Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Starting out would like to go the WFP

JEM

Hey guys gals

I might have to pivot into a new career soon due to Covid ect

I've been doing some research on equipment it was doing a google search on Unger Filter system that i came across you guys. I do live in an area where the water is proper hard like Reggie Cray hard!

Now as i understand it to just use a WFP i need to have pure water to stop water spots /streaks ect. Is there a cheaper alternative to the Unger that you guys use? I'm not sure how much water i'd go though on each job if i get that far, I'm lucky i already have a small reliable van.

Now the poles themselves I'm thinking i'd need to be able to reach 3 story so would 30ft be ok? I live in an area where a lot of new builds have popped up and most have skylights on the roof so would like to be able to reach them.

As much as the kits look nice on some of the websites i've visited i don't want to just buy whats convenient. Something that does the same job as the bigboy 2 backpack a 30ft pole that will last and something to make pure water is what i'm thinking at this moment in time.

I did read a thread where someone said just use normal tap water just to clean then rinse with pure water which would be a good idea. How are most people with you hooking up to their tap most people are on water meters now ect.

Thanks for any advice and i hope to stick around and keep you updated ? 

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of recent threads that will provide the information you are looking for regarding systems. I would suggest you look at Gardiner pole systems for poles and brushes.

Somebody who suggests tap water for scrubbing and pure for rinsing on windows probably doesn't understand pure water cleaning.

I think you might be confusing using tap water on conservatory roofs, then rinsing with pure. That makes more sense, but never wash house windows with ordinary tap water to then rinse with pure. Way too dodgy/risky, mate. 

I’d try find someone selling a van fitted tank they’re looking to upgrade on than go the backpack route . My 450L is ancient and looks it, but does the same job of a space-ship looking Brand new machine. Mine lasts me 6 hours work flat out. So 75L an hour non-stop, so you can use that as a marker for using a backpack. 

all the best mate ??

Thanks guys,

It was actually doing a search that i found that suggestion about using tap water for first clean but never mind i'm glad i asked the question.

The van fitted tank wouldn't really work as i use the van for my fishing which gets fully loaded when I'm away for the odd weekend.

I think for starters some 25l containers filled with pure water to start with and a backpack would be the logical way to start.

It's just down to choosing the right wfp, carbon is very light so understand the benefit of that. what would be better out of Ali and Glass poles as i would need 25/30ft is the glass a bit to springy at length?

I'll check out the Gardner poles brushes for sure

Cheers

Check out Gardiners poles - ideally the slx as it's carbon but they also do clx which is fibre glass/carbon composite. As you fish you will understand that a longer pole when used more horizontal (velux and dorma windows) will take quite a lot to hold the weight. Most people rinse the glass with the brush held a couple of inches away from the glass so weight is important. At 25 - 30 ft I would suggest an slx might be better choice but it depends on your strength at first.  

As for water have a search here for RO and DI.

Honestly mate, apart from cleaning UPVC or polycarbonate roofs, forget the tap water idea.

You put that on glass and the sun comes out, you’ll have problems with limescale marks.

Pure water is your most important tool ?‍?

Gardiner poles are great, but might be pricey for starting out. 
Stay away from aluminium poles. Glass fibre might be your best option if Carbon too expensive. 

I've always used  Facelift poles, up until lockdown I bought a 50ft Garniner. I’ll be buying them in future, as they’re just “nicer” to work with. 

Lots to read up on and search 

TBF the Gardiner slx 22 which has a reach of 27ft isn't that bad a price for a carbon, i think I've seen others than are a bit more pricey but will do some searching.

With the spray jet options and brush options on the Gardiner options list, i'd be guessing if i had to choose. what spray jets and brush would you start out with?

Thanks for the tips guys

Cheers

Hey guys gals

I might have to pivot into a new career soon due to Covid ect

I've been doing some research on equipment it was doing a google search on Unger Filter system that i came across you guys. I do live in an area where the water is proper hard like Reggie Cray hard!

Now as i understand it to just use a WFP i need to have pure water to stop water spots /streaks ect. Is there a cheaper alternative to the Unger that you guys use? I'm not sure how much water i'd go though on each job if i get that far, I'm lucky i already have a small reliable van.

Now the poles themselves I'm thinking i'd need to be able to reach 3 story so would 30ft be ok? I live in an area where a lot of new builds have popped up and most have skylights on the roof so would like to be able to reach them.

As much as the kits look nice on some of the websites i've visited i don't want to just buy whats convenient. Something that does the same job as the bigboy 2 backpack a 30ft pole that will last and something to make pure water is what i'm thinking at this moment in time.

I did read a thread where someone said just use normal tap water just to clean then rinse with pure water which would be a good idea. How are most people with you hooking up to their tap most people are on water meters now ect.

Thanks for any advice and i hope to stick around and keep you updated ? 
Unfortunately an Unger hydropower DI will not work for you as your water is most likely 300ppm or higher. 

You'd use 6L of resin every few hours and a waste of money 

An unger hydropower will only perform with a tds of less than 100ppm 

You'd need an RO system along with a DI 

Ok i see, thanks for the heads up.

I can't check the water hardness on Thames water maybe because its a new build area. But yeah it's hard because i've had to replace the shower twice in 6 years for that reason!

So my only two options are a RO system with a built in DI system included but i'd imagine i'd go through a lot of filters?

Or option two sign up to Spotless Water which i think is 3.5p a litre plus vat there is one about 15 miles away.

I need to work out which would be the better option long term

cheers

Use spotless to begin, you won’t be using that much water initially while you start up, and once demand increases you can justify buying a 4040 ro system and you’ll never ‘outgrow’ that, rather than buying a smaller ro and needing to upgrade or struggling to produce enough water.

I know it would be a right pain.

I think it would be an option short term just to get things moving. if i had 8x 25 litre containers i think that would work out about £8 in water costs

I'd like to think that amount of water would last me a couple of days?

I think it would be an option short term just to get things moving. if i had 8x 25 litre containers i think that would work out about £8 in water costs

You’ll use about 20-25l for on a regular 3bed semi, more for first cleans and probably more as you refine your technique.

so 200l will do 6-10 houses roughly.

Wow I go through 200L in half a day when going flat out 

You’ll use about 20-25l for on a regular 3bed semi, more for first cleans and probably more as you refine your technique.

so 200l will do 6-10 houses roughly.
I'd be happy if i started out and got 6/8 houses a day 

I think it would be slow even more so this time of year? How much does it slow down for you guys during the winter months if you had to put a % on it

I think it would be slow even more so this time of year? How much does it slow down for you guys during the winter months if you had to put a % on it
Other than environmental factors such as ice snow and flooding not alot. Work with a correct layer system on. As you get warmer off comes a layer. Keep your head and hands dry and warm then home time 

the fact is(for me) it doesnt slow down...this job isnt seasonal!its all year round.....i earn just as much in winter as i do in the summertime.........ive been window cleaning for 27 years all year round.....

Thats good to know about the seasons, we still get ours cleaned over winter when he does bother to turn up!

Would something like this work for delivering pure water?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VYAIR-4-Stage-Gallons-Aquariums-Cleaning/dp/B0862D81JZ/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=Reverse+Osmosis+Water+Filter&qid=1601538145&sr=8-26

Or would the fact i'm on a hard water area just kill the filters quick time
It would work as long as you have reasonable tap pressure (40psi+ ideally more like 80psi).

One thing to note is 50GPD is 50 US gallons per day 'in theory'.  A US gallon is about 4 liters so 50US GPD = 200 liters per day.

There are much more knowledgeable people here than me but my 2p is 200 liters per day would be more like 40 liters per 24 hrs of pure water and 160 liters of waste on a 4:1 ratio!!! 

OK so the above might be on the conservative side but it gives you an idea that a headline figure of 50GPD (200 Liter per Day) system won't produce anywhere near that figure of pure.

Back