Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Taking people customers

NewbieSi

I’ve just started out by my self and posted some leaflets around a area where I had a couple of jobs already. I’ve had 3 or 4 people off one street asking me to do or take a look at theirs but the issue is they have already got a window cleaner and he does the rest of the street, I’ve not knowingly undercut as I didn’t ask them the price. Do I not do these as some unwritten rule or should I just do them and expect some grief off the guy? Don’t really want to step on peoples toes and make enemies before I make any contacts? 
I’ve already been told off another window  cleaner I need to change how I get my jobs because I took a restaurant off him, which is owned by a friend of mine.

Bit long but thanks for any advice 

I started up because the windy left and retired so I got most of my neighbours. I don't like the idea of taking someone else's business but if they choose to leave then its not your fault. I set out to talk with the opposition to let them know I was not a threat to their income and it went well. As I have a pension and don't need the business they were happy with it but it made them realise that its up to the customer to decide. I now make most of my money from cleaning, Driveways, Roofs and Pvc now but I have a hotwater system in the van to clean their windows after any cleaning has been undertaken. If you start poaching customers then expect discontent down the road. ?

The ones that have a window cleaner and have asked you are either looking for a cheaper quote, not the type of customer you really want, or their current cleaner isn't doing a very good job. When you look at the job you should be able to see, by the state of the windows, which type they are. I personally have no problem taking work off other cleaners, if they're not doing the job properly. However if they are then I would deliberately quote a few extra pounds higher than I normally would.

Having a conscience doesn't help you build a round, you're running a business and will upset people along the way. As long as you don't deliberately undercut others you shouldn't have a problem.

I’ve just started out by my self and posted some leaflets around a area where I had a couple of jobs already. I’ve had 3 or 4 people off one street asking me to do or take a look at theirs but the issue is they have already got a window cleaner and he does the rest of the street, I’ve not knowingly undercut as I didn’t ask them the price. Do I not do these as some unwritten rule or should I just do them and expect some grief off the guy? Don’t really want to step on peoples toes and make enemies before I make any contacts? 
I’ve already been told off another window  cleaner I need to change how I get my jobs because I took a restaurant off him, which is owned by a friend of mine.

It doesn't sound like you are deliberately pouching customers so don't worry too much about it. If it helps, when I started I would ask 'Just wondering if you need a window cleaner?' The ones that had a window cleaner but were price shoppers would often hesitate first before asking for a price and I would then ask if they had one already. Not the most pro but it meant I could hand on heart say I was nicking customers. I also know I'm one of the more expensive which helps.

Why did he say that to you? Commercial work is very fickle, so no surprise when they jump ship to someone cheaper.

If it helps, I've never been challenged by another window cleaner and I'll do a job or two on a streets I know have other lads working the entire estate. 

The ones that have a window cleaner and have asked you are either looking for a cheaper quote, not the type of customer you really want, or their current cleaner isn't doing a very good job. When you look at the job you should be able to see, by the state of the windows, which type they are. I personally have no problem taking work off other cleaners, if they're not doing the job properly. However if they are then I would deliberately quote a few extra pounds higher than I normally would.

Having a conscience doesn't help you build a round, you're running a business and will upset people along the way. As long as you don't deliberately undercut others you shouldn't have a problem.
The only caveat to this is folk that clean their own windows as they've been unable to find a window cleaner. Probably the best type of customers. They care enough about the home being clean they've done it themselves when they have no other option, but then are willing to spend good money for someone else to do it!

I would say it takes about two full years window cleaning to establish a strong base. After that the customers come and go and one new customer can lead to many more in same area. Fairly soon you weed out the bad payers and stick with a loyal happy bunch of customers, that's what happened to me. fwiw

Cheers for the replies. I’ll have a look at the windows when I go down and quote. Might just limit the ones I do for now. I think a couple of their issues was he’s just changed to wfp and they’re not happy with the end result. 

I have a simple rule, if I know that a particular house has a window cleaner I won't leaflet it, if I don't know it's fair game.

You have been asked by  prospective customers for a quote, that is why you have been leafleting is it not?. You work in the area, as do other window cleaners. If you have several inquiries from customers who already have a window cleaner so what. The current window cleaner may not be very good,unreliable, bolshie etc. or may charge a arm and a leg because no competition on the street. No idea, but if asked to quote, and you want the work. Carry on, look at the properties, decide how much you want to charge to do the job, tell them, and you will or will not get the job.

Back