Welcome to the UK Window Cleaning Forums

Starting or own a window cleaning business? We're a network of window cleaners sharing advice, tips & experience. Rounds for sale & more. Join us today!

Silicone grease removal

Marko067

As above really. 

The window concerned looks as if someone has tried to fix a leaking seal, first with silicone sealer and when that hasn't worked they've followed up with silicone grease. Unfortunately I didn't notice the grease till I'd got it on the brush and smeared it over the window. Getting it off was awful. The regular degreaser I use (SF no nonsense) wouldn't touch it.

How do you guys go about cleaning this type of grease off glass and brushes?

As above really. 

The window concerned looks as if someone has tried to fix a leaking seal, first with silicone sealer and when that hasn't worked they've followed up with silicone grease. Unfortunately I didn't notice the grease till I'd got it on the brush and smeared it over the window. Getting it off was awful. The regular degreaser I use (SF no nonsense) wouldn't touch it.

Damp microfiber cloth work wonders for removing silicone off glass.

Check out the video below.

https://youtu.be/xf44hlzKWi0

As above really. 

Hand sanitizer works well or elbow grease from poundland 

I have never found anything that will remove silicon 100% it always leaves marks on the glass and repels water 

Tell the customer to get the tradesman back that made the mess in the first place to clean it up himself and that he also owes you a brush.? Only joking. Solvents, glass restorers and a good scraper done with trad equipment and a lot of elbow grease should do it. 
Pita when something like that happens. Some of my custys have took upon their self’s to go over their doors with wd40 in the past for its cleaning abilities and it gives a nice sheen. Yes it does work but not good when I put my brush to it?

Its always too late before you realise as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem wasn't so much the silicone sealer as that had set in the usual way but hadn't stuck so just peeled off. It was the silicone grease they'd applied as well. Regular grease, oil, WD40 and such comes of with regular degreaser. But this silicone grease is different.

Silicone oil or whatever they are putting on new composite doors to make them look super shiny is pia, I have learned to spray a newly fitted door with water first and if it beads like mad I simply rinse the door down I have also had custys apply to older window frames so the frames don't get cleaned anymore otherwise it coats the bristle tips 

Silicone oil or whatever they are putting on new composite doors to make them look super shiny is pia, I have learned to spray a newly fitted door with water first and if it beads like mad I simply rinse the door down I have also had custys apply to older window frames so the frames don't get cleaned anymore otherwise it coats the bristle tips 
Yes we have had a few customers that have put silicon oil on there window frames over time it gives into the glass causing staining that we have been unable to remove from the glass , I now won’t clean any windows that have had it applied I have tried several products to remove it and not found anything that works very well if you aren't carefull it  gets in the brushes and they you contaminate other customers windows , plenty of work out there so we just dump the job and replace with another . 

The problem wasn't so much the silicone sealer as that had set in the usual way but hadn't stuck so just peeled off. It was the silicone grease they'd applied as well. Regular grease, oil, WD40 and such comes of with regular degreaser. But this silicone grease is different.
Try  De-Solv-it Pro Contractors Solvent it's a strong silicone and adhesive remover. Spray on let dwell for a few use a white scrub pad to agitate and then mop and blade the window. It may take 2 applications but it goes quick. Ive done alot ccu and hardwater stain removal. 

Hope this helps you.

Try  De-Solv-it Pro Contractors Solvent it's a strong silicone and adhesive remover. Spray on let dwell for a few use a white scrub pad to agitate and then mop and blade the window. It may take 2 applications but it goes quick. Ive done alot ccu and hardwater stain removal. 

Hope this helps you.
Sounds like it could be what I'm looking for.  This doesn't crop up often but when it does it's a real pain.  Previous time was with a uPVC front door where the sealer that held the glass in place broke down after a few years and turned into a nasty mucky gunk that just smeared all over the glass and was real difficult to remove.

Thankyou

Sounds like it could be what I'm looking for.  This doesn't crop up often but when it does it's a real pain.  Previous time was with a uPVC front door where the sealer that held the glass in place broke down after a few years and turned into a nasty mucky gunk that just smeared all over the glass and was real difficult to remove.

Thankyou
Its has work well for me for years.

Your welcome I hope it helps.

Yes we have had a few customers that have put silicon oil on there window frames over time it gives into the glass causing staining that we have been unable to remove from the glass , I now won’t clean any windows that have had it applied I have tried several products to remove it and not found anything that works very well if you aren't carefull it  gets in the brushes and they you contaminate other customers windows , plenty of work out there so we just dump the job and replace with another . 
Hopefully it won't leach onto the glass as it's only a light coating another custy put a fair amount on faded black composite door and it ran off and stained the white pvc sill/step yellow he got some of it off but not all. 

Back