Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Advice on swivel please!!...

Potta81

Hi guys,

I’m literally ready to order my first wfp & I want a swivel straight off the bat as I’m only doing fsg cleans with it for now & it’ll help me get used to it for when I’m cleaning glass.

can u guys point me in the right direction please? I’m going to drop 2 photos in now & any advise on which one to get would be of much help, cheers guys!

C2F15835-FEE6-4F62-B231-81CD35E9E061.png

1999ED9E-F325-4058-87C7-E2BCEDB9D6F6.png

Iam relitvely new to wfp 2yrs from trad of many years.First thing i wanted was a swivel,it just made sense. I have got a gardiner close fit swivel,ie the swivel is closest you can get to the back of the brush,some say that gives you a better feel ,Loved it,thought it a must must have.I was talking though to a much more exp wfp guy,about gfs,he said"swivel wouldnt use one"very dismisivly,So i thought ,thats odd,and took mine offWow,much more control power and ease of use, even on the glass,It hasnt been back on for the past year. how ever been thinking of having just recently for the glass,I think not for the gfs though,in my opinion the brush tended to run away from me in that circumstance.Good Luck thiugh.

Iam relitvely new to wfp 2yrs from trad of many years.First thing i wanted was a swivel,it just made sense. I have got a gardiner close fit swivel,ie the swivel is closest you can get to the back of the brush,some say that gives you a better feel ,Loved it,thought it a must must have.I was talking though to a much more exp wfp guy,about gfs,he said"swivel wouldnt use one"very dismisivly,So i thought ,thats odd,and took mine offWow,much more control power and ease of use, even on the glass,It hasnt been back on for the past year. how ever been thinking of having just recently for the glass,I think not for the gfs though,in my opinion the brush tended to run away from me in that circumstance.Good Luck thiugh.
Thanks for the reply mate, so your saying not to bother With a swivel for the fsg cleans & that the swivel is only really Beneficial When cleaning the windows?

I love my swivels for windows, but they're a pain on gutters. my gardiner one can be adjusted with a screwdriver so they do or dont swivel, as and when you need it.

If you get the swivel on the gooseneck and a standard gooseneck you can swap the top section of the gooseneck over by just undoing the gooseneck adjuster. So it only takes a few seconds to switch to a non swivel very easily if you need to on gsf. Swivels are a personal thing some like them some don't. Maybe worth spending an extra £10 to get both goosenecks.

Hi guys,

I’m literally ready to order my first wfp & I want a swivel straight off the bat as I’m only doing fsg cleans with it for now & it’ll help me get used to it for when I’m cleaning glass.

can u guys point me in the right direction please? I’m going to drop 2 photos in now & any advise on which one to get would be of much help, cheers guys!

View attachment 21926

View attachment 21927
I used a swivel for a week non stop and oh hell my wrists and forearms were shot. 

I personally think they are okay if lockable but every day using them puts your body through dance moves like hitman & her 

I gave swivel ago about six months ago I use it with a 45cm brush. I am happy with it have not issues using it I.e. joint pain. Would not go back to standard now. I don't use it for fsg. 

Hi guys,

View attachment 21926

View attachment 21927
I believe the swivel has allowed me to speed my window cleaning up by between 10 and 15 percent over the standard angle adapter. It took two attempts to get to master it.

The first time, I tried it on a busy day for a short while and could make no sense of it so I confined it to the spares shelf in the van. Then I read a conversation on the forum and some of the guys who's opinions always made sense to me were praising the swivel highly. I tried it again, this time with determination, on my own windows. I got the basic hang of it fairly quickly.

It needs to be set up correctly. I like it set fairly loose on the friction screw and the pole held with a light, relaxed grip. Works well with a lightweight brush (extreme sill is my preference). I think a short swivel works better than a long one to make it easier to twist the pole.

To get the hang of it, I stood in front of my house and worked on all the front windows from about two standing positions so I was sideways or diagonal to some of them, lightly twisting the pole to get both horizontal and vertical orientation of the brush and to get used to twisting the pole, rather than trying to force the brush flat to the window with brute force and ignorance. I'm a definite convert and use the swivel for all my maintenance washes, though for gfs a rigid angle adapter is better.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Potta81

I have both of those mate. The top one I use all the time for windows and it’s brilliant. The second one I put on a non-Gardiner brush to convert it I’d you see what I mean. It’s really good as well. Might be a bit of a fiddle on gutters but I did buy the Gardiner white pad and holder that fits on the gooseneck and you connect the jets to it (it was about £8.50 I think and the pads are disposable and are less than £2 each). With the swivel gooseneck on that it might be good as you could stand at an angle I suppose and get less water running down at you.

Using a swivel or not is very much a personal thing. The very thing one of us likes about them another will find irritating. My suggestion would be, learn to work well without one first and then try one and see how you get on.

I use the angled version of the second swivel in the OP for everything. Got so used to it now.

I was looking to get a swivel adaptor for when i can't get the right angle or have to stand to the side of the window.

What do you do to stop the hose from pulling back through? Would a tight rubber O ring do the job? Gardiner say a O clip but you wouldn't have anything to crimp down on

Back