Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Long time lurker

GarethParry

Hello folks,

Window cleaner amongst other things but living in Germany here were things are a little different.  Im a Brit who moved to Germany at the beggining of the year after serving here with the Army some time ago.  Been a lurker on the forums for a while so decided to join and say hello.

Gareth

Hello folks,

Window cleaner amongst other things but living in Germany here were things are a little different.  Im a Brit who moved to Germany at the beggining of the year after serving here with the Army some time ago.  Been a lurker on the forums for a while so decided to join and say hello.

Gareth
Guten Morgen und willkommen in der Familie ?

You should try Burger Meister in Berlin ? I didn't think burgers could taste that good! 

What's it like Window cleaning there? @GarethParry
Ah Berlin is a bit of a trek from where I live now, but been to Berlin many times have to remember that If I visit in future.

Its hmm interesting LOL I never actually did it in the UK so cant exactly compare it but I know the old window cleaner at my flat in Wales used to charge £8 and only did outside. 

Here a window cleaner self employed charges 30-40 euros an hour where I Iive, the big vat registered type companys charge 50+ an hour plus 19% tax.

Ive only been doing residential so far and have one smal business front on board and never been at a house less than a few hours, when inside and outside must be done, but luckily 90% of windows here can be done all from inside which is good considereing theres a lot more flats here than houses.  Theres also a lot of conservatories and almost all normal windows have inbuilt shutters which are cleaned too.  People tend to have the whole house/flat aond consvertaoy done once or twice a year, some quaterly.  And hardly any anything more than that unless you get business with big window fronts that want monthly.  

I do trad and WFP, but WFP is very different over here I have an osmosis system that I made myself by combining a 4040 RO system with a Unger hydropower system, we dont pre clean water n carry it around with us we use the customers supply (We used to just use the Hydrower DI but would use to much resin hence buyiung the 4040RO), but its definatly way better for cleaning consevatories and window shutters etc with than trad method or with cloths for shutters?

But im enjoying life here was definately the right move for me ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah Berlin is a bit of a trek from where I live now, but been to Berlin many times have to remember that If I visit in future.

Its hmm interesting LOL I never actually did it in the UK so cant exactly compare it but I know the old window cleaner at my flat in Wales used to charge £8 and only did outside. 

Here a window cleaner self employed charges 30-40 euros an hour where I Iive, the big vat registered type companys charge 50+ an hour plus 19% tax.

Ive only been doing residential so far and have one smal business front on board and never been at a house less than a few hours, when inside and outside must be done, but luckily 90% of windows here can be done all from inside which is good considereing theres a lot more flats here than houses.  Theres also a lot of conservatories.  People tend to have the whole house/flat aond consvertaoy done once or twice a year, some quaterly.  And hardly any anything more than that unless you get business with big window fronts that want monthly.  

But im enjoying life here was definately the right move for me ?
Hi there Gareth,

I'm a newbie too and I haven't introduced myself as of yet, not in the same manner I guess ? I just "politely" started asking questions! ?

I was advised not to suck the pros brains and then disappear with all the knowledge and become the next millionaire! So now that you have revealed yourself, you ought to stay and pay your dues! ?

Hi there Gareth,

I'm a newbie too and I haven't introduced myself as of yet, not in the same manner I guess ? I just "politely" started asking questions! ?

I was advised not to suck the pros brains and then disappear with all the knowledge and become the next millionaire! So now that you have revealed yourself, you ought to stay and pay your dues! ?
Well ill be hanging around, been watching the forums n reading etc for  over a year finally joined.  Dont think theres many dues I can pay as im not all that experienced ? but its all good 

@GarethParry the Americans have some on ebay if desperate 

View attachment 21994

View attachment 21995
Thats awesome Ill take a look at that thank you very much, id looked on ebay but never found any have to change my filteres so it searches more widely then ?

Well ill be hanging around, been watching the forums n reading etc for  over a year finally joined.  Dont think theres many dues I can pay as im not all that experienced ? but its all good 

Thats awesome Ill take a look at that thank you very much, id looked on ebay but never found any have to change my filteres so it searches more widely then ?
Just an idea as it wasn't long ago I was in Berlin, the Lewi brand are available in Germany. They are the same nasty blue colour but have a strong reputation in the USA 

Dont think theres many dues I can pay as im not all that experienced ? but its all good 
No matter how experienced you are you have knowledge to contribute. It may or may not be window cleaning related but a good set of diverse experience is always good. I originally trained as electronics engineer, worked as site electrician,  developing oil, developing jet engines, developing gas turbines, collaborative data systems, owned self catering holiday accommodation, built websites, and now starting to clean windows. So a diverse career path with different knowledge along the way. It's surprising how much you learn through life that comes in handy later in life. 

Just this evening I have been fixing an exercise bike - my partner has used it so much she wore out a bearing!!!! Must be a worlds first - wearing out a bearing on a piece of home exercise equipment - they are normally just used as clothes hangers after a few weeks  ? 

No matter how experienced you are you have knowledge to contribute. It may or may not be window cleaning related but a good set of diverse experience is always good. I originally trained as electronics engineer, worked as site electrician,  developing oil, developing jet engines, developing gas turbines, collaborative data systems, owned self catering holiday accommodation, built websites, and now starting to clean windows. So a diverse career path with different knowledge along the way. It's surprising how much you learn through life that comes in handy later in life. 

Just this evening I have been fixing an exercise bike - my partner has used it so much she wore out a bearing!!!! Must be a worlds first - wearing out a bearing on a piece of home exercise equipment - they are normally just used as clothes hangers after a few weeks  ? 
Ha ha yes very true never thought of it like that, Im also glad to see im not the only one with a rather different background to their current career path of window cleaning etc.

I was army for 13 years, Military police, Special Investigations Branch and CSI.  Left ther Army after 13 yrs to go to Uni and gained a bachelors in Forensic science.

Then after all this have moved to Germany where im pressure washing and window cleaning ?

I also build computers and websites so this is definately not a direction I ever foresaw myself going in but am happy I am ?

Back