Jump to content

Starting out would like to go the WFP


Recommended Posts

Hey guys gals

I might have to pivot into a new career soon due to Covid ect

I've been doing some research on equipment it was doing a google search on Unger Filter system that i came across you guys. I do live in an area where the water is proper hard like Reggie Cray hard!

Now as i understand it to just use a WFP i need to have pure water to stop water spots /streaks ect. Is there a cheaper alternative to the Unger that you guys use? I'm not sure how much water i'd go though on each job if i get that far, I'm lucky i already have a small reliable van.

Now the poles themselves I'm thinking i'd need to be able to reach 3 story so would 30ft be ok? I live in an area where a lot of new builds have popped up and most have skylights on the roof so would like to be able to reach them.

As much as the kits look nice on some of the websites i've visited i don't want to just buy whats convenient. Something that does the same job as the bigboy 2 backpack a 30ft pole that will last and something to make pure water is what i'm thinking at this moment in time.

 

I did read a thread where someone said just use normal tap water just to clean then rinse with pure water which would be a good idea. How are most people with you hooking up to their tap most people are on water meters now ect.

 

Thanks for any advice and i hope to stick around and keep you updated 🙂 

 

 

Edited by JEM
Link to post
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • JEM

    25

  • ched999uk

    11

  • Apw1210

    10

  • Davy G

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just something that might help determining how long a pole you need. Get a laser measure for about £21 from amazon here That way you can casually wander round your area and laser measure the distance

It's all just glass. Hydrophobic or hydrophilic ~ both, still just glass. No need for half the worrying that some people do. Phobic forms beads and rivulets, phylic forms nice sheets and is more pleas

I have a SLX27 and 2 extensions - they are scratched to hell after doing some skylights because as mentioned, they flex terribly on the gutters and tiles.  I now tell people that I will not do skyligh

Posted Images

There are plenty of recent threads that will provide the information you are looking for regarding systems. I would suggest you look at Gardiner pole systems for poles and brushes.

Somebody who suggests tap water for scrubbing and pure for rinsing on windows probably doesn't understand pure water cleaning.

Link to post

I think you might be confusing using tap water on conservatory roofs, then rinsing with pure. That makes more sense, but never wash house windows with ordinary tap water to then rinse with pure. Way too dodgy/risky, mate. 
 

I’d try find someone selling a van fitted tank they’re looking to upgrade on than go the backpack route . My 450L is ancient and looks it, but does the same job of a space-ship looking Brand new machine. Mine lasts me 6 hours work flat out. So 75L an hour non-stop, so you can use that as a marker for using a backpack. 
 

all the best mate 👍🏼

Link to post

Thanks guys,

It was actually doing a search that i found that suggestion about using tap water for first clean but never mind i'm glad i asked the question.

The van fitted tank wouldn't really work as i use the van for my fishing which gets fully loaded when I'm away for the odd weekend.

I think for starters some 25l containers filled with pure water to start with and a backpack would be the logical way to start.

It's just down to choosing the right wfp, carbon is very light so understand the benefit of that. what would be better out of Ali and Glass poles as i would need 25/30ft is the glass a bit to springy at length?

I'll check out the Gardner poles brushes for sure

 

Cheers

Edited by JEM
Link to post

Check out Gardiners poles - ideally the slx as it's carbon but they also do clx which is fibre glass/carbon composite. As you fish you will understand that a longer pole when used more horizontal (velux and dorma windows) will take quite a lot to hold the weight. Most people rinse the glass with the brush held a couple of inches away from the glass so weight is important. At 25 - 30 ft I would suggest an slx might be better choice but it depends on your strength at first.  

As for water have a search here for RO and DI.

Link to post

Honestly mate, apart from cleaning UPVC or polycarbonate roofs, forget the tap water idea.

You put that on glass and the sun comes out, you’ll have problems with limescale marks.

Pure water is your most important tool 👨‍🦰

Link to post

Gardiner poles are great, but might be pricey for starting out. 
Stay away from aluminium poles. Glass fibre might be your best option if Carbon too expensive. 
 

I've always used  Facelift poles, up until lockdown I bought a 50ft Garniner. I’ll be buying them in future, as they’re just “nicer” to work with. 

Edited by Clearview Lee
Mispell
Link to post

Lots to read up on and search 

TBF the Gardiner slx 22 which has a reach of 27ft isn't that bad a price for a carbon, i think I've seen others than are a bit more pricey but will do some searching.

With the spray jet options and brush options on the Gardiner options list, i'd be guessing if i had to choose. what spray jets and brush would you start out with?

Thanks for the tips guys

Cheers

Link to post
7 hours ago, JEM said:

Hey guys gals

I might have to pivot into a new career soon due to Covid ect

I've been doing some research on equipment it was doing a google search on Unger Filter system that i came across you guys. I do live in an area where the water is proper hard like Reggie Cray hard!

Now as i understand it to just use a WFP i need to have pure water to stop water spots /streaks ect. Is there a cheaper alternative to the Unger that you guys use? I'm not sure how much water i'd go though on each job if i get that far, I'm lucky i already have a small reliable van.

Now the poles themselves I'm thinking i'd need to be able to reach 3 story so would 30ft be ok? I live in an area where a lot of new builds have popped up and most have skylights on the roof so would like to be able to reach them.

As much as the kits look nice on some of the websites i've visited i don't want to just buy whats convenient. Something that does the same job as the bigboy 2 backpack a 30ft pole that will last and something to make pure water is what i'm thinking at this moment in time.

 

I did read a thread where someone said just use normal tap water just to clean then rinse with pure water which would be a good idea. How are most people with you hooking up to their tap most people are on water meters now ect.

 

Thanks for any advice and i hope to stick around and keep you updated 🙂 

 

 

Unfortunately an Unger hydropower DI will not work for you as your water is most likely 300ppm or higher. 

You'd use 6L of resin every few hours and a waste of money 

An unger hydropower will only perform with a tds of less than 100ppm 

 

You'd need an RO system along with a DI 

Link to post

Ok i see, thanks for the heads up.

I can't check the water hardness on Thames water maybe because its a new build area. But yeah it's hard because i've had to replace the shower twice in 6 years for that reason!

So my only two options are a RO system with a built in DI system included but i'd imagine i'd go through a lot of filters?

Or option two sign up to Spotless Water which i think is 3.5p a litre plus vat there is one about 15 miles away.

I need to work out which would be the better option long term

cheers

Link to post

Use spotless to begin, you won’t be using that much water initially while you start up, and once demand increases you can justify buying a 4040 ro system and you’ll never ‘outgrow’ that, rather than buying a smaller ro and needing to upgrade or struggling to produce enough water.

  • Like 2
Link to post

I know it would be a right pain.

I think it would be an option short term just to get things moving. if i had 8x 25 litre containers i think that would work out about £8 in water costs

I'd like to think that amount of water would last me a couple of days?

 

Link to post
8 minutes ago, JEM said:

I know it would be a right pain.

I think it would be an option short term just to get things moving. if i had 8x 25 litre containers i think that would work out about £8 in water costs

I'd like to think that amount of water would last me a couple of days?

 

You’ll use about 20-25l for on a regular 3bed semi, more for first cleans and probably more as you refine your technique.

so 200l will do 6-10 houses roughly.

Link to post
1 hour ago, JEM said:

I know it would be a right pain.

I think it would be an option short term just to get things moving. if i had 8x 25 litre containers i think that would work out about £8 in water costs

I'd like to think that amount of water would last me a couple of days?

 

Wow I go through 200L in half a day when going flat out 

Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, High-tower said:

You’ll use about 20-25l for on a regular 3bed semi, more for first cleans and probably more as you refine your technique.

so 200l will do 6-10 houses roughly.

I'd be happy if i started out and got 6/8 houses a day 

I think it would be slow even more so this time of year? How much does it slow down for you guys during the winter months if you had to put a % on it

Edited by JEM
Link to post
1 hour ago, JEM said:

I'd be happy if i started out and got 6/8 houses a day 

I think it would be slow even more so this time of year? How much does it slow down for you guys during the winter months if you had to put a % on it

Other than environmental factors such as ice snow and flooding not alot. Work with a correct layer system on. As you get warmer off comes a layer. Keep your head and hands dry and warm then home time 

Link to post
2 hours ago, JEM said:

I'd be happy if i started out and got 6/8 houses a day 

I think it would be slow even more so this time of year? How much does it slow down for you guys during the winter months if you had to put a % on it

the fact is(for me) it doesnt slow down...this job isnt seasonal!its all year round.....i earn just as much in winter as i do in the summertime.........ive been window cleaning for 27 years all year round.....

  • Agree 2
Link to post

Thats good to know about the seasons, we still get ours cleaned over winter when he does bother to turn up!

Would something like this work for delivering pure water?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VYAIR-4-Stage-Gallons-Aquariums-Cleaning/dp/B0862D81JZ/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=Reverse+Osmosis+Water+Filter&qid=1601538145&sr=8-26

 

Or would the fact i'm on a hard water area just kill the filters quick time

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.