.

But I wasn’t asking how much it cost him. I’d like to know how long it lasted 200L in his work as he admittedly regretted not buying bigger so that he could’ve avoided some unnecessary cost.

Perhaps I put the question up in the wrong way ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I know. I already got prices as I looked it up earlier.

But I wasn’t asking how much it cost him. I’d like to know how long it lasted 200L in his work as he admittedly regretted not buying bigger so that he could’ve avoided some unnecessary cost.

Perhaps I put the question up in the wrong way ? 
Son and I do about thirty houses of mixed sizes with about 600 litres. Ie ten houses to 200 litres. These are done very quickly but very thoroughly. I hope that goes some way to answering your question.

Ps, 30 houses is a fairly busy 5 or 6 hours day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Son and I do about thirty houses of mixed sizes with about 600 litres. Ie ten houses to 200 litres. These are done very quickly but very thoroughly. I hope that goes some way to answering your question. ?
Apologies. I could get a days work out of 210L from working on semi's 10 windows a property and normal cleans 

Son and I do about thirty houses of mixed sizes with about 600 litres. Ie ten houses to 200 litres. These are done very quickly but very thoroughly. I hope that goes some way to answering your question.

Ps, 30 houses is a fairly busy 5 or 6 hours day.

Apologies. I could get a days work out of 210L from working on semi's 10 windows a property and normal cleans 
Thanks both, this info is very helpful. 10 was the average number I calculated with according to some other post here.

Whats an underdwelling? Is it a basement, and would you have to carry each barrel upstairs and out to the van? (you'll need more than 8 barrels)

if I was in that position I'd stay with trad, or just use wfp for hard to reach windows

Latest Posts

Back