Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Waterproof clothing

Johnwindow1987

Hi all, was out today and it rained like crazy, I need to invest in a good set of waterproofs I have seen loads online and message someone I know that works in the mountain wearhouse  has anyone had anything from there also what ones have u all got thanks I’m fed up of getting soaked not doing the old bones any good after a hard day. 

Hi all, was out today and it rained like crazy, I need to invest in a good set of waterproofs I have seen loads online and message someone I know that works in the mountain wearhouse  has anyone had anything from there also what ones have u all got thanks I’m fed up of getting soaked not doing the old bones any good after a hard day. 
British army goretex jackets and trousers. Not hi viz but will keep you warm and dryer than a nuns front bum 

Genuine goretex and not cheap army cadet cloned.

Heres an example 

Screenshot_20200930-214625_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200930-214558_Chrome.jpg

Tribord sailing jacket from decathlon....cost you around £90...these are great for winter wet weather working....I have 3 goretex shells too(bergaus and northface).....

I always have at least 2 in the van at any one time....on some particularly wet days I swap em at lunchtime so I've got a fresh dry one for the afternoons work....

Trousers wise I wear the hiking ones from decathlon(fleece lined)about£40...

Footwear I wear waterproof Caterpillar boots.....

I fish and i'm at the lake for the whole weekend so know how important it is staying warm and dry. I bought some salopettes from Aldi last year and they are amazing and they were only £30. So check out their fishing range when they have them in stock.

I've spent literally hundreds on jackets over the years. I’ve had the Mountain Warehouse stuff, 3 of them, waste of time for anything but showers. I’ve tried the Analogy Paramo Directional waterproof brand (decent for a month or so) then started letting water in. I’ve used the recommended Nikwax treatments as instructed on the jackets which it’s supposed to work….it’s worked for a very limited time, a few hours, and then the water comes in again. I've used the same gear they use on the TV series Deadliest Catch, known as foul weather clothing. This stuff feels a bit rubberized and does stop water coming in but you sweat from the inside out! Next up has been a North Face Gore tex jacket. Its ok but not great. Working in prolonged rain as some of us do, I’ve found it difficult to stay dry in all honesty. It sounds like Dazmond may have found something that works properly and for the duration of the day. I also have at least 2 jackets in the van over the winter to swap over when one of them is effectively useless. I guess the obvious answer is don’t work in the rain but if I adopted that idea down here, I wouldn’t be working more than a couple of days a week over the winter.

Ive yet to find a jacket that that will keep me warm and dry working all day in constant drizzly rain. The trouser wear however is a different story. The fishing gear I have ,a  bib and brace, made by Greys is excellent.

So not really a reply that gives you the answer of what works jacket wise but may give you an insight into what doesn’t really work.

I've spent literally hundreds on jackets over the years. I’ve had the Mountain Warehouse stuff, 3 of them, waste of time for anything but showers. I’ve tried the Analogy Paramo Directional waterproof brand (decent for a month or so) then started letting water in. I’ve used the recommended Nikwax treatments as instructed on the jackets which it’s supposed to work….it’s worked for a very limited time, a few hours, and then the water comes in again. I've used the same gear they use on the TV series Deadliest Catch, known as foul weather clothing. This stuff feels a bit rubberized and does stop water coming in but you sweat from the inside out! Next up has been a North Face Gore tex jacket. Its ok but not great. Working in prolonged rain as some of us do, I’ve found it difficult to stay dry in all honesty. It sounds like Dazmond may have found something that works properly and for the duration of the day. I also have at least 2 jackets in the van over the winter to swap over when one of them is effectively useless. I guess the obvious answer is don’t work in the rain but if I adopted that idea down here, I wouldn’t be working more than a couple of days a week over the winter.

Ive yet to find a jacket that that will keep me warm and dry working all day in constant drizzly rain. The trouser wear however is a different story. The fishing gear I have ,a  bib and brace, made by Greys is excellent.

So not really a reply that gives you the answer of what works jacket wise but may give you an insight into what doesn’t really work.
We have the paramo jackets not cheap but find them good we do regularly wash and re proof them , don’t find them good for warmth though you need under layers with them , they are wind proof and waterproof though , all the gortex jackets don’t breath you sweat with them same with gortex boots like you we have tried most makes best boots I have are harkila  GTX 100% waterproof if done with wax every few weeks , I regularly walk through water nearly ankle deep and feet are bone dry , the down side is they cost £250 a pair ??? 

As previously mentioned, British army Solder 95 Goretex for me. Two large waterproof breast pockets storm protected zips. It has a great hood but i don't do hoods as it buggers with my spatial awareness 

This one was brand new out of the packet and you can find G1 jackets from around £45 

I don't do brand names and don't bother wasting your money on anything sports direct or mountain warehouse sell. Its all tat 

20201002_234420.jpg

Best boots I have found are dirt boots £49 on amazon, feet are dry all day and there looking like they will last years!

Berghaus over trousers. £60

Berghaus jacket £250 both with plenty of zips to stop you getting too warm.

My winter/wet weather clothing that works very well for me, is very comfortable and easy to work in and is not expensive : Bush hat, tee shirt, polo shirt, Regatta Dover bomber Jacket, lightweight hiking trousers (Hi gear, Regatta or Craghopper), Armstrong leather boots. If it's very cold I'll add some or all of the following : fleece neck snood, sweater, extra tee shirt, thermal beany hat.

I rarely get very cold, wet or sweaty. The inside of the jacket generally stays dry for a five to eight hour working day to a level of rain that we will work in (steady but not torrential). It's light warm comfortable and easy to move in. We have our logo on the back.The inside of the boots which have cork insoles for warmth and comfort and are treated a couple of times a year with dubbin) never get wet. The jacket is stored overnight above the insulated tank In the van which is heated by a 2kw iimmersion. This is switched on as soon as we fill the tank in the afternoon. Enough heat escapes from the tank to make the inside of the van a drying room. The van is well insulated with foil backed bubble wrap on the roof and ply lining on the sides and floor. I almost never wear gloves except when emptying gutters.

This overall system does me the finest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am the same as part timer but you can't beat british army wet weather gear.

I was working 3hrs today in rain with a hard hat on so my shoulders were soaking. I generally just accept it if I need to do the job. Don't clean windows when its raining like today because customers are paying for a service but don't see the result. That's the way I see it unless its raining all month and I have no choice but to try and get a few hours in-between the showers.

Back