Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Just cannot decide. Power Up 3D or another Reelmaster?

wonderer99

Hey all

Apologies, I know there will always be voices from both camps in discussions like this and I have read through every available thread on this and other sites. But I still dont know what to do for the best. 

In short I have had a Reelmaster for the last few years and it hasn't missed a beat.  Very happy with it, however it has now developed a fault which could be rectified easily but got me researching and discovering the positives (and negatives ) that seem to come from the Power up 3D which wasn't around when I got my Pure Freedom model. The weight difference and no corrosion aspects have me intrigued and money is no real issue so although it would be cheaper to fix my 3 year old reel I want to go with the better option moving forward.  Either get a new 3D or new Reelmaster and keep the one I have for spares or fix at at later date as a backup. So I have a couple (for now) questions. 

1. I have always used 8mm minibore but want to make the change to microbore 6mm. From what I can gather the 3D doesn't do as well power wise as the Reelmaster, especially around corners etc which worries me as that would happen a lot. However I am wondering whether the change from mini to micro hose would alleviate some of the power loss for me? Will I miss the soft start and anti snag properties of the Reelmaster?

2. The Power Up 3D is shown in marketing images and videos as having its inlet on either the left or right side. I would like to order online but there is no option for preference? Are they all sent one way as I really need the inlet on the left side due to space and layout of my van.  There is an option at checkout for additional info so can I just request it there?

Also now the 3D has been out a while is everyone happy with theirs? Anyone else made the changed and glad they did or wished they hadn't? 

Thanks all

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had both reels the pure freedom one is more powerful but the ones they sent me were both faulty m I have used a friend though , the 3 d ones are ok but if you are used the PF then I think you would be better off sticking tk that . 

98F3BF19-3C76-40A8-AA19-18EB1FA2EB11.jpeg

1F7F8002-4F8C-4E8D-9FFA-0607EA0090E1.jpeg

1833502A-64BC-4014-B712-F275FEFAC0CF.jpeg

BF0B684B-AE34-47D1-B8B4-07F2577FA557.jpeg

I have had both reels the pure freedom one is more powerful but the ones they sent me were both faulty m I have used a friend though , the 3 d ones are ok but if you are used the PF then I think you would be better off sticking tk that . 

View attachment 21961

View attachment 21962

View attachment 21963

View attachment 21964
Out today and the lad that works with me is sure the 3D reel is more power powerful now we have the new controller on it. I'm not sure if its a placeable, but when you get round to changing yours can you do a test? Would be interesting to find out ?

I have a broken controller and do need to replace it it still works but it got smashed where the bracket things go on to the main body bit , ti be fair the HD ck trollers are very robust I will get one of them when I have time to order one .

You mention going from 8 to 6mm...........

I tried going from 8mm to 6mm but the flow rate was to slow for me, so i switched back to the 8mm minibore. I think it can depend on where you get your hose from, because ive compared loads together and you can see a difference in the hose bore sizes from different sellers. I.E I was originally using xline 8mm minibore, and whilst the inner was closer to 9mm, giving a really great flow, the outer diameter is quite thick to handle like most minibore. My mate ordered some 8mm minibore from the C.W, and the inner is closer to 7mm and the outer the same thickness as most 8mm. The BEST all rounder ive found is the 8mm minibore from circuit hydraulics, which IS 8mm inner and a SLIMMER outer at 13mm. I took the 60m of the xline 8mm off my reelmaster, and replaced it with 70m of the thinner circuit hyd brand, and at 70m it still left more room on the reel than the previous 60m! I also tried the 6mm microbore from circuit hyd, and the inner was closer to 5mm, making me notice a massive flow difference over the minibore and was no good for me no matter what adjustments i made on the controller. Good luck

Hey all

Apologies, I know there will always be voices from both camps in discussions like this and I have read through every available thread on this and other sites. But I still dont know what to do for the best. 

In short I have had a Reelmaster for the last few years and it hasn't missed a beat.  Very happy with it, however it has now developed a fault which could be rectified easily but got me researching and discovering the positives (and negatives ) that seem to come from the Power up 3D which wasn't around when I got my Pure Freedom model. The weight difference and no corrosion aspects have me intrigued and money is no real issue so although it would be cheaper to fix my 3 year old reel I want to go with the better option moving forward.  Either get a new 3D or new Reelmaster and keep the one I have for spares or fix at at later date as a backup. So I have a couple (for now) questions. 

1. I have always used 8mm minibore but want to make the change to microbore 6mm. From what I can gather the 3D doesn't do as well power wise as the Reelmaster, especially around corners etc which worries me as that would happen a lot. However I am wondering whether the change from mini to micro hose would alleviate some of the power loss for me? Will I miss the soft start and anti snag properties of the Reelmaster?

2. The Power Up 3D is shown in marketing images and videos as having its inlet on either the left or right side. I would like to order online but there is no option for preference? Are they all sent one way as I really need the inlet on the left side due to space and layout of my van.  There is an option at checkout for additional info so can I just request it there?

Also now the 3D has been out a while is everyone happy with theirs? Anyone else made the changed and glad they did or wished they hadn't? 

Thanks all

Rich
I had a play with a 3D today and very impressed with it's construction and appearance. A few chaps have mentioned they could run faster but they seem okay to me 

You mention going from 8 to 6mm...........

I tried going from 8mm to 6mm but the flow rate was to slow for me, so i switched back to the 8mm minibore. I think it can depend on where you get your hose from, because ive compared loads together and you can see a difference in the hose bore sizes from different sellers. I.E I was originally using xline 8mm minibore, and whilst the inner was closer to 9mm, giving a really great flow, the outer diameter is quite thick to handle like most minibore. My mate ordered some 8mm minibore from the C.W, and the inner is closer to 7mm and the outer the same thickness as most 8mm. The BEST all rounder ive found is the 8mm minibore from circuit hydraulics, which IS 8mm inner and a SLIMMER outer at 13mm. I took the 60m of the xline 8mm off my reelmaster, and replaced it with 70m of the thinner circuit hyd brand, and at 70m it still left more room on the reel than the previous 60m! I also tried the 6mm microbore from circuit hyd, and the inner was closer to 5mm, making me notice a massive flow difference over the minibore and was no good for me no matter what adjustments i made on the controller. Good luck
Having had 8 mm we switched to 6 mm when we went hot water 6 years ago.  Once you get used to it 6 mm is fine it is less flow than 8 obviously but just up your flow rate on the controller a bit , 8 mm is so heavy compared tk 6mm we do  still use some 8 mm when softwashing and I hate using it now , just perceiver with the 6 mm it’s good stuff and so much easier to use .  

Still waiting to receive my Power up 3d but I'll let you know. Haven't had a power reel before so can't compare it to any others, but looking forward to it!

Having had 8 mm we switched to 6 mm when we went hot water 6 years ago.  Once you get used to it 6 mm is fine it is less flow than 8 obviously but just up your flow rate on the controller a bit , 8 mm is so heavy compared tk 6mm we do  still use some 8 mm when softwashing and I hate using it now , just perceiver with the 6 mm it’s good stuff and so much easier to use .  
If your using hot water, ive heard 6mm is fine as hot flows faster than cold. But i use cold so 8mm minibore is best for me, and i sold the 6mm microbore straight on after trying it. But in fairness it was 100m of the 6mm microbore i tested with cold water, which is a third longer and a thinner bore than the shorter 60/70m of 8mm i normally use. cheers m 

If your using hot water, ive heard 6mm is fine as hot flows faster than cold. But i use cold so 8mm minibore is best for me, and i sold the 6mm microbore straight on after trying it. But in fairness it was 100m of the 6mm microbore i tested with cold water, which is a third longer and a thinner bore than the shorter 60/70m of 8mm i normally use. cheers m 
I used 6 mm with cold water for 15 years and it does work fine in the winter you would need to increase the flow rate due to increased viscosity of cold water but it’s just a case of getting used to 6 mm it’s up to you but you are making life very hard fir yourself using 8mm 

I used 6 mm with cold water for 15 years and it does work fine in the winter you would need to increase the flow rate due to increased viscosity of cold water but it’s just a case of getting used to 6 mm it’s up to you but you are making life very hard fir yourself using 8mm 
My webasto heater fired up and then died away today. My batteries were only half charged so I'm charging them overnight tonight. Used cold water today and in the sun it wasn't too bad with 6mm. Not sure how it would work at 1 degree temp and 6mm hose? Any thoughts welcome. 

My webasto heater fired up and then died away today. My batteries were only half charged so I'm charging them overnight tonight. Used cold water today and in the sun it wasn't too bad with 6mm. Not sure how it would work at 1 degree temp and 6mm hose? Any thoughts welcome. 
I used 6 mm hose and cold water for  15 years it works fine but hose is like wire when cold ???

Used 6mm from the start, Scottish. Only thing I need to do is when it gets cold re-cal the pump ?

This hose from C.H is kind of inbetweener, regards to the outer size of minibore/microbore, its that slim! call them and get a sample? But their 6mm was no good for me. I use new'ish100ah yuasa efb batts, rotated daily (charged with a victron 15 amp smart) shurflo 5.2l, and the OLDER v9 controller, i changed the wiring to a slightly heavier gauge a year ago. I also have a volt/amp meter hooked up b4 the controller, to help me know what the draw is whilst its running. BUT given the above the 6mm still didn't work well? AND trust me i really wanted it to! 

This hose from C.H is kind of inbetweener, regards to the outer size of minibore/microbore, its that slim! call them and get a sample? But their 6mm was no good for me. I use new'ish100ah yuasa efb batts, rotated daily (charged with a victron 15 amp smart) shurflo 5.2l, and the OLDER v9 controller, i changed the wiring to a slightly heavier gauge a year ago. I also have a volt/amp meter hooked up b4 the controller, to help me know what the draw is whilst its running. BUT given the above the 6mm still didn't work well? AND trust me i really wanted it to! 
We have used 6 mm microbore from , Varitech, Gardiners , Grippatank, and Wintecs and found them all ok with cold , obviously hot water will make the hose swell and expand giving better flow but we used all the above with cold for years with no problems, maybe circuit hydraulics stuff is an odd size ???  

We have used 6 mm microbore from , Varitech, Gardiners , Grippatank, and Wintecs and found them all ok with cold , obviously hot water will make the hose swell and expand giving better flow but we used all the above with cold for years with no problems, maybe circuit hydraulics stuff is an odd size ???  
maybe circuit hydraulics stuff is an odd size ???

Yea i was thinking this, as when i measured the inner of their microbore it was closer to 5mm like pole hose.

Good old Ashley Mackintosh has just uploaded his video of his new reel. 

Would be great if it was designed with a better switchable orientation with regards to it's dexterity features 

Would be great if it was designed with a better switchable orientation with regards to it's dexterity features 
Which reel is it ? If it’s the 3D you can have them in matching pairs mine are .

I was thinking exactly the same while watching his vid. They missed a trick by not putting their logo on both sides!!! Think about how many Youtubers show the back of the van and now Ashleys won't show the logo of his new reel!!!! Also I don't like switches in the 0v line (switching cables round on battery end). Always bothers me that if something always has +ve a simple short to chassis on the switch wire can cause the device to run and the fuse wouldn't be active. Bad practice in my books.

I was thinking exactly the same while watching his vid. They missed a trick by not putting their logo on both sides!!! Think about how many Youtubers show the back of the van and now Ashleys won't show the logo of his new reel!!!! Also I don't like switches in the 0v line (switching cables round on battery end). Always bothers me that if something always has +ve a simple short to chassis on the switch wire can cause the device to run and the fuse wouldn't be active. Bad practice in my books.
The controller was fitted with a £2 universal vehicle rally style start button hence why a spare was also provided. Yes the polarity was shocking

Me personally hate the look of it. Over priced over decorated 

It's only a hose reel 

Back